Hmmm buzzing from the second-from-the-left buzzer | FerrariChat

Hmmm buzzing from the second-from-the-left buzzer

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by rpissm, Nov 3, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Hey everyone!

Started up the ol' Testarossa today to circulate gas additive and I kept hearing an obnoxious buzzer sounding from the engine compartment, even after the car was started and the doors were closed. I noticed the front and rear bonnet-open lights were not illuminated in the dash (even though both were open), the lights have always been on when the bonnets were up previously. But looking at my crappy PDF copy of the WSM it doesn't appear that the hatch-open circuits go to any buzzers? It was the second buzzer from the left behind the fusebox that was the one that was sounding.

What are your thoughts? Thanks!

2. 302Tim

302Tim Formula 3

Jul 2, 2011
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Tim
    A little confused by your description--you say buzzing from engine compartment then later buzzer behind the fuse panel--which was it? The bonnets aren't connected to any buzzer, just lights. The second relay from the left (looking rear from the front trunk) is an A.C. relay.

3. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Sorry, I meant the second buzzer from the left (not relay), located behind the fuse box. I'll post a picture.

4. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    This is behind the fuse box (notice the top of it in the foreground). The second buzzer of the three, which is now disconnected, is the one that was buzzing. Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my Moto Z2 Play using Tapatalk

5. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #5 Steve Magnusson, Nov 3, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
    I'm guessing that that's the "Buzzer for low oil pressure and exhaust high temperature", item 14, here:

https://www.ricambiamerica.com/car-diagrams/ferrari/v12/testarossa-group/testarossa-1990/valves-and-relays.html

(but your items seem to be mounted shuffled about a bit as items 8 and 9 have no buzzer - but that's no problem as long as they are connected to the correct connectors).

Is your low oil pressure light or slowdown light(s) "on" when its buzzing?

PS I prefer leaving item 14 unplugged, and rely on my visual skills to detect when there's a problem with either of those systems ;)

6. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Thanks for the info as usual Steve. Oddly enough my oil pressure was one of the things I checked. No red light in the gauge and the gauge itself was registering the regular amount of pressure at idle (just below the first tick mark). And my slowdown lights are disconnected at the connections on the fender in the back - have been disconnected for years. Do you know if it's possible for the pressure gauge to be registering, yet the buzzer not getting a signal (or vice versa?). I suppose I could check the slow down light connectors and see if something is shorting them out? This happened all of a sudden - I haven't worked on anything in weeks if not months. The lack of dash lights for my open bonnets has piqued my curiosity as well. That happened today too.

OH and another thing - the buzzer buzzes whether the engine is running or not! It starts buzzing when the key is turned to the first position and never stops. Odd,no?

7. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #7 Steve Magnusson, Nov 3, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
    If both the oil pressure warning light and gauge are indicating you do have oil pressure = strong sign all is OK oil pressure-wise IMO.

Had a look at the US TR schematic, and the first things to try are:

1. Check fuse #22 (7.5A, instruments).

2. Try a different ...113 relay in relay position S (key controlled services).

3. Unplug/replug the w white connector.

Bottom line is, with the key "on", you need the terminal in the w connector with the two VB (green-white) wires to be +12V to have the bonnet open lights work and not muck up that buzzer's operation.

8. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Cool thanks for the tips, I'll try then out tomorrow. Btw which schematic were you looking at? I was looking at the one for the hood latches earlier but couldn't find the one for the oil pressure buzzer?

Thanks again!

9. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    That's because the schematic in the TR WSM is only for an early euro version F113A TR (K-Jet without Lambda) which doesn't have that buzzer.

This link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gne5xw608ba818b/509_88 US TR Wiring Diagram Book.PDF?dl=0

should get you a pdf copy of the 509/88 US version TR wiring diagram book for the later US F113A040 TR (KE-Jet with Lambda) with the odometer in the dash -- but much of it matches the earlier US version F113A040 with the odometer in the center console.

That low oil pressure and high exhaust temperature buzzer is item 17 in Fig 7.

10. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Ah ha! Thanks again! I'll check that out. And FYI all other dash lights work: blinkers, headlights, emergency brake light, hazards, brights, etc. Just the bonnet lights and the buzzer are giving me problems. I'm hoping a mouse hasn't gotten in my car and is selectively sampling things! :)

11. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Do the window motors, wiper motor, and brake lights work or not work?

If they do work = more a sign the trouble is in the w connector VB terminal or fuse #22 blown.

If they don't work = more a sign the trouble is with relay S.

12. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Yes they do work. I'll check out the fuse tomorrow. Thanks for your continued support! :)

13. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    So, closing the loop on this one - checked out the connector lines, didn't notice anything loose, checked the fuse too - it was fine. Manually hooked each lead up to its corresponding location on the buzzer (while the +12v was hooked up to it too)... and... none of the connectors set off the buzzer. So, I put the buzzer back in the socket just to see if it would still buzz and... nothing! It didn't buzz AND now my bonnet open lights work! Whaaaaaaaat? I guess something came loose on one of the connectors? Weird.

14. tf308

tf308 Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Or your relay was stuck. They are electro mechanical.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

rpissm likes this.