Apple In Talks To Buy McLaren | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Apple In Talks To Buy McLaren

Discussion in 'McLarenChat.com' started by Hollywood-GP, Sep 21, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Noone1 believes him anyway.

Maybe it was all just

http://youtu.be/-OGd4gplxQM

2. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Actually, I don't believe him at all. I have lots of friends who work at Apple, in all different areas, and none ever reveal anything at all about unreleased stuff. I also doubt anyone at Apple aside from very senior people would know much about it to even be able to talk about it. Apple employees due often read speculation in the news and discuss it, obviously, just like anyone at any company would do. I guarantee there were Apple employees talking about this after it was in the news, even though they probably had nothing to even do with it.

I also don't see why Apple would want to buy McLaren when they could just pay for any consulting or technology they might want. You don't have to buy an entire company just to get something from them.

3. Countachqv

Countachqv Formula 3

Apr 25, 2007
    USA/France
    The issue with apple is that there is a group of hysteric haters who have nothing to do but spewing garbage and misrepresent. Not sure why.
    A acquisition as stupid as mcL would promply take the stock down.
    Well i guess they moved on the traditional "low sale" in europe this time after that ridiculous mcl story.
    Note that last year was china was predicted as a disaster that never materialized.

4. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Last year was a bit early of a call I guess, but this year China revenue was down 35% in the last quarter...

5. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Diversification? McLaren cars may look like a good investment, even if it's well outside Apple's core business.

I remember when I worked for Shell in the 80s, they were investing in plenty of areas not related with oil; mining, minerals, chemical, pharmaceutical, travel agents, real estate, even farming.

They used to call it diversification, as there is so much profit you can distribute, and so much you can re-invest. I think it served Shell very well; Apple may have the same spell to turn its huge profit into new investment.

6. Visioneer

Visioneer Karting

Aug 4, 2016

That's all poopycock SV. Of course Campus 2 isn't up and running yet. That's exactly why the project team isn't where you'd expect it to be, nothing strange about that. Have you not heard Mclaren's public statement that they're implementing with Track 22 and thus going evermore electric? Need more be said?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Visioneer

Visioneer Karting

Aug 4, 2016

A word of advice though, don't put all your eggs into listening at Starbucks. A lot of the Apple guys also like to hang out at the nearby McDonalds during lunchtime between 12:30 and 1:30. Throwing darts is so childish and obviously unreliable.

8. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    McLaren isn't diversification. It's worth a couple weeks of Apple's income.

Apple diversification requires it be relevant to 10s or 100s of millions of their users, or far more income. McLaren annual profit is a couple hours of Apple income. Meaningless amount.

9. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    Just a guess but it would be a good way to spend some extra cash, even if the profits weren't there, could be profitable as a writedown. Either that or you give it to the govt(s) in taxes...

10. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    There's no such thing as a profitable write-down. No expense is a good expense unless it creates income itself. They'd also take a massive amount as goodwill/intangibles which have to be depreciated over time.

If Apple wants to spend foreign cash, they should just buy a massive foreign company with massive earnings. IMO Apple should just buy a massive financial company, like a bank or American Express or something like that. Maybe a giant car company.

It really makes no sense to make tiny diversification moves. The only reason they buy small companies is because they apply the technology across their massive user base. They are never interested in acquiring small, new set of users.

11. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Yes, the amount may look meaningless, but it's the potential that matters to the investor, not the present value. Once they put their management in place, they can easily develop the business to 10 times what they bought it for and resell it.
    I remember Shell buying an artisanal workshop making .... candles, developing it into an exporting industry, opening a factory and reselling many times more later.
    Who would have thought that a major oil company would be interested in small operations ?

12. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    You guys are still talking about this? Apple broke off talks 2 months ago. It was just leaked to get some PR for either McLaren or Apple or both.

13. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    ^^^THIS!!!^^^ and it obviously didn't benefit Apple

Btw, saw my first P1 today. Not impressed at all. Looks like a standard mclaren with a body kit.

14. Visioneer

Visioneer Karting

Aug 4, 2016

2 points:

It sure as heck is helping Apple. Mclaren tech in electronics is world leading and they've recently released tomosynthesis 3D mammography into major hospitals around the world and introduced “touchless technology” which allows medical teams to use gestures and vocal commands to study and manipulate images without ever having to touch them. They've also developed a state-of-the-art connectome scanner, which creates images that are up to eight times more comprehensive than those of regular MRI scanners – and in a fraction of the time. I'm also aware that they're responsible for making advances in optical frequency domain imaging, near-infrared fluorescence imaging, optical coherence tomography, and sophisticated neurotechnology. Apple is branching over into the medical world, something you might know if you were in the medical equipment development industry. Or hung out more often at Starbucks.

Saw your first P1 yesterday? Do you live in a cave in Afghanistan?

15. Countachqv

Countachqv Formula 3

Apr 25, 2007
    USA/France
    From Forbes:
    AppleInsider says they have received a report from KGI analyst Ming-Chi Kuo showing an increase in estimated Apple unit sales. The research firm had been estimating unit sales of 65 million but has now raised estimates to between 70 million and 75 million

If the reporters of prior info were honest, it shows how little or baised the pundits know of the markets, especially China.

Now I saw another opinionated report saying the iPhone7 is about to explode too due patchy battery work (rolling eyes..) May be they figured what is a fact for Samsung could fly as a fact for Apple. Most Joe Investors wont know the difference

16. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Like I said, Apple themselves presented a 35% drop in China revenue recently. What people think or guess is irrelevant to the actual numbers in Apple's financial reports.

We'll see what happens this quarter and next I guess. I have no idea what it will be.

17. airspyder

airspyder Rookie

Sep 27, 2010
    Chicago, sometimes
    Zack doesn't live in Cypress, he lives in the US, and he has never owned an exotic anything. He is slick. Smart but spoiled. Being arrogant isn't a plus. The internet has become a hiding place for those wanting to be more than they will ever be.