Maserati Khamsin | Page 312 | FerrariChat

Maserati Khamsin

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Maeter, Feb 24, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob

Ask Walter about the details on those rims. When I was there in 94 for a month I met the Postert guys and they had lots of those BBS rims with much nicer tires on them for several Boras and Khamsins at the Cortina European Maserati meet. I beleive that company is kaputz now but maybe he knows which cars had them and perhaps you work backwards from there.

I had a US company make 3-pc rims for my Ghibli Open Cup car and they were excellent. THey make a lot of racing and street rims. I got a deal and we went back and forth with sample sizing setups because of the huge calipers on that car. Forgeline. https://forgeline.com/

Great guys to work with back then anyway.

2. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Art forget about those BBS wheels they were only used on half a dozen German registered Khamsins. Get normal K wheels even used ones but avoid magnesium wheels as they age badly and are dangerous.
    Use proper Michelin or Pirelli tires.

3. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    Grazie, Marc and Bob,

I assumed the BBS rims were "off the shelf" products from back then. What I found for prices on used, OEM Khamsin Campognolo rims were simply astronomical. I'll look to Forgeline or Mr Fiat.

Does anyone have the confirmed specs for bolt pattern, offset, backspace? I can measure the originals, I suppose.
    - Art

4. boralogist

boralogist Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2005
    71Satisfaction likes this.
  5. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    #7780 71Satisfaction, Oct 27, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2019
    Thank you for that source Boralogist - I'll let you know how negotiations go. They probably have a certain production level to consider.

Otherwise - I'm seeing some 5-spoke 'Ferrari-esque' rims on an Australian K and Merak - anyone know what these are? They may not work here in the US, due to being right hand drive and all... ha. ha.

https://www.shannons.com.au/auctions/2016-shannons-sydney-spring-classic-auction/B0JAOBB8712W611B/

https://fineartamerica.com/featured/5-maserati-merak-ss-anthony-croke.html

faux-Borranis look classy, looks like a conversion to knock-off hubs though... I don't see 4 lug nuts between the spokes like the "faux knock-offs" have, or?

https://fineartamerica.com/featured/4-maserati-khamsin-anthony-croke.html

- Art

6. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
  7. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Pricing so low we cannot show!

I think they include a can of Crisco though ... ;) :p

71Satisfaction likes this.
  8. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Save yourself a lot of time and find a how too website to get up to speed. Call the guys at Forgeline and ask them which easy tools out there could help you out and then do it. 17" or 18" wheels will give a lot more options for tires and at much better pricing. But the owner may not want that.
    Getting custom 15" wheels seems just dumb. The older BBS style had the advantage of hiding the suspension/hub/caliper which in stock form isn't something to show off.

9. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Art I highly encourage using original design wheels only; Borrani -or any wire wheels- on K's are totally wrong. As mentioned avoid the magnesium wheels but the starburst should not be hard to find.

boralogist likes this.
  10. Froggie

Froggie Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2017
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Serge
    The issue was already discussed here:
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/classic-maserati-modern-wheels.224404/

Repros of the OEM 15" Starbust made from aluminium are worth because of the (un)safety of the mag wheels.
    Magnesium is easily corroded by oxidising elements (oxygen, water, salt) and becomes brittle when it ages. Even when protected with state of the art coatings, there is always a risk to use old mag wheels if not thoroughly inspected e.g. by X-rays beforehand.

The Candini wheels are outstanding, CNC machined from forged billets.
    Price is set accordingly, 1.5k per wheel...
    Heibrand's are much cheaper but they are cast, heavier and not readily available, usually you have to wait for a batch to be made.

Both models are mirroring the OEM 15" Starbust design with 4x130 PCD, 7.5" width and ET 21 offset.

If you want a non OEM design, as many others have already stated here, I believe that only the BBS RS design fits the Masers of the period.
    Unfortunately the only BBS RS model that was designed for them with the 4x130 PCD, specifically for the Merak and Bora, is unobtainium today.
    It is the set of RS123 and RS124 in 16" diameter and 8"/10" width, ET18/ET30 offsets for front/rear respectively.

Now comes the issue of suitable tires in 16".
    The only remaining suitable models that can fit these Masers are either the Michelin Pilot Sport at a hefty price or the BF Goodrich Sport Comp2 that is still available in north america at a very attractive price.
    BFG offers a 225/55 R16 size for front and 255/50 R16 for rear.

