308 tires 205/70 14 best replacement | Page 2 | FerrariChat

308 tires 205/70 14 best replacement

Discussion in '308/328' started by russmorgancda, Aug 4, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. carl888

carl888 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Carl
    16" wheels appear in the parts books beginning mid 1977.

2. carl888

carl888 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Carl
    All DOT approved tyres must comply with the load and speed ratings that appear on the sidewall. The certification process is the same as any other tyre. Just because a low volume tyre appears in the market, doesn't mean it doesn't comply with the DOT standards. The Vredstein and Michelin XWX both have the DOT approval code stamped on the tyre. Just have a look on the back of the tyre (From where the date code appears) and it's there.

In Australia at least, you can use a tyre with a lower speed rating than what is placarded for the vehicle, but you cannot use one with a lower load rating. This is the opposite to many European countries I understand.

3. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    Please, please look at the thread Carl referenced. He, and others, make a strong argument for the XWX for our 14" wheels. The money seems big, but amortized over several years, and with the superior performance (for a 14"), it's a very good way to go. The XWX is a NEW tire with an old shape. Construction is new design with new compounds.

Ciao!

Hannibal

4. jim rosenthal

jim rosenthal Karting

Sep 10, 2006
    I have the Vredestein Sprint Classic on a different car, a '64 E-type Jaguar. They are great tires- nice grip, not noisy, very predictable steering. I don't drive this car very hard, but they are just fine, AND they look correct on an old Jaguar. They came form Radial Tire Co, who mounted and balanced them.

I just bought a set for my '85 308 QV from them- the Michelin Pilot 3s, I think they care called. They beat TR's price, and the service was great. I owuld highly recommend Radial for anone in the MD Baltimore/DC area. They are very fair on pricing, have great service, and know quite a bit.

Now I need to figure out what to do with the tires which came off the '85 308. These were the original Goodyear NCTs, made in Germany, which came new on the car in 1985. They had never been changed out. (AND the cam belts, but that's another story) They have 11K miles on them, the tread looks great. I'm hoping someone will want them for a concours car that just goes on and off the trailer. They ought not to be driven on.

AND, there is an unused Goodyear NCT spare, never on the ground. I think this car spent a lot of time in the garage. LOL :)

5. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    I don't think the Vreds are available in 14inch for 308s

6. jmaienza

jmaienza Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 8, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I have them on my 78 308 GTS and agree with your assessment. Very good high speed and high performance alternative to the Michelin.

They are available in 205/14/70
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Interesting haven’t seen them in a while

8. Longstone Tyres

Longstone Tyres Formula 3
    Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    My suggestion is not to spoil your cars appearance and handling for the same of a few quid.

fit 205/70VR14 Michelin XWX https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/tyres/205-70-14/205-70wr14-michelin-xwx.html

I think the only other classic tyre in that size is the Pirelli Cinturato CN36 https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/classic-car-tyres/ferrari/308/205-70wr14-pirelli-cinturato-cn36.html which will also handle really well and save you a few quid. However XWX was OE

I don't think there is another classic tyre in the size 205/70VR14. does anone else know of one?

The other options for a are listed on here https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/classic-car-tyres/ferrari/308.html including the TRX fore those who have millimetric wheels and there is the famous Pirelli P7 for those who have 16" wheels.

9. ProjectMonza

ProjectMonza Rookie

Aug 6, 2015
    Roll Tide
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I got the 205/70 CN-36 Pirellis for my '78 GTS and they look and perform well. The only problem, the 5th one on my original spare wheel won't fit in the well. it's slightly larger diameter than the 16" with 205/55 P7. That one fits fine. I'll probably sell my repro 16s now because i really like the look of the 14s.

10. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Dunlop has recently started making our correctly sized 14" OEM tire.

absostone likes this.
  11. Longstone Tyres

Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    its a shame they didn't make a better job of it.

I don't understand that tyre. why on earth wouldn't they make a proper classic tyre. they have all the heritage in the world and they just knocked out a normal tyre and wrote classic on the side wall. why?

they aren't even good value. if they had made a tyre that was a bargain.

If you look at virtually any grading of tyre manufacturers you generally will find Michelin and Pirelli in the top.

Dunlop did historically make a great range of classic road tyres in the UK but sadly no more. These are not classic tyres. they have no history. they just wrote classic on the side wall, which is the absolute guarantee that they aren't.

Jack-the-lad likes this.
  12. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    Does it still have Italian air, which is an Absolute 'MUST' for MAX Concourse Points?

:D

13. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    French, I believe.....

14. Longstone Tyres

Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    I like 40 year old oil in my cars too

Jack-the-lad likes this.
  15. NoGoSlow

NoGoSlow Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2014
    Republic of Texas
    Full Name:
    Mark Jacks
    I guess that would be concours correct. Maybe they need a good chemist on the judging panels. :)

16. Longstone Tyres

Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    fashion over function

For cars that just get looked at and not driven, then just put any old cheap crap on their to keep the rims off the road.

If you intend to drive the car. buy the proper period carcass tyres made new and you will enjoy the ride and drive more.

Currently the date of our 14" Michelin XWX is 3919

the date of our 16" P7 tyres in 0519

17. BillyD

BillyD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I think Pirelli CN36 would look very era appropriate.

18. Longstone Tyres

Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    They will. But most importantly they will drive great as well.