F1 in the big picture | FerrariChat

F1 in the big picture

Discussion in 'F1' started by trumpet77, Nov 6, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. trumpet77

trumpet77 Formula 3

Jun 13, 2011
    Great Neck, NY
    Full Name:
    Robert Nixon
    I'm an F1 and Ferrari fan, and really enjoyed attending my first race in Austin. However, just a moment to reflect on the big picture of life.

Despite our love of one team or dislike of another (gotta have heroes and villains!), something happened after the race that was just sad. Someone was walking away from the track, probably to a remote parking lot, and was killed by a hit and run driver on that two lane road right outside the main grandstand. Being a fan isn't worth losing your life, and at this point it doesn't matter if he was jaywalking in the dark, bottom line someone hit and killed someone else and then kept driving. That's the last I've heard since Monday morning.

I'd left the race after waiting for traffic to die down, listened to some of the Kool and the Gang, and then headed to the parking lot to drive back to our hotel. Maybe 8pm I was watching the race rerun on ESPN when my son called from the track. He and his friends had stuck around to do some karting there, but when they went to leave they were told they couldn't walk down that road. Reason? It was now a crime scene and the investigation probably wouldn't end til midnight! So, they were stuck at the track, couldn't walk to their car, and the sheriffs being busy couldn't take them to their car.

Long story short I went and picked them up, the sheriffs let us go around the crime scene and get to their car, happy ending for us, but man, this happened right by track, with huge amounts of traffic. It could happen to anyone, so let's be careful out there.

I'm 360 Canuck and 375+ like this.
  2. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    Sad to hear that, as you said, could have been anyone

3. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    I remember walking a good distance to get the shuttle bus at the race in Monza. Seems to be well organized.

4. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    Very sad news. Hopefully they’ll catch the driver who didn’t stop.