328 Idle issues - AAV, vaccum leak etc | FerrariChat

328 Idle issues - AAV, vaccum leak etc

Discussion in '308/328' started by Iain, Oct 28, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    Having an issue with my 328 whereby it will start OK (hot or cold) but from cold the RPM is more or less around 11/1200, no more than that. Drive off down the road, come to junction or whatever, slow down, dip clutch & revs drop & engine dies unless I give it some gas. It'll keep doing this till its really warmed up at which point it starts behaving itself & more or less idling properly - although the revs will dip a bit below 1000 and then come back up.

I recently had the CO adjusted (on a warm engine) because we found it was running too lean at the annual inspection. It was done on a calibrated gas analyser thing & set to just over 1.1 .

I trawled through the archives here & found a number of references to similar problems & my first thought is to look for an air leak & to check the AAV. I have taken that out from under the expansion tank & done the usual stick it in the freezer, stick it in the oven thing & it opens pretty much fully when cold & closes and seals when hot - I couldn't blow through it when it was hot (after I stuck a bit of rubber hose on the thing to blow through to avoid burning my mouth!).

Tested the resistance across the two terminals & I got dead on 40 ohms. I also checked that there was voltage to the AAV connector when the engine was running & there is voltage there.

So the AAV appears to be OK

Next I have taken off all my vacuum hoses & the hoses to & from the AAV & checked them & as far as I can see they are all OK - but now they are off the car I will try to find some replacements anyway. The ghoses to & from the AAV are 15mm ID & the only stuff I can find that size is fuel hose - would that work? There's also some 10mm in the system - same problem I think. Most of the stuff I can find that's classed as vaccum hose is no more than 5 or 6mm ID.

What I did find is that the vacuum line between the plenum and the digiplex appears to be torn somewhere because its not holding air. Presumably this would allow additional air into the plenum & also might screw up the ignition advance I think (If I have understood what it does correctly). Might that also explain why I get lousy fuel economy (always have done). How hard is it to replace that line? Presumably I just need to take the wheel off & the inner arch to get to it (I hope!). Maybe the answer is just to cut it where its leaking & put a straight joint rather than trying to drag the thing out.

If replacing/fixing that doesn't cure it I'm guessing the next thing to look at would be the Warm up Regulator for which I think I need to get a fuel pressure test done.

Anyone have any thoughts?

newark_308 likes this.
  2. fletch62

fletch62 Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2004
    Fairhope, AL
    Full Name:
    Larry Fletcher
    #2 fletch62, Oct 28, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The vacume line is simple, follow it through the wheel arch to the digiplexs. I think you could have other problems, mainly airflow sensor plate rest height is off. This is the most commonly overlooked adjustment on a CIS car. Look at the pic and get it dead on, readjust the mixture and let us know the results.

Larry Fletcher
    CIS Flow Tech Llc.
    251-929-3771
    [email protected]
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    Replaced my torn vacuum line (and it looks like its been torn for quite a while). Airflow sensor plate appears to be in the right place . Car is idling much better though I havn't had a chance to take it out & road test it (it started throwing it down with rain just after I finished). I'll get the mixture reset this week

Does anyone know/can anyone explain what exactly the digiplex vacuum does? Is it an adaption of the old fashined vacuum advance for engine timing or something else? I would have thought timing would have been managed by the digiplex via the crank sensors etc.

I wonder how much power/performance I've been losing with this thing.....

I.

4. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #4 Steve Magnusson, Nov 16, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2008
    The Digiplex does use the flywheel sensor signals to determine where the crankshaft is at any given time and the engine RPM, but it also uses the intake manifold pressure to determine how much "load" is on the engine and then selects what ignition advance it should use for that particular load and RPM (i.e., the "advance curve" for your 328 is really a 3-D map of ignition advance vs RPM vs intake manifold pressure rather than just a 2-D map of ignition advance vs RPM). If the vacuum port on the Digiplex is just left open to atmosphere (which is what you get with a large leak like you describe), the ignition advance will always be greatly retarded (compared to most normal operating conditions) because the Digiplex will "think" the load is very high (like you are at WOT). You should notice an improvement (for non-WOT operation) when you correct the problem.

5. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    Thanks for that - a great explanation.

I'm looking forward to seeing how much better it is - since I now think this has been like this for a long time, it might be the cheapest "upgrade" I ever did!

I.

6. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    No trouble, but I (and you) should have said "Microplex" (and not "Digiplex") for a 328 -- but the issue is the same for both.

7. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    CO level checked, & idle properly adjusted and for the first time in a loooong time my car is idling properly & also idling well through the warm up phase (around 13/1400 when cold). Very much smoother winding up through the rev range as well - I wouldn't say much more power, but the engine is clearly working better.

So that moral of that story is: Bad idle? Aside from the obvious electrics, plug extenders etc, check your vacuum hoses!

I am currently running the tanks dry to change a couple more fuel hoses but after that I shall be interested to see if the fuel consumption is any better - it should be in theory.

8. newark_308

newark_308 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Newark DE
    Full Name:
    Glenn Frenck
    This bit me hard yesterday, started without issue but won't maintain idle and tries to die unless I stay on the gas and keep the revs up to 1200 until oil temp shows 160 and then it's perfect from there.
    Bad AAV?

Sent from my SM-G973U using FerrariChat.com mobile app

9. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    Good grief - spectacular thread resurrection!

Air leaks are the absolute enemy & these kind of issues often start & end there. There are some documented tests you can run on the AAV & also worth checking that the diaphragm inside the ignition box is still OK as well.

10. Freddie328

Freddie328 Formula Junior

Jul 29, 2013
    Herts, UK
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Out of curiosity, are these engines supposed to run at higher RPM when cold?
    My 328 seems to run at a constant idle speed (950rpm) hot or freezing cold, although I can hear it running richer during the warm up phase.

11. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    Mine will, but only if its very cold & even then it doesn't do it for long.

12. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Many cars do that. It's fairly normal.

13. Bryn Kahrl

Bryn Kahrl Rookie

Jul 6, 2019
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Bryn Kahrl
    #13 Bryn Kahrl, May 2, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2020
    I have this same issue. I partially solved it when I found an air leak. The car is at the shop redoing the leather interior but once this is complete I will start searching for the other airleaks (hopefully) that are causing this problem.