Repaint a value hit or no.. | FerrariChat

Repaint a value hit or no..

Discussion in '308/328' started by GatedShiftFcar, Nov 1, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GatedShiftFcar

Apr 16, 2019
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Daniel Gould
    Hi all.. just curious what the Ferrari world thinks of resprayed cars or new interiors? I have an all original 328 which is how I prefer them but I know someone looking at early Carb 308 that is absolutely beautiful but is a total respray with new leather and carpets. Just curious what the value is now or in the future with a car like that as opposed to a #2/3 all original car. Is there a premium or a hit in general. This assumes the respray and other restoration work was done for reasons other than accident damage of course.

Thanks!

2. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    No difference in value. The only exception is ultra low mileage time capsule cars that play in their own market.

akitaman likes this.
  3. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    To a point. A rare factory paint code car, that's been resprayed RC FER-300, respectively, to me is worth less than if it were still wearing it's original paint and/or color

4. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Depends on buyer. I agree market wide it will be condition only. 328 was painted OE with Glasurit and was outstanding paint. Nothing available in last 15 years is as durable. Give me an original Glasurit painted car in good condition anytime. 308 carb cars were painted with Salchi and it was garbage. They went bad while still under warranty.

Martin308GTB and 19633500GT like this.
  5. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    I'd pay more for an early car which has had the crap original paint removed! It always cracks unless kept inside a lot in a temperature controlled garage.

Martin308GTB likes this.
  6. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David
    From several years of watching the 308 market, my conclusion is that fresh paint always brings more money.

Regards
    David

7. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    These cars are now knocking on 35 to 40 years old. If it sat in a museum all its life then original paint is king. But if it has been driven, chances are it will need a respray at some point in time. Personally, new paint shows well to me and is more attractive.

Martin308GTB likes this.
  8. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    I always thought, that the cracking paint of the early cars was caused by the Glidden Salchi TPA-paint, which they used till 1980 while later cars were painted with modern acrylic paint from Glasurit.
    From what I learned, classic US-stuff was also painted with TPA-paints for decades. Did your TPA-painted US-cars show similar paint problems like our early 308s? Or was the Salchi paint really special crap?

Best from Germany
    Martin

9. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

Salchi was worse than most.

10. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    My 77 US GTB has the original black Salchi on it...it's crazed on most horizontal surfaces and has some small runs on the overhung vertical surfaces of the fenders...looks okay but compared to my glass car that has black modern paint, it's crap...I will reprint the car for sure...now that the market is down a bit, I don't care what it's worth so I may go with a fine metallic black with all Euro appointments on the outside..