Water pump rebuild | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Water pump rebuild

Discussion in '308/328' started by RGigante, Apr 4, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ferrari308john

Oct 25, 2008
    San Ramon, Ca
    Full Name:
    John Sims
    Nice Job.. i just did mine last week and doing another one that i bought from Ebay....

2. bill brooks

bill brooks F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2007
    waynesburg,pa
    Full Name:
    bill brooks

a good dog doesn't hurt either.

3. fastradio

fastradio F1 Rookie
    BANNED Professional Ferrari Technician

Apr 26, 2006
    New England
    Full Name:
    David Feinberg
    #28 fastradio, Apr 6, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. Robz328

Robz328 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 16, 2009
    ATL, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Rob Hemphill
    This is nice...I vote sticky too!

Beautiful dog...already oil-colored and ready for the FCar workout.

5. RGigante

RGigante F1 Rookie
    Owner Project Master

Nov 1, 2006
    Portugal
    Thanks! How does one ask for it?

6. Volodymyr Martsinkovskyi

Apr 28, 2019
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Vlad
    Hey Guys,,

I'm in the process of doing my belts and noticed a droplet of water on the pump. I took it apart to confirm my suspicions. Everything looks ok still, but the spindle sleeve that the seal sits on is too gone.

I'm struggling to find what the pump part number is, and what spindle I need to buy. Based on the bearing size, do I have the large bearing pump 121253? And is the spindle pn 121253?

Looks like a spindle will cost me $200, plus the bearings and the seal. Is it still worth rebuilding, or do I have better options?

Attached Files:

7. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    If the housing is not badly corroded these pumps are always worth rebuilding. And after the rebuild much better than ANY of the junk, which is currently available from the official parts dealers. Every mechanic with a lathe is able to restore the seal seat. I do it each time I rebuild these waterpumps. With the needed skills and care such a restored shaft is better than most of the new ones available. I have seen some with almost half a mm radial runout tolerance between bearings and seal seat, what means they are plain junk. The older pumps with the two-piece seal I convert to the latest version with the one-piece seal.

If costs are not an issue, one option I would recommend is this:

https://www.nicksforzaferrari.net/nff-performance-water-pumps.html

Best from Germany
    Martin

8. Lawrence Coppari

Lawrence Coppari Formula 3

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    My last rebuild was done by Flying Dutchman slightly over 2 years ago. No leaks. I keep drive belts only tight enough so there is no squealing when cold engine is first started. The belts will tighten due to engine block expanding when it warms. No sense putting excessive loads on bearings.

9. Volodymyr Martsinkovskyi

Apr 28, 2019
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Vlad
    Thanks for the info. Any idea what diameter I can go down to without affecting the seal effectiveness?

10. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    #35 Martin308GTB, Oct 31, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
    Sorry for not being clear enough.

You have to restore the seal seat to its original diameter. Brief procedure as follows:
    Cut away approx. 2mm (diameter). Make a sleeve with a press fit inner diameter for the turned down shaft and an outer diameter some half a mm larger than the the finished dimension. Press the sleeve onto the shaft. I make the sleeve from stainless steel. For peace of mind I add a slight smear of Loctite 648.
    Take it onto the lathe again and adjust radial runout tolerance of the bearing seat (where you clamp the shaft) to the best possible result. You should achieve 0.02mm. Less is better.
    Turn down the seal seat to its original dimension.

Here's a related thread I created 8 years ago. It covers the conversion and lacks the step with restoring an old shaft, but the principle is the same. The advantage of converting an old shaft to the new style is, that you have to turn down the seal seat anyway, no matter how it's still looking. (19mm old/16m new).

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/308-w-pump-altering-design-old-to-new.328021/

For a certain period I offered it as a service for the European FChatters and shared the market with a buddy from the Seattle area, who served the US-market.

I made a few, but unfortunately my labour seemed to be too expensive and folks preferred to purchase the common Chinese or Indian junk.

Best from Germany
    Martin

11. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    Martin, would it worth having some 151253 shafts made along with a sleeve to adapt the housing to the one-piece seal? It should be cheaper than the aftermarket pumps and cheaper than the time/labour to modify the original parts. Can't be more than $20 for both parts.

12. Milkshaker0007

Milkshaker0007 Formula Junior

Sep 22, 2012
    Midlands,uk
    Full Name:
    Paul

that's some great work Martin, reading through that thread.

13. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    I cannot remember, whether cutting work on the housing was mandatory for the original Ferrari one piece seal 152051. For my more modern one piece seal cutting was necessary to maintain precise working height according to the manufacturers directions.
    How many shafts would I have to order to get them for less than $20.00/each in decent precision?

Best from Germany
    Martin

14. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    I could probably get 20 in stainless for that. Quality is usually good for small numbers as they are hoping for more business and I always say there is no rush so they fit them in when they have a gap in production. If they are not within spec you just get them to remake them.

15. Volodymyr Martsinkovskyi

Apr 28, 2019
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Vlad
    If anyone is ordering shafts, let me know. I ended up a getting a crappy aftermarket one for now to get the car on the road