Ferrari is aiming to move further upmarket with its branded accessories | FerrariChat

Ferrari is aiming to move further upmarket with its branded accessories

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by maha, Nov 5, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. maha

maha F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2014
    dinajpur, bangladesh
    Full Name:
    mahmud
    Ferrari Brings in Armani for Italian Boost to Its Luxury Brand
    Ferrari NV is aiming to move further upmarket with its branded accessories by teaming up with another iconic Italian name, Giorgio Armani SpA, to help push the supercar maker’s handbag and clothing lines into the premium-price space.

Chief Executive Officer Louis Camilleri is tackling a long-held goal of former Chairman Sergio Marchionne, who died in 2018: transform Ferrari into a fully fledged luxury brand. After raising guidance for 2019 sales and profit, the company said Monday that branded goods will contribute 10% of earnings before interest and tax within the next 7-10 years.

Ferrari’s new direction in branded goods means items like parkas and sunglasses will now carry premium-style pricing more in keeping with the image of the company’s sports cars, which can cost more than $1 million each, people familiar with the matter said.

“Our current offerings are too stretched and are in danger of diluting our very precious brand equity,” Camilleri said on a conference call with analysts.

Ferrari has long used mall and airport stores selling polo shirts and luggage to let fans take home a piece of the brand at a fraction of the price.

While that sort of merchandising can reinforce the brand, a focus on $150 watches and $30 caps could risk denting its exclusive image.

”We will reduce our current licensing agreements by some 50%,” the CEO said. “We will also eliminate some 30% of the product categories in which we participate.”

Ferrari’s reputation for top-notch engineering could make more technical categories like watches and eyewear a logical target for its new strategy.

Armani has tried to refocus on its luxurious image by increasing control -- buying back the license to make fast-fashion under the Armani Exchange banner -- and discontinuing mid-range department-store lines. However, sales aren’t expected to return to growth until next year.

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Louis Camilleri

Key Earnings Highlights

• Shipments rose 9% during the third quarter to 2,474 units. While the rise was slower than the 13% for the first nine months of the year, the company began delivering its pricey Monza SP1 and SP2 models.
    • This is turning into a record year for Ferrari in terms of range renewal after it unveiled two new cars in September. It also plans to unveil a new supercar Nov. 14 in Rome, according to people familiar with the matter.
    • Adjusted earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization rose 11% to 311 million euros, beating an average of analyst estimates of 296.4 million euros
    • Shares in Maranello, Italy-based Ferrari rose as much as 7.4% on Monday as investors also applauded quarterly earnings that beat estimates.

ok good luck with that.
    [​IMG]
    . but if they intend to totally abandon so called "cheap" clothings that would be wrong. i don't think 150$ jackets. $120 sweatshirt, $60-$80 tshirts or 20-75$ caps are deluting its brand value. its scuderia Ferrari is a sports team and it has lots of supporters and fans. they need to support their team during various events and they show their loyality wearing team marcendaising. it can be compared to Soccer teams like Juventus or Milan. imagine an f1 sports event, fans without ferrari clothing, flags or umbrellas. they can still go upmarket while maintaining its availability to general fans. using the cavallino logo for luxury products and Scuderia Ferrari logo for sports oriented products aimed for general fans. what actually diluting their brand is those cheap powerbanks, can be found in their web store.

2. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    No offense to anyone here but I wouldn't be caught dead wearing something with the Ferrari emblem.....I will own the cars but not the clothes....way to tacky IMO....

3. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Armani isn’t really the top end of off the peg Italian fashion. Think Kiton, Valentino, Loro Piana, Cucinelli, etc. There’s nothing wrong with Armani. It’s a great brand, but not really analogous with Ferrari in terms of relative stature within its space.

4. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    Key chains and maybe a baseball cap is the extent of what I wear. Ok, maybe a polo shirt, but only one at a time

5. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    I can appreciate fan-ware as being affordable. But will their "premium-style" be comprised of premium quality as well? Seems they gave up on quality materials for clothing and accessories awhile ago.

JCR likes this.
  6. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I have some ferrari swag, but it's honestly embarrassing to wear. A simple logo like polo shirts have would be just fine. I dont need to be a walking advertisement/billboard.

7. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    The highest compliment a business can have is to have people pay the business to advertise its products.

tomc likes this.
  8. Jasonberkeley

Jasonberkeley Formula 3

Apr 23, 2017
    NW Corner, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Berkeley
    Key chain is it.

9. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    That's why my Ferrari has NO shields on the fenders.
    They should pay me, not the other way round.

Marcel Massini