360 - New 360 owner - help? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

360 New 360 owner - help?

Discussion in '360/430' started by MJEAN1, Oct 19, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MJEAN1

MJEAN1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2019
    Diamond Bar, California 91765
    Full Name:
    Matthew Jean
    Thank you for the kind and encouraging response. I will update the group on the mechanic findings. Warmest regards to you all!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    Personally, I wouldn't change the pumps until they leak. Mine went 40K miles and went out within a few months of each other. Pull the covers and look at the pumps, if no leak then you saved about $700-800 per pump. Cheers

EastMemphis likes this.
  3. MJEAN1

MJEAN1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    Matthew Jean
    To All, quick update on my repairs. I got the left passenger side fuel pump changed at local mechanic for $900 with labor etc. at the same time, got annual service. With annual service (all fluids which he stated were dirty and last 30k was 2 years ago) $1000, he checked the check engine light and the miss fires are not spark plug or coil packs. To root cause more on check engine light, I would need a compression and leak test analysis. However, he ran the car about 40 miles and stated that the car ran much better after warm up so (with out the compression test) thought the check engine is a miss fire on cylinder 5 (p0305) and probably some time down the road needing a valve or piston upgrade/repair. As a weekend driver, not long drives or track, I should be fine. And after warm up (10 minutes) the check engine light went away. Thus, I have taken the car to two Ferrari certified mechanics (PPI ok and another this week - both reputable mechanics) and in some form both have given me a “good to go” signal for normal non aggressive driving. Any thoughts or advices? Again, newbie so little paranoid (but I did take out the fire extinguisher!) about an exotic not wanting to get stranded on LA highway.

4. MJEAN1

MJEAN1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    Matthew Jean
    Took the car out this weekend and appeared to run better after longer warm up (10 minutes). Although the car has aftermarket Fabspeed headers and Fabspeed cataylic converters, the mechanic stated that the CEL codes (p0300s miss fires) that I was getting was unrelated to the aftermarket exhaust (Fabspeed headers, Fabspeed CAT, and cargraphics/tubi exhaust). There was a preventative maintenance to update the F1 pump at next visit - little more costly at slightly over $1000. Does anyone know if F1 pumps should be change out as a Preventative measure or when there are noises or F1 shift issues? Lastly, the mechanic recommended I use a trickle battery charge at all times. The car came with a CTEK and can be plugged into the back driver seat. Is this necessary if I start the car up and drive weekends? Thanks for any thoughts or advices.

5. Zanny1

Zanny1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I keep my '99 on a battery tender at all times. Most guys I know do the same.

6. MJEAN1

MJEAN1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    Matthew Jean
    Thanks for advice. The CTEK charger is an MXS5.0 (picture 1 below). The P0300 codes I am getting is picture 2. The full aftermarket system exhaust picture 3, cat picture 4, and headers picture 5. Lastly, my car does have high mileage at 62,100 miles picture 6. Again, thanks for any advices. Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    I have to say I'm a bit disturbed by the analysis....they think that there could be internal engine issues but gave you the "ok" to drive like a grandma? I find that a bit peculiar...are they saying that it's an issue with piston rings or valve seals or something along those lines? Did they pull the plugs and find oil on them or something?

The miles are insignificant as there are plenty on here with more than that, over 100k in fact. 62k miles being considered "high" is based on monetary value and in my humble opinion, means jack if the car was maintained properly. I am a bit concerned that it seems you don't have any kind of heat shielding over your headers...blankets or something like that. That compartment holds a LOT of heat, naked headers will just add to that and cause problems down the road. Surprised that wasn't mentioned by the techs you went to...

brookliner7, KC360 FL and EastMemphis like this.
  8. MJEAN1

MJEAN1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    Matthew Jean
    Thanks for the response. As part of the annual service (all fluids changed etc), they also pulled the plugs (no oil found, correct plug, and no damage - documentation changed 18months ago less than 3k miles since then) and checked the two coil packs (on bank 5 and 7 where I got the p0305 and p0307 reading). Again, coil packs were fine and not the problem. Thus, plugs and coils both checked ok and fine.

