Lewis Hamilton | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Lewis Hamilton

Discussion in 'F1' started by Senna1994, Mar 17, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Not surprisingly. There are more than one solutions in taking a particular corner, especially when it is a compromise turn (meaning a combination of turns). Also different driving styles, tires and cars.

2. yzee

yzee F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2005
    Bodegata
    Full Name:
    Michael
    That's turn 10, the end of Mickey Mouse. 8 at the end of the infield straight is sharp left and they pick up very little speed into 1st gear 9 and 10. This is an F1 car in 1st gear through 2 of the slowest consecutive corners they see. Sure looks like a handful standing there, and it results in some varying exit lines.

This is why another quarter mile of track eliminating Mickey and laying down some sweepers would change Indy, but remove a good photo spot.

3. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
  4. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
  5. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Yes, very well Steve. As I said in a previous thread, he not only has the determination but the talent. I think Kimi and Alonso have the same type of talent, but Lewis is still a bit more special. The problem is that Kimi seems to have lost his motivation and Alonoso doesn't have the car to do anything with. I won't mention any other driver, as none are on the same level as these three.

6. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Yes I agree Tony.
    It's now a question if Mclaren and Lewis can keep it up and make no mistakes, because he can do that in style as well, when he is in the zone he makes it look so easy.

I keep thinking about him on Top Gear just cruising round the track like on a sunday drive, and then Clarkson asking him how the hell do you do it, the stig was just as amazed.

7. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    During Hungary qualifying, the announcers were saying that Vettel is the only F1 driver that doesn't have a professional manager.

My initial reaction was, "wait, what about ..." ;)

8. bowbells

bowbells Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2008
    Guernsey
    Full Name:
    Arthur Dent
    Take a drive with any top class driver and you will be amazed at their smoothness and the speed at which they can get around. When i worked with John Surtees, we often travelled in his development Mercedes, I think you could have stood a glass of water on the dash and never spilled a drop. I understand from others that that was very true odf Senna and Stewart when they drove people at the Mechanics Trust events.

9. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Fast forward 12 years..

The OP got it right !

6X WDC and counting, will he make it 7 to equal the great Schumi or even 8?

paulchua likes this.
  10. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I think we are in for a treat next year: He just might make a seventh title. Or not. At any rate I expect an epic battle between Hamilton and LeClerc. Can't wait.

subirg, Surfah, william and 2 others like this.
  11. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    I wouldn't be too optimistic about Hamilton and Mercedes' chances in 2020.
    The era of total domination has come to an end in 2019.
    Already this year, we have seen their superiority being challenged more than in previous years.
    Ferrari and occasionally Red Bull have taken the shine of the LH44/MB combination, and I expect more from them next year.
    Both championships will be more contested in future I hope, for our enjoyment.

ktu likes this.
  12. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    This would great but there is little reason to believe it will happen.

13. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
  14. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I believe we are saying the same thing: If MB continues to have the advantage as in the past, the 7th for Lewis is a shoe-in. But as we have seen since this summer, that's no longer the case. So I think next year we might be actually witnessing a real fight for the title. He might win it or not. We'll see.

subirg, william and ktu like this.
  15. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I think that Hamilton has more chance to beat Schumacher's record of 91 GP wins before the end of his career, than to win 8 championships.

ktu likes this.
  16. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Oh no question. I'm pretty sure he'll crack that record next year.

william and ktu like this.
  17. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    I see it differently, LH was gifted the WDC this year as a result of the clusterFk of a year (esp pre-break) that Ferrari had, such that they were barely even a challenge and RBR was the number 2 team for much of the season.
    Will Ferrari do the same next year? That is the question. I don’t know how optimistic or pessimistic I feel about that.

18. I reserve that "position" for Jim. He was, and still is, my only sports figure "hero", period. (also on the podium, so to speak, Stirling and Jackie)
    Their skill, and demeanor, on and off the track impressed this youngster immensely.
    I found Jimmy(not Jim; it's an American term of endearment)'s only fault was driving in that meaningless (for him, of course, not Lotus), drizzly, Hockenheim F2 race. (He could have been in the BOAC 500 that day for Ford) Such was his allegiance to Colin..... :(

19. Sig. Roma

Sig. Roma Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 11, 2007
    Bella Italia
    Full Name:
    Dom T.
    I think LH has been gifted a number of championships given Vercrashen, and Ferrari failures. Other championships should not have been his.

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  20. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I think when they say sportsman, they meant in any sport.

You seem to concentrate on F1 only.

Britain had famous athletes in many different sports.

21. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I met Hamilton this weekend at COTA. I have to say I was very impressed and he was a charming guy. met him race morning, he signed a hat for my father, ( who likes him ) and he was just very polite, open and all round nice guy. My past impressions of him have changed..... also he drove a very good race.

22. #148 lorenzobandini, Nov 5, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
    Quite correct, William.

In my original draft, I had written:
    "I reserve that "position" for Jim. (admittedly, only auto racing as I have followed no other British sportsmen). He was, and still is, my only sports figure "hero", period. (also on the podium, so to speak, Stirling and Jackie)"

Why I omitted it from my post, I haven't a clue..... :rolleyes::oops:

Further, I've been passionate about all venues of racing so have followed, and participated in, few other sports; and those few, nowhere nearly as much.....('cept pocket billiards; 'have seen Allison Fisher play, and Jeanette Lee is from my "little" hometown in NY ;)) Image Unavailable, Please Login

(edit: I'm American William; Champion Porsche/Audi is in Pomapano Beach, FL. I moved here from NY 45 years ago)
    :)

william likes this.
  23. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    Good real world insight on Hamilton, thanks

24. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    I find it strange that anyone can comment on a 6x WDC as anything other than exceptional. And he's not even done yet...

showme1946, Surfah, ktu and 2 others like this.