FORMULA 1 EMIRATES UNITED STATES GRAND PRIX 2019: RACE ▀▄▀▄ SPOILERS ▀▄▀▄ | Page 9 | FerrariChat

FORMULA 1 EMIRATES UNITED STATES GRAND PRIX 2019: RACE ▀▄▀▄ SPOILERS ▀▄▀▄

Discussion in 'F1' started by jgonzalesm6, Nov 3, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nortonious

Nortonious Formula 3

Sep 20, 2018
    TX
    #201 Nortonious, Nov 4, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
    Heh heh, perhaps. There are many merc and ham supporters (and trolls) on F-Chat, which is very odd to me still.

I keep/kept hoping Max would grow-up but he seems to be who he is. Regardless, I enjoyed watching him close the gap on ham at Turn 12/15 yesterday. It's a shame that K-mag yellow denied him DRS for one last overtake attempt.

2. ....And that means one cannot be objective, honest and intelligent about what transpires? If that's the case within the team (which I don't feel is so), no wonder there's been such a dry spell for Ferrari.
    One must face reality before a problem/problems can be solved. Emotional reaction.....excuses, unfounded accusations, name calling, and just plain lies.....don't provide solutions. ;)

3. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    .......possibly the best post of 2019

Surfah, Jakuzzi and william like this.
  4. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/146986/ferrari-explains-reasons-for-austin-top-speed-drop

Ferrari says its lack of straightline speed over the United States Grand Prix weekend was down to a setup experiment, rather than anything to do with its Formula 1 engine.

The team claimed that it ran its SF90 cars at higher downforce levels at Austin than it has done previously in 2019.

As Ferrari is upset that rival outfits were linking its drop in top speed to a technical directive issued by the FIA outlawing engine fuel flow tricks, it is not hiding away from the fact that its performance characteristic was different at Austin.

But instead of this being the result of any change in the power of its engine - with Ferrari clear that it altered "nothing" on its power unit - it says that what was new was the downforce approach.

All season, Ferrari has run with lower wing settings compared to its rivals to boost its speed on the straights, but this has been at the expense of cornering - where rivals Mercedes and Red Bull have had the edge.

Ferrari team principal Mattia Binotto has revealed that for the Austin race, Ferrari elected to run with more downforce to see how that affected its overall pace against its main rivals.

Asked by Autosport to explain why GPS traces showed Ferrari's straightline speed performance was not as strong as recent races, Binotto said: "It is true that we were not gaining on the straights as much as the past races, but we matched our competitors in cornering - at least in qualifying.

"The trade off between grip limit and power limit has been moved this weekend, as a test on our side, to try to match their cornering. I think that it is as simple as that.

5. Hocakes

Hocakes Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2010
    FL
    Why on earth would you not test that out on ONE car in practice & then go with whichever setup worked better???!!!
    Sent from my Samsung Note 8 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

stavura and I'm 360 Canuck like this.
  6. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Just caught up on the highlights - well its blatantly obvious that SF have been told by the FIA to disable, remove or do something that has led to a massive downturn in performance.

Seems like all the old sacked engineers at Ferrari now working at the FIA are using their internal knowledge of the team to good effect.

I seem to think the Mercs are never subjected to the same scrutiny on their cars to the extent that SF are subjected to - knobbled is a kind way of saying how it is.

Sorry to say but Vettel should not be there next year, he has now proved beyond doubt that he needs to move on and let someone like Ricciardo into the team.

Well done Mercedes for showing how its done, I don't relish 2020 at all.

Tony

7. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    Instead of rallying and fighting, Ferrari is folding and fading. Sad. Not going to waste my time watching the final races...I can get the results on the web.

Jakuzzi likes this.
  8. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    They call it "setup experiment" but according to some Italian media I´ve read around there, they had not choice. They had to change the usual low downforce setup because on Friday they found that the track was too bumpy for that. I suppose the change was rushed and Leclerc´s breakdown in FP3 didn´t help.

Yet, the big mistery is the absolute lack of pace with the mediums. With the hards and the softs they were OKish.

9. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Social medias aren't the truth.
    Pace problem was setup related.
    In addition they won't risk their highly profitable company image with this kind of cheating .
    No way.

10. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

True that Ferrari is not known for cheating.

11. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    I don't buy that philosophy and doubt the other teams have either, it is the same (track and conditions) for all teams. I didn't see the merc lose pace, another convincing 1-2.

Redbull & Merc have convinced the FIA to investigate, they have found something and told them to disable it or they have had to turn the power down to save engines. Take a grid penalty and install a new engine but make some meaningful progress especially in development, everything learnt now is useful data for next season but here we are watching SF chasing it own tail - once again.

It doesn't have to be cheating, it could be "open to misinterpretation" just like the sudden loss of performance some time ago with its smoking engine.