To go deeper into the root cause, I would need a recommended compression and leak test ($400) which would determine if valves (leak - mechanic did notice some oil in the bottom of the pan cover which mechanic recommended to do 30k belt service in about 1 year. The 30k service was done in 2017 6K miles ago) or pistons (which the compression test would confirm). Attached is a picture of my garage floor with some leak (3 weeks timeframe) spot. Again, both reputable mechanics recommended a 30k service next year (3rd year after last 30k documentation receipt) which would take care if any minor leaks (the original PPI did find minor leak from “paper gaskets” and a leak from top of coolant cover). One mechanic actually did notice the heat shield issue and commented about them (not overly concerned or even noted on the receipt summary), but did not recommend any changes. The Fabspeed headers and cams where done in 2016 10k miles ago. Image Unavailable, Please Login

After all fluid changes, mechanic warmed up car 15 minutes drove me around for about 10 miles. I have put on about another 100 miles - no check engine light “yet” and no further oil drips yet. Something the mechanic did seemed to fix the CEL for now.

The reason for the inquiries is because I have never driven a car that did not fully diagnosis a CEL, i.e o2 sensor, spark plugs, spark plug wires, etc... As one member responded (and both mechanics) is for me NOT to be paranoid and just have fun and drive the car (which I really enjoyed this weekend. As you all know, a Ferrari is so much different than any other sports car and the driving experience and the exhaust sound experience seems to be worth the “price of admission”). That leaves me to my last question which is do I leave a trickle charge after each drive when I probably will take out the car within a day or two?

9. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    Mine is always on the trickle charger, these cars are finicky about voltage so keep it on but I go to car week in Monterey and never an issue...probably cause its usually on a trickle!! I would do the compression/leak down so I understood what was going on. Who drives these cars like a granny....run it like a raped ape...

knocker likes this.
  10. MJEAN1

MJEAN1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    Matthew Jean
    Thanks for the advice on the trickle charger. and yes will do the compression/leak down per mechanic at 30k service in April (which I could save a little since going into car anyway). Agreed on the hard driving. I took it out yesterday for cruising but when I got on the highway ... ran it screaming hard. The car is really super fun. I plan to start taking it out and meeting exotic car enthusiasts at a Saturday cars and watches meet near my home. Thanks again for the response and take care.

11. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    To all reading this: If you get a misfire report for a coil pack, replace the coil. Don't listen to a mechanic telling you "coil is fine"... 360 coils will NOT necessarily throw a code for a misfire in a cylinder. Furthermore, the coil may miss and malfunction at low RPMS but work OK at higher RPMs. If a rough or irregular idle, consider bad coils. They can and WILL go bad with the heat in the engine compartment. If in doubt, replace. happened on mine, happened on others, replace if in doubt.

brookliner7, KC360 FL and EastMemphis like this.
  12. MJEAN1

MJEAN1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    Matthew Jean
    Agreed. The mechanic tested brand new coil packs on cylinder 5 and cylinder 7 to see if there were any concerns - not coil packs. The coil packs were not the issue and he did. It want to charge me for something the car did not need - also there Ferrari code reader did not flag any coil packs (check coil pack and check spark plugs was part of the annual service). I will check them again when I bring in the car for the major 30k belt service.

13. knocker

knocker F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 10, 2017
    Sydney Aus
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    I paid $450 Austalian dollars per side for My upgraded pumps from eurospares

14. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    yeesh...good pricing!!

15. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

i do downshift 1st gear all the time, in fact, every time!. no big deal

16. MJEAN1

MJEAN1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    Matthew Jean
    Thanks for the response. The mechanic drove my car a few times (upon arrival, after fuel pump and annual service, and with me). He stated the downshift into 1st “clunk” was normal. However, he recommended I use the F1 paddle shift instead of AUTO. Nothing to do with slight “clunk” sound but more on clutch wear - auto mode normally wears the clutch more than paddle shifting. I am able to drive a manual stick so no issues for me using the 360 paddle shift. Due to condition of my car, the mechanic did recommend I warm up my car about 10 minutes before driving. He stated my car drove much better warmed up than cold. Lastly, he recommended I used the “sport” suspension setting as well, but forgot reasons why. Either way, when I do warm up the car and drive after 20 minutes, the car shifts into 1st smoother, idles smoother, sounds better, and no CEL. Will take everyone’s advice and drive car, check compression and leak test at 30k major service in Spring, use trickle battery charger after every drive (and leave on), etc.... really appreciate the knowledge!