If you go up to 17" or 18", you may have more tire choices but imho that size does not fit the overall design of these classic Masers

Nembo1777 and 71Satisfaction like this.
  11. boralogist

Jun 21, 2005
    Please feel free to plagiarize another Euro Bora avatar from the Polish You Tube site!
    That would be significantly less dumb!

Enjoy!

B

12. boralogist

Jun 21, 2005
  13. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Please gents this is not the Bora thread, let's keep it focused and also decorous, thank you very much.

71Satisfaction and boralogist like this.
  14. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob

WTH?

Come on over and I'll show you something. Or you could just ask a few knowledgable people and save yourself a lot of trouble.
    For your future attacks please spare everyone else who are just here to enjoy and share knowledge. Contact me via PM.

15. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    #7790 NeuroBeaker, Oct 28, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2019

Many people pick nice images on the internet, rather than personal photographs, to use as their avatar. It doesn't mean he's pretending to own someone else's car. I think your outrage is misplaced. o_O

Perhaps I should disclose that my own avatar is not a personal portrait. Sadly, my own eyes aren't quite as luminescent and I tend not to emit an exhilarating sizzle of electrical smoke (although it has been known to happen on rare occasions). Try as I might, I'm not quite ready to perform on The Muppet Show. :(

All the best,
    Andrew.

16. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    I can attest that Bob has owned Bora #1048 the last Bora built Oct 1978 for over 30 years, I had its twin #1046 built on the same day.

17. 010

010 Karting

May 19, 2009
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Richard
  18. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Huh what?:) I will only speak in the presence of my attorney;-)

That topic does not belong in the Khamsin thread and will have its own thread when I have a minute, finishing a book chapter AND an article today...

010 likes this.
  19. 010

010 Karting

May 19, 2009
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Richard
  20. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    It is 1260 the stolen car of Al Skolnick, taken from him in the 80's search this thread I explained the whole saga several times. Again I believe Gullwing do not know about that.

boralogist and 010 like this.
  21. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #7796 Nembo1777, Nov 5, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
    Here is the best photogallery I have ever seen, a huge selection of different K's mostly in Europe. I know the chassis numbers of most of them but some are unknown to me: Roger and others let us know which ones you are familiar with and not.

https://hiveminer.com/flickr_hvmnd.cgi?method=GET&photo_type=250&photo_number=50&search_domain=Tags&noform=t&originput=khamsin,maserati&page=1&tag_mode=all&textinput=khamsin,maserati&search_type=Tags&sort=Interestingness&sorting=Interestingness

Except for the first photo on top left (160 or 1054 in Zurich?) the other top row photos are 182 in Paris.
    Row two is all Chantilly 2019: 202 light green owned by the even't organizer and 1144 owned by a German living in Paris, part of the French Maser club board. Row three first three photos 1144. The red car far right third row is a converted US car by the looks of the wipers.
    There are a couple of photos of my ex car gold 1242, on line four there is the beautiful light blue one I think one of us here owns -090 if I am correct or 236 also in Holland- while the BBS shod grey car is 328 with the modified nose made in Germany. I am curious as to the brown one with US bumper in a tent, not familiar with that one. Let's complete the whole page before moving to page 2, thanks in advance for any input:)!

22. AMLC

AMLC Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
    Hello Marc, yes that is 090.
    236 has darker blue metallic paint (and was originally luci del Bosco).

The yellow plates are not on 090 anymore, I changed to classic plates (dark blue) this year. That's possible in Holland for cars registered before 1978.

23. AMLC

AMLC Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
    By the way, it is not me driving in this picture. It is a short testdrive by a mechanic.
    That explains why the rear hatch is not closed correctly and why there are no hubcaps on the wheels.

24. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hello AMLC, yes I thought it was yours and now I recall that 236 is darker, did not know it was lbd new though, bedankt:)

25. rga

rga Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2012
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Roger the Dodger
    Hello Marc

the brown one is 1020, as you can see because of the sunroof.
    I know most of the cars on theses pages, but do you really want to go through 14 pages one by one?
    Only the 1:43 ones I have difficulty in reading the VIN, even with my glasses on and using the magnifying option of windows...

Regards, Roger