The "infamous" Mel Spillman Ferrari GTO | FerrariChat

The "infamous" Mel Spillman Ferrari GTO

Discussion in '308/328' started by dave80gtsi, Oct 27, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dave80gtsi

dave80gtsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dave Meredith
  2. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Nice looking car. I wonder how much they are trying to get out of it?

3. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Is that a track car only? Street legal?

4. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Listing says “another $100,000 spent to restore it back to roadworthy standards.”
    Wonder what reserve is on it. Quite the machine. Gorgeous in black.

5. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    The chassis number startled me for a moment. My first ride in a Ferrari was #35455 back in 83 when I was 15.

I thought someone had chopped it up (again)

6. chris1866

chris1866 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I am typically not a fan of the "standard" 308 -> 288 conversions, but this is a very cool car. Wonder what he thinks it's worth...

7. dave80gtsi

dave80gtsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dave Meredith
    Actually, the main point of the thread was to hope that one of you here would explain the 'infamous Mel' part of the ad!

Seems like the seller is assuming that his audience will recognize the name, and thus will know of the car's history?

DM

8. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I never heard of it before but when I looked it up in Mathis' (sp) book to see if it was the one I mentioned earlier, it was in there as this conversion.

9. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    For all the money spent on this car you could have purchased a real GTO.

308 milano likes this.
  10. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Look him up. Spillman was the little county clerk who stole dead people's money and estates and built a nice car collection (among other things) with the spoils. Scumbag of the highest order. I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole, bad...bad karma. I don't know if he's stll around but Carpenter was on here at one time. He did a lot of the body work for these conversions. I bought a used spare tire surround from him once. Nice enough guy.

m5shiv and 308 milano like this.
  11. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    #11 308 milano, Oct 29, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2019
    That’s some crazy stuff! Would think a county clerk sporting a black 288 GTO would raise some red flags. Also started his own race team.

12. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    I spoke to Jim last month. He was helpful and nice. I think he has Wash State phone number though, but splits time in AZ/WA (if I understood him correctly). He knows a lot about FCars for sure.

13. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Sorry, yes ...Texas, outside of San Antonio somewhere.

Yes considering a NEW 288GTO was a hard sell, in the $80Ks, when a 308 was $27 to $30K, this car was kind of pointless.
    They hauled him off to Jail he's dead or out by now certainly??

14. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Sorry, well known Texas scammer..

15. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    He does. If I remember right, and I may not, I think I met him at an antique shop in Olympia when I picked up the part. I think he said his wife ran it.

19633500GT likes this.
  16. bert308

bert308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2002
    Roermond Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert Kanters
    Here is a recent video with Carpenter:

17. 83911SCDrew

83911SCDrew Karting

Oct 21, 2018
    Bernardsville
    Full Name:
    Andrew K
    One thing that really jumps out at me about this customization is the Porsche
    -sourced G50 transmission. Is this a common modification, and I wonder how difficult it is to accomplish? Even though the Ferrari gearbox is kind of iconic in its design and function, there is no doubt that the G50 is a much smoother and usable transmission. Of course, these transmissions are not an expensive either so it would not be anything like a cost savings.

18. bert308

bert308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2002
    Roermond Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert Kanters
    It's because the engine here is mounted longitudinally like a GTO, better layout for twinturbo.

308 milano and 83911SCDrew like this.
  19. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
  20. dave80gtsi

dave80gtsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dave Meredith
    Oh, wow. Interesting Wiki link per Rob's thread note above - I had no idea.

So, does the 'fame' of the former owner of the car add to, or detract from, the car's mystique and perceived value?

21. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I don't think it takes away or adds any value. I don't think any expense was spared, but any mod car will just get pennies on the dollar.

22. topcarbon

topcarbon F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2006
    Past owners aside
    The 288 is (to me) one of the prettiest car designs ever.
    In black it looks brutal even though it sits on a 308.

308 milano likes this.
  23. Fort Worth 360

Fort Worth 360 Formula Junior

Jan 3, 2008
    Fort worth Texas
    #23 Fort Worth 360, Oct 31, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
    I will contribute to this thread knowing some will and are certainly respected for their opinions.

I knew Mel pretty well having spent time over several years at Ferrari Club events, race weekends and even turning wrenches for him in his shop.

I always found him to be a nice kind man who enjoyed the brand and the people associated with it. He had a passion for Ferrari’s and was a great steward in their care.

That being said no one had any thoughts about his financial position Like most of us were raised not to ask about people’s finances we just assumed he had a nice trust or inheritance to draw from.

Was he guilty for what he had done. Yes certainly so. My opinion is that what started as a bad one off decision grew into something larger. It was justification. If a family was not to be located when probating a “John or Jane Doe’s” estate why give the money to the government.

I am not condoning what he did but I don’t believe he was a bad person in every other part of his life.

He paid his debt, did the time. I am sure given 20/20 hindsight he would have not chosen the path he did.

My two cents.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

24. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    that's not truthful! you are spreading lies here that you either believed from Mel or for some other twisted justification. there were victims! Mel hid estates from families and spent the money on his Ferraris that should have gone to them or charities. this was not a victimless crime, take that ******** elsewhere.

I've heard this reasoning before, people that think you should get a clean slate "once you do your time". I'm not black and white about that perspective, but I certainly lean towards never forget, you always have a record, and bad people are bad people. Sure some are rehabilitated, find Jesus, or get sober etc and truly become good people the rest of their lives. How about people that were never bad in the first place? How about the high probability of repeat offenders, statistically speaking it factually supports my point bad people are bad people. Just look at yesterday with Josh Hamilton, after his troubles he became a model Christian and so perfect. ********, Josh getting booked for endangerment to a child isn't the last time we'll hear Josh doing wrong over his life.

Most people that make the argument to forgive and forget or doing your time cancels everything out, usually are empathetic because they have gone off the straight and narrow path themselves.

GatorFL likes this.
  25. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Not saying it was Ok by any means, but The story is intriguing to me. If Mel were to write a book on the subject, how this came about from beginning to end, I would probably buy it.