Apollo 11 likes this.
  17. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    yet...

18. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    I was told that "sport mode" generally fully engages the clutch quicker with less slippage between gears. And yes, the Auto mode button is in mint condition and it's totally unused in my car since I've owned it! :D

Enjoy ;)

19. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    This^^^
    Exactly what happened with my '03 360. No CEL, only a slight miss at idle but I felt something was not right. Did all 8 coils. Done deal. Easy enough to do yourself on a Saturday and will cost about $400 if you search a supplier on e-bay.

G. Pepper likes this.
  20. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    My fuel pumps were mismatched when I bought the car - one new and one old style (beige versus white) - so I replaced them both. Also bravo on the coils. Replaced all of mine in one shot.

I took a vacation in my 360 of over 5K miles with a cat code CEL on, so those O2 sensor and CAT code CEL's are rarely any real problem.

Look up user 360trev because he can customize your ECU to eliminate those troublesome codes entirely. That's my project for this winter.

Congrats on the car! There are several 360's around with over 100K miles, so don't sweat the mileage.

You have the aftermarket headers and cats I want, so bravo on scoring those on the purchase. :)

brookliner7 likes this.
  21. mdoc3

mdoc3 Karting
    Owner

Jun 12, 2014
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Martin
    As far as I know, sport mode should allow, among others, for a faster, more snappy gear shift, which reduces slippage and therefore prolongs clutch life. For this reason I always drive in sport mode, even though the difference in gear shift is rather subtle (if noticeable at all).

The "clunk" when downshifting into 1st is completly normal. Never have to warm up before starting to drive, just monitor the oil temperatur as described by others. Having a challenge stradale rear grill, this can take up to half an hour or longer, depending on the outside temperature. I never used auto mode in my 5 years of ownership (gosh, this is a sports car and not a sedan).

Good luck in sorting out your issues!
    Martin

Apollo 11 likes this.
  22. MJEAN1

MJEAN1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    Matthew Jean
    Thank you for the responses. I plan to recheck the coil packs on the major service. I will also check on reprogramming the ECU. Lastly, feel much better about the sport mode and 1st gear downshift “clunk” sound.

23. radlu

radlu Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2005
    Mjean,
    Does the car still have the CEL on?

24. MJEAN1

MJEAN1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    Matthew Jean
    No. But the mechanic stated at some time the CEL will probably come on.

Again, this inquiry is odd and long because TWO Ferrari certified “master” mechanics had different diagnosis on the CEL. One mechanic (pre purchase inspection) stated that I would always have a CEL due to the aftermarket exhaust, headers, cats, etc... due to back pressure. The other mechanic stated that the CEL is a cylinder 5 miss fire (not an exhaust or CAT CEL error code which would support 1st mechanic) which would lead to rollover valve replacement (leak) or piston (compression) - he already plugged in brand new coil packs and inspected spark plugs (which were correct, no oil, and fine - done 1.5 years ago with about 4K miles on spark plugs). Additional deep dive analysis would involve a $400 leak and compression test. The reason we did not do the leak and compression test when the car was at the shop for fuel pump and annual all fluid service was because after driving car, all was well - no CEL, no hesitation, no rough idling, etc ... Basically, the car seems to run fine and strong. Since I am due for a 30k major service in 2020 Spring (would be 3 years after last 30k major belt service) and that I would only put on max 2k miles until then, the mechanic said to drive car and see if the CEL comes on or listen for any odd noises (again, after fuel pump and annual service, car seems solid and drove solid after changes). Of course, mechanic told me to bring immediately back if I heard or felt anything odd ... long story/explanation - no CEL now.

25. MJEAN1

MJEAN1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    Matthew Jean
    Update and new finding if anyone has thoughts? Drove the car a couple days this weekend and put about 200 miles and noticed some “bubbling” on the bottom passenger rear of the car. Please see picture. Not sure if the bubbling was there before but noticed this only on one side of the car - rear passenger. When I touch the plastic/bar, it feels like some oil build up from the past. Again, each time I drive the car, 1 drop of oil hits the ground, which the mechanic stated that at the 30k major belt service would take care if that issue in Spring. Any thoughts? Image Unavailable, Please Login