The Risk of Dying Doing What We Love | FerrariChat

The Risk of Dying Doing What We Love

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by mdoc3, Nov 2, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mdoc3

mdoc3 Karting
    Owner

Jun 12, 2014
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Martin
  2. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    Interesting. Not sure if I buy the formula 1 stat. Maybe all years combined but nowadays seems pretty dang safe.

GuyIncognito and 71Satisfaction like this.
  3. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Very interesting data but I looked for air show danger level and didn't see any. Years ago when we stopped doing air shows, my wife and I tallied the number of fatalities of air show performers, some we had flown with and some not. During a period of 10 years we counted 30 fatalities. All were not at air shows but all were flying incidents. As far as my experience during those years, I performed with or witnessed flyers like Bob Hoover, Art school, Patty Wagstaff, Chuck Lyford, Joe Hughes, and many others. A buddy of ours started his act with a 13 turn inverted spin and never had a problem. There were no air show incidents with these pilots. Art Scholl lost his life while filming for a motion picture. There was one fatal crash at Abottsford that involved an inexperienced pilot but in all the years that I was going up there and seeing the hundreds of show hours flown by too many pilots to count, there were only two incidents: one gear up and locked and the other was due to an ego down and locked. It will be interesting to hear what caused the Mowhawk to go down at the Stuart air show.

4. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    Curious to know who paid for that study and published it. It's clear the message is "it's safe to fly commercial." Which I agree with overall.

However, there appear to be some flaws in how they sampled data to tell the story. For example, including only certain countries' statistics.

5. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Have lived in an air park for the last 21 yrs, during which time 3 residents have plowed into inmoveable objects, ie the ground.

6. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    You notice it says "Driving (US)". There are many countries out there where driving would probably fall in the "Somewhat Dangerous" category or maybe even worse.

I think the stat on F1 racing is based more on historical data. Considering that we've only lost one driver since 1994 (and even that was a freak accident), I think it would rank higher.

7. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    Well there was Jules Bianci a few years ago.

8. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    He's the one.

9. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    The choice of title for this thread caught my eye...

Barry Schiff, a leading aviation columnist, wrote an article that had a lot of impact. I think it was after Steve Fossett's disappearance.. He noted the absurdity of the platitude "at least he died doing what he loved". Think about it. That's exactly what you DON'T want.

You want to live doing what you love and die at home having enjoyed a rich life.

Now, back to the regularly scheduled program...
    Cheers,
    - Art

Boomhauer and Bob Parks like this.
  10. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I never understood that old saw either. Dying is dying. What you were doing when it takes place is irrelevant to the incident. Like Woody Allen offered," I don't mind dying. I just don't want to be there when it happens."

Boomhauer and 71Satisfaction like this.
  11. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    Most F1 cars are retired from the pro series, and are privately owned. But I'll bet that stat is for all "Formula" cars.

12. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    Didn't Nuvolari say he wished he had died on the track ?

13. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
  14. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    After his stroke, no doubt Nuvolari wished he had died in a racecar crash. He only lasted 9 months afterwards, at any rate.

15. mdoc3

mdoc3 Karting
    Owner

Jun 12, 2014
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Martin

Fully agree, it is about living doing what you love. But how you die then is irrelevant. On the death bed, people predominantly regret what they did not do in their life, not what they did.
    https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2012/feb/01/top-five-regrets-of-the-dying

Boomhauer likes this.
  16. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    1994?

17. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Read what I said: "since 1994".

71Satisfaction likes this.
  18. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    Oh yea, don’t know what I was thinking. I guess I read it wrong.

19. willwork04

willwork04 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2012
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Will
    Interesting statistics. I have always wanted to get into gliders. I knew they were dangerous, but didn't realize they were twice as dangerous as motorcycles. Do y'all have any thoughts/insight into glider safety?

20. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    My motorcycle is insanely fast. The category must be adjusted.

21. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I wonder if that includes scooters.

couple with the "Formula 1" category, I find this data suspect.

ralfabco likes this.
  22. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    I got some friends who do that, and I know one who quit. They have accidents. A gust of wind can slam you into the side of a mountain. The same thing happens to wingsuits. They just don't have enough weight.

The skydivers seem to have a lot of accidents as well. It usually involves a parachute that didn't open. They also had a jump plane that crashed and burned on takeoff recently. Horrible accident. But if I worked in a tall building, I would bring a parachute just in case !