History Repeating itself | FerrariChat

History Repeating itself

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by italiancars, Oct 31, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    Looks like the merger between FCA and PSA is approved, bringing Maserati into a parent company that includes Citroen.

Unfortunately it may be on an accelerated program towards the same result as the last time. Apparently
    Most of Alfa’s future products have been dropped. Can Maserati be far behind? Both are niche brands that won’t sell in the volume needed for FCA/PSA to commit the required resources.

https://www.quattroruote.it/news/industria-finanza/2019/10/31/alfa_romeo_dai_programmi_spariscono_sportive_l_e_suv_e_la_giulietta.html

2. 67bmer

67bmer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 28, 2015
    MD
    I'll never understand the desire to merge with a French auto company!

3. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #3 Nembo1777, Nov 1, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2019
    I would not be that pessimistic, Tavares (PSA President) is a real enthusiast and I don't see him sinking Alfa or Maserati. This merger will be good for integration and parts sharing, cost control.
    Don't forget that the last time everything was devastatingly derailed by the october 1973 oil crisis due to the Kippur war and Opec retaliation by massive fuel price increase which had a tsunami effect on the economy and the GT/sports car market killing sales and driving Maserati deep into the red. No one could have seen that coming.

The concern for now is this idea of the future HQ being outside of France which our government does not like so that has to be sorted one way or another. But PSA is free to act whereas Renault is government controlled which is why those negotiations failed a few months ago and very quickly.

It would be nice to see a new version of Citroen SM Maserati but of course that is a pipe dream alas.

MK1044, Merak1974 and F1tommy like this.
  4. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    Probably because they're the only ones desperate enough as of right now to merge with anyone. I know they have a presence in Europe and they might also have a presence in South America but besides that they're pretty useless as far as I know.

The big names (VW, Toyota, etc.) don't need to merge with anyone and don't have much too gain for it. I would put GM and Ford in that category too but it seems they have some issues.

5. Merak1974

Merak1974 Formula 3

Aug 31, 2009
    Oslo, Norway
    Full Name:
    Gabriel R.G. Benito
    In terms of creativity, innovation, and being on top of the game in the GT-market, the Citroen years were probably Maserati's finest period....

6. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    We don't get to see any French cars here. Which current French cars are considered world class?

7. Vladislav Pochuev

Mar 31, 2019
    Full Name:
    Vladislav Pochuev
    Bugatti

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

8. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    LOL VW's pet project and hardly French at this point. But it's certainly world class !

flat_plane_eddie and Nembo1777 like this.
  9. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Being half Swedish half French I will confirm what Bob stated: the current Bugatti company, whilst physically based in France is a 100 per cent German thing.

Koenigsegg in Sweden with a far smaller budget BUT a far smarter team is miles ahead, in performance but more importantly in innovative thinking the Jesko is by far the smartest, most advanced hypercar and while I am not normally interested in modern cars I must say I am very proud of that:)

Merak1974 and flat_plane_eddie like this.
  10. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    Always loved Ettore Bugatti, an Italian that built cars in occupied Germany, and “identified” himself as French!