Lusso PTU failure.... | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Lusso PTU failure....

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by gilly6993, Jun 28, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    this is the reason FFs and Lussos cant be sole be daily drivers - they end up in the hospital for weeks

2. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    My 2012 FF has been faultless as a DD over 21,000 miles. Lucky, I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

otakki and of2worlds like this.
  3. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    So this is the latest as of yesterday. Jason over at FofNE has been great on explaining everything. Per Ferrari they cleaned the valves in the PTU and topped off the fluids. Multiple test drives (one more today) and the fluid level hasn’t changed.

Hopefully get the car back tomorrow and I’ll begin to rack up the miles again. My warranty is good until March 2020. Will get the car back for it’s yearly service early winter and they can check the levels again. Any change and they’ll push for a new PTU before the warranty is up.

Time will tell but 6 months of some good driving will make or break the PTU for sure.

of2worlds, otakki, Bundy and 2 others like this.
  4. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    What's the final verdict on the cause per FofNE?

5. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    That’s the problem. There is no verdict. “Dirty valves” I guess. The first step was cleaning the valves, refilling the PTU, and driving it. If the levels remain constant it’s good to go, for now.

I haven’t heard back about the final road test/ check that was occurring today. I’ll assume it will be ok.

I’ll be sure to rack up the miles and get it back in the winter for service and to check everything out. My very very limited understanding is there should be no change in fluid levels ever. If so there’s an issue.

of2worlds and Caeruleus11 like this.
  6. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Alright. Final answer this afternoon. Valve fix didn’t work. PTU is losing fluid. Jason at FerrariNE will hopefully get the go ahead to order a new one and get it installed.

The wait continues :(

of2worlds likes this.
  7. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Not good news but doubtless others following your Ferrari experience appreciate the updates! Hopefully now Ferrari will get things replaced and sorted to your satisfaction. :cool:

8. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    It’s been a brutal wait especially during the summer but I just keep telling myself better now than after the factory warranty expires....although this makes me think twice about extending it....

9. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Good deals to be had on 488 models these days as an alternative. However that is not the same experience as the Lusso in a number of respects it would seem!

10. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    V12 and 4 seats...for me there is no alternative:)

of2worlds and Bundy like this.
  11. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    Maybe Ferrari should also offer the V12 Lusso without the PTU.

12. Replevin

Replevin Karting

Oct 29, 2014
    Washington, DC
    I have both cars and I would get the wagon with that commute. I think you would find it to be much more comfortable driving into the city. The E63S is a much more modern car with more conveniences and importantly does much better in stop-and-go traffic. It does not have a dual-clutch (which I'm always very conscious of in the FF when I'm in heavy traffic) and instead a very smooth (no torque converter, however) automatic transmission with 9 forward gears. If I was out in the country, however, I would likely have a different view and would likely pick the FF. I also do not stress about the E63S - I park it at the airport and train station. It is super stealth and does not get the Ferrari attention. Really no attention. If you care about that, it is worth considering that point as well.

otakki likes this.
  13. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    #38 otakki, Aug 12, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
    Agree with the above post. Indeed, it really depends on your location. For me, I have the FF due to me located out in the country and thus >95% of my driving is 80+mph on long road trips.

I had an E63 (W212), and it's very much under the radar when driving around. It's probably even more so now with the large number of Benz on the road. This past weekend while out of town, I counted on the opposite direction highway around 10 Benz for every Bimmer I saw. It's crazy how many cars Diamler have put on the road in the past few years.

EndlessDoodles and Replevin like this.
  14. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    from my service record:
    "REPLACE CRUSHED VAC HOSES UNDER INTAKE MANIFOLD, REPLACE SECONDARY AIR HOSES."

15. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    LussoT :) The PTU is needed for the AWD in the Lusso12

Bundy likes this.
  16. KNOKKi

KNOKKi Karting

Jul 20, 2015
    Amsterdam
    Any updates?

17. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    A new PTU was installed

18. KNOKKi

KNOKKi Karting

Jul 20, 2015
    Amsterdam
    Maybe I was not clear enough. Sorry for that. I was aware that you had a new PTU, but just wanted to know whether that solved all your problems. New PTU installed and everything fine now? How many k's since? This is your first new PTU isn't it?

19. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    Heaven forbid that it isn’t!

20. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    it seems lussos having more DTC and PTU issues than ff from talking to shops.

21. KNOKKi

KNOKKi Karting

Jul 20, 2015
    Amsterdam
    Any ideas? Differences between FF and Lusso are small:
    - 4WS (which doesn't affect PTU, I would say)
    - higher compression and 30 HP extra (mwah)
    - different gear spacing as I read somewhere at ferrarichat. If that considers the PTU, at least it suggests Lusso PTUs are different (should have a different part numbers then, I suggest)
    External factors? Made in a different factory?

I picked up my MY13 FF 2nd hand in Munich in december 2016. It had 15k on the counter. When I drove it to Amsterdam, the car started to behave familiar. Manettino failure, 4wd failure and some other notifications. Just like my Thesis! At least it kept driving. The following months the same failures showed up regularly, most often the 4WD notification if I remember well. I thought it had to do with driving in the wet, so blamed the electrical circuitry / electronics, because otherwise the car was fine. Then in march 2017 I brought it away for maintenance. They replaced the battery and - unlike the situation with my Thesis - all notifications disappeared. Never had an issue since (well, some notifications, but they don't last) and have driven 45k since.

22. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Yes everyone who has 4wd wet error shld change battery before anything else.

23. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    Not that small. The Lusso PTU has much higher torque limits than the FF's. From memory, up to 90% of the Lusso PTU's torque can pushed to the outside front wheel which the FF is not capable of. This is why owners of the Lusso report that its 4WD implementation is better than the FF's.

It may also be the reason why ttforcefed says that there are more Lusso PTU failures creeping up according to his dealer.

24. KNOKKi

KNOKKi Karting

Jul 20, 2015
    Amsterdam
    That makes sense. Then the explanation would be that the PTU can't withstand the force applied to it? But I guess that is only if you seriously drive your Lusso. Hard cornering in the first 4 gears when the situation asks for 4WD (rain, snow, etc.). Owners who are having the PTU-problem refer to day2day commuting, that is something else...

25. KNOKKi

KNOKKi Karting

Jul 20, 2015
    Amsterdam
    What do you mean by 'wet error'? In my case the setting did not change automatically to wet or so. Maybe because I was already driving in the wet setting. Can't remember ofcourse, but I would think that the 4WD error was independent from setting and I know for sure that the setting did never change automatically, i.e., manettino on 'comfort', display showing 'wet'.