Same old story with the team but i'll hang in there for another 20 years :)

Best

tony

12. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Facts please ?

stavura likes this.
  13. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    #antiferrarichat

stavura and Nortonious like this.
  14. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

What facts? I just said: "True that Ferrari is not known for cheating."

That means that I don't suspect them of cheating. I am not one to throw wild accusations.

To me, cheating has to be proven by a thorough investigation, after a complaint has been lodged in due form by another team to the FIA. If the correct procedure hasn't been followed, I don't pay any attention to rumours.

jpalmito, lorenzobandini and Jakuzzi like this.
  15. Nortonious

Nortonious Formula 3

Sep 20, 2018
    TX
    indeed

stavura, Igor Ound and tonyswfla like this.
  16. trumpet77

trumpet77 Formula 3

Jun 13, 2011
    Great Neck, NY
    Full Name:
    Robert Nixon
    For a first F1 race, we enjoyed the weekend. Here’s a look at race day, pre-race track clean, skydivers, driver parade with HAM, etc. Turn 12 highlights seeing BOT pass HAM, other passes at 12 or 13-15, and MAG in a cloud of brake dust going straight off.

Attached Files:

17. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    It’s not insignificant, it’s boring.
    Uncontested greatness is boring.

18. #219 lorenzobandini, Nov 5, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
    Hey Mayor....

A comment about the sport.... ;)

As well as Hamilton’s personal feats, I never thought I’d see a team beat the dominance of Ferrari in the early 2000s, but this Mercedes squad has greatness on a grand scale – these six back-to-back drivers’ and constructors’ championships have just surpassed Schumacher with Jean Todt, Ross Brawn and Rory Byrne et al.

‘Bravo!’ – not only to Lewis, but each and every one of you involved in making it happen.

Charles Bradley, Global Editor in Chief
    motorsport.com

amerikalei and william like this.
  19. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Big congrats to Mercedes and Ham. 6 time WDC is an achievement. Ferrari wasnt competitive at all. Next season they should put up a better fight. Getting rid of Seb would be step one.

william likes this.
  20. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    The excellence is more to do with the experience rather than money. The UK has the most teams based here because the engineers are the best there is for F1. I think there is only ToroRosso, Haas and Ferrari that are not UK based.
    There is a reason all the teams but those mentioned are based here. We are ****ing brilliant at F1. fact :p

The downforce changes and perhaps for Seb the bumpy track linked with extra downforce broke the suspension is my best guess.

There are a few Brits on here and many are likely to be Mercedes supporters because of Lewis.

See above. I think it was more to do with aero changes.

DF1 and sammysaber like this.
  21. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    :D
    I had to give that but don´t get too cocky: F1 is probably the only thing you´re still good at.

P.S: Sauber/Alfa Romeo don´t based at UK too.

22. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    I forgot about Sauber.
    The problem with the UK is lack of investment. There are plenty of brilliant engineers. I've worked with a few.

23. #224 lorenzobandini, Nov 5, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
    I remembered reading somewhere, many years ago, that more than just engineers, it was the many resources that could easily be accessed in GB. A quick Google netted me this from, more recently, the BBC, 2013:

' "It was a combination of factors," Chris Aylett, CEO of the Motorsport Industry Association, told BBC Sport. "When World War II ended, there were many aerospace engineers [based in the area] who were used to building fast, lightweight airplanes to fight the enemy but no avenue for them to use their skills.

"There were also lots of flat airfields [used during the war], such as Silverstone, and not many cars left so the engineers needed to be inventive and started building lightweight cars to race on the airfields which became race tracks.

"That attracted those who wanted to race, and with them came suppliers who set up to fulfil their requirements. And when satellite television arrived in the 1980s and needed to fill airtime, motorsport stepped in and filled the role." '......

......' "The government has latched onto this fact and continues to supply funding and incentives to encourage individuals and companies to push the boundaries of innovation in an area similar to Silicon Valley or the City of London in terms of development.

In 2008, the government set aside £3.5bn in funding for transport improvements and development of centres of technical excellence." '

A bit more at: https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/23048643

MalcQV likes this.
  24. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    I

Great Britain used to enjoy supremacy in race cars manufacturing, but we are slowly loosing ground in that field, unfortunately.
    In the last decades, March, Reynard and Lola did close down when they lost their shares of the market.
    Most of single seater racing has become specs series with just one chassis manufacturer.
    Dallara is now the most prolific chassis manufacturer worldwide, winning contracts for Indycar, Indy Lights, Superformula (Japan), Formula 2 and Formula 3.
    British manufacturers are now completely absent in the field. All that is left are components manufacturers.
    I am afraid that this will be felt in years to come, not only in lost of export revenue, but also because the lower categories where a good environment for designers, engineers and technicians to learn their trade and climb the ladder to eventually reach F1 one day.

Sig. Roma likes this.