348 Engine grenade | FerrariChat

348 Engine grenade

Discussion in '348/355' started by hercfe, Oct 21, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. hercfe

hercfe Karting

Apr 21, 2015
    Northeast US
    Full Name:
    Ben
    Well, I am anticipating the worst, and trying to get ahead of what I am sure will be really bad news. To make a long story short, looks like my engine grenaded itself and either I'm going to part the car out, or try to find another engine. Internet searches have produced nothing. The car is at Scuderia Performante who I've been dealing with years, and trust Tony and Anthony completely, