Is the header sound different by brand? | FerrariChat

Is the header sound different by brand?

Discussion in '360/430' started by channy2, Oct 14, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. channy2

channy2 Rookie

Apr 19, 2017
    It can be seen that the exhaust line type is different.
    Now my F430 uses the Topspeed header.
    But I don't like the sound. I don't like the sound like AMG.
    If you change to a different brand header, let me know if there is a sound difference! please.

2. Speedracer800

Speedracer800 Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    Almost certainly not just by changing the header. I'm assuming your car has the rest of the exhaust changed as well.. The other components are really where you can change up the noise. Perhaps post some additional information in regards to the "aftermarket" components you have installed currently and from there I'm sure others can offer some suggestions.

3. vvvmd

vvvmd F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2003
    close to the Hub
    Full Name:
    Victor Villarreal
    There may bea difference in the sound from a 4-2-1 like Capristo and 4-1 design like Fabspeed header blankets and such ,ay make a slight difference as well

4. koop

koop Formula Junior

Apr 30, 2011
    I tried both fabspeed and capristo headers on my scud. I preferred the capristo

5. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Most people prefer the 4-2-1 design because it moves the power band lower in the rev range. You can feel more mid-range torque because there is more. You give up some top rpm power in exchange.

https://www.redline360.com/garage/4-1-vs-4-2-1-headers-what-is-the-difference-what-makes-more-power

In my younger days, I really wanted a set of 4-2-1 Holley headers for my street Chevy, but couldn’t afford them. 4-1 headers were more common and cheaper for that car.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

6. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    It depends on what exhaust you have installed and what sound you are after.

Here's mine with Agency Power Headers and Kline Innovation Exhaust:

Dan

7. koop

koop Formula Junior

Apr 30, 2011
    I did notice a bit more midrange power with the capristo 4-2-1 headers vs the fabspeed 4-1. It was subtle though and possibly just in my head.

8. djempire

djempire Formula Junior

Apr 30, 2012
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Serf
    Unlikely to change on how it sounds. I have the TS headers and the sound is a bit lower in the frequency scale with stock cats and muffler. I almost always get a positive comment on how it sounds. I will be installing the S Line system over the winter and that frequency will change drastically.

9. Joe@Fabspeed

Joe@Fabspeed Karting
    Sponsor

Jul 1, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Joe Fabiani
    Yes the design of any and all headers affects the sound signature of any car and in particular a flat crank Ferrari 430.

Other factors also influence and determine the sports car sound and power of these wonderful cars.

In 2004, over 22 years ago, I designed and engineered and tested over 4 different styles of headers for the Ferrari 430 on the street, race track and DYNO. Before that I designed, engineered, and perfected Ferrari headers for the F355 both the 5.2 and 2.7 injected cars and then moved onto the F360 cars so my engineering team. Fabspeed has the most experience in designed headers for these cars.

Back the the F430 header and sports car sound signature and power increases.
    . Ultimately the very best header that we found was a 4 into 1 design with an INDY car/ Formula 1 style high velocity merge collector. I personally evaluated various sizes of header tubes, lengths and bends and the very best sports car sound and power were my Fabspeed Motorsport headers that were pioneered over 22 years ago. I got requests from other German and Italian tuners to purchase and private label my Fabspeed Ferrari header line and I said no.

FYI- there are some terrible Ferrari header knock-offs on the internet with super small primary header tubes (one was actually mentioned above) employing “cheated convoluted bends” that actually hurt power, leak, crack and fail over time. Fabspeed headers for 355 and 360 come with heat shields for alternators and A/C compressors as needed. Fabspeed Motorsport Ferrari headers are the finest construction and feature Equal length primary header tubes, F1/Indy car style high velocity merge collectors and all Fabspeed headers hand welded and backpurged with argon during construction by craftsmen.

Lastly, thermal blankets will absorb reduce certain sounds and harmonics. I can guarantee you installing Fabspeed headers on any 355, 360, 430 and 458 really wakes up low, midrange and top end performance to redline and compliments any Ferrari OEM factory components and all other aftermarket exhaust systems. The engine simply breathes and volumetric efficiency and scavenging are greatly improved with the Fabspeed Motorsport Original Ferrari header design.

“My fellow Ferrari enthusiasts- headers require design and engineering and don’t assume that all headers perform and sound the same as headers to the unaided eye…….. simply look like shiny stainless steel tubes that resemble like a bundle of snakes!”

If any of you Ferrari owners want to cruise by our 25,000sqft facility and check out Ferrari’s equipped with our headers that will open up and whole new dimension of sports car sound and power.

Joseph Fabiani President

Fabspeed Motorsport USA

155 Commerce Drive

Fort Washington, PA 19034-2401

United States of America

215-646-4945 (9828fax)

www.fabspeed.com

EXOTIC CAR PERFORMANCE EXPERTS

Dyno developed high performance exhaust systems for Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini, McLaren, Maserati, and Bentley cars.

Mimmo Blue likes this.
  10. Zed82

Zed82 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2017
    Sweden
    Has anyone compared different 4-1 header brands and the sound they produce? Like the OP i suspect that Top Speed sound deeper then other brands. I have also heard Top Speed with S-line and in lower revs it sounds very much like a muscle car.

11. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    I have Capristo 4-2-1, there are great