612 Newbie | FerrariChat

612 Newbie

Discussion in '612/599' started by DKurtaz, Oct 30, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DKurtaz

DKurtaz Karting

Aug 12, 2019
    #1 DKurtaz, Oct 30, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
    Hello All,

My first Ferrari- just purchased a 2006 612 HGTC in nero from Saggio in Munich with 25K miles. Was going to buy a Jaguar XKR-S, until l accidentally wandered into the local Ferrari showroom and the dealer started the engine...
    Love the looks (the single design line all the way around,,,), love the split rim star wheels, those Daytona seats make we weep with joy everytime I see them, general interior is gorgeous, engine noise is volcanic, gear change is lightening fast and engaging vs my BMW 540i, looks exactly like a TVR Cerbera when looking back through the side mirrors.
    First driving impressions, steering razor sharp, incredible turn in, amazing body control, doesn't like unflat roads, kids love it, brakes vicious.
    Don´t like.....mmmmm.....come back on that apart from it is looonnnnggg and a bit tricky to manoever at low speeds.

Edited to say, Saggio Ferrari in Munich have been great in the buying process and resolving a couple of small topics..

2. Potenza430

Potenza430 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 26, 2012
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Beautiful car...like you, I love Daytona seats!

lee-o likes this.
  3. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    Congrats D....Sehr gut!

lee-o likes this.
  4. clonmeliw

clonmeliw Karting

Aug 27, 2016
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    Jeff Fischer
    It only gets better with time! Wishing you many happy hours of motoring.

lee-o and FERR430dxb like this.
  5. F612

F612 Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2018
    Leeds,AL
    Full Name:
    David D. Hood
    I feel the same way about my ‘08 HGT2 version.
    I wonder if the standard suspension works as well?

6. 360Marnix

360Marnix Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2017
    Holland
    Nice, congratulations!
    I bought my 612 at Saggio in München aswell. 1,5year ago.

I actualy was not very impressed by the sales proces to be honest.

7. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    David- His has HGTC, which is very similar to HGT2, especially the suspension, except HGTC does include faster F1 shifting. Faster shifting was incorporated into all 612s (~125 ms) at the same time HGT2 was introduced, so not necessary on HGT2 612s.

lee-o likes this.
  8. Modena_2003

Modena_2003 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2008
    Saudi.Arabia / London
    Full Name:
    Moe Al-Bayat
    Congrats! Amazing spec!

lee-o likes this.
  9. F612

F612 Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2018
    Leeds,AL
    Full Name:
    David D. Hood
    You have just confused me. I thought HGT2 (as on my OTO) included the F1S ?

10. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    HGT2 was available before the OTO came out in Spring 2008. It was a separate option and so were CCMs on interim 612s built in late 2007 and early 2008 before the OTOs. All Sessantas (OTO prototypes, essentially) and OTOs included Superfast 1 software from the 599, the 599 twin disc dry clutch, and the 599 gearbox case (with 612 guts) to match up to the new clutch and flywheel.

Superfast 1 was standard on all OTOs and HGT2 (HGT1 on Sessantas) did not affect shift speed at all on the OTOs. HGT2 was basically a handling only option, unlike earlier HGTS/HGTC option packages. Read these attachments and they will help iron out some of the more obscure details on late model 612s. As usual, with the 612 OTO notification, the factory fouled up the Scaglietti Option list attached. They just included an old one that still had HGTS, even though it should have been HGT2. The 20" monolithic/Challenge wheels were standard, too.

F1S was a method for selecting fast shifting without getting the stiff shock absorber setting. On OTOs and Sessantas, Sport mode could also be selected with the Manettino, but you got the stiff shocks, too, with that setting.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

lee-o likes this.
  11. F612

F612 Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2018
    Leeds,AL
    Full Name:
    David D. Hood
    Ah!
    Got it now.
    Thanks.

12. Titobandito

Titobandito Karting

May 26, 2019
    Switzerland
    Welcome! That is a beautiful car. Congrats on the purchase.

13. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Congrats on the new car and I wish you good luck with it!

14. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Forgot to mention, HGT2 did include a sportier set of mufflers, so exhaust music and handling.

15. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    and brakes

16. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    lee-o and greg328 like this.
  17. Anthony James

Anthony James Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 27, 2012
    Essex
    Congrats on the new car! I miss a cup holder.

18. montegoblue

montegoblue Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 7, 2009
    East TN
    I miss cruise control on long highway drives :). Congrats on the new car — mine is a Grigio silverstone hgts with similar Daytona seats ... not only pretty to look at but very comfortable. Now find threads on this forum re opening exhaust valves and you really will enjoy the V12 soundtrack at lower speeds. Enjoy !

19. Shiva_Austria

Shiva_Austria Karting

Oct 7, 2013
    Austria
    Great choice.
    I have a HGTS in grigio silverstone with Daytonas in cuoio (since 6 years).

Many grettings from Styria/Austria
    ChrisEnzo

Makuono likes this.
  20. F612

F612 Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2018
    Leeds,AL
    Full Name:
    David D. Hood
  21. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    David- Yup, your 612 is an early OTO and CCMs were standard on the OTOs. Ferrari never gave anything for free. Prices went up on the F430 and 599 when CCMs were made standard in Fall 2007, too. Thanks for the Monroney.

22. DKurtaz

DKurtaz Karting

Aug 12, 2019
    Now 3 months in to my ownership with almost 3000 KM driven.
    This car is a grower- It was great when I bought it, now it seems even better that I'm used to it. I like its discreteness (for a Ferrari) but those who recognise what it is on the road seem to very much appreciate it.
    Read the posts on opening exhaust valves- mine is an HGTC (which I think already has the sports exhaust). Is it really worth the effort?
    Hasn't missed a beat and no issues whatsoever. Well, the only issue is that it sounds so good, I haven't even put a CD into the changer yet...

599_GTO, randkin, F612 and 1 other person like this.
  23. F612

F612 Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2018
    Leeds,AL
    Full Name:
    David D. Hood
    I use my 575 as a daily driver. Every time I drive my 612 OTO I think that it is the absolutely the BEST road car ever.
    I agree with all your comments!

599_GTO and lee-o like this.
  24. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    i always forget but is it accurate there are only a couple dozen OTOs in the USA?
    i agree, amazing car on all fronts.

25. Cobraownr

Cobraownr Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 6, 2008
    Edgewater, MD
    Full Name:
    Donald Silawsky
    The following was previously posted by "TAZ":

U.S. OTOs: 2009 = 29; 2010 = 26; 2011 = 1. In 2008, when 612 production shifted to the OTO during the year, there apparently isn't any breakdown for the number of OTOs vs. non-OTOs. A total of 94 2008 612s were imported into the U.S. If you assume half were OTOs, that would be 47 cars. Added to 56 cars for 2009-2011, we have 103 612 OTOs in the U.S. That isn't exact because of the lack of specific data for 2008 OTOs, but certainly is a small cohort.

FWIW, Evo and YouTube automotive journalist Chris Harris said (while recently opining, not too charitably, on the new Ferrari Roma) that the 612 three pedal was one of his five favorite Ferrari GT cars. The other four: 365 GTC/4; 456M three pedal; FF; and F12. Harris said the 612 has "...aged with real elegance."

I wonder if he has driven or is familiar with the OTO? With its revised/improved F1 transmission, glass roof, manettino, and other more subtle changes, IMO it should be the 612 in his Top 5 Ferrari GT list rather than a three pedal. Please, no brickbats. This is "opinion." Others may differ.

Makuono likes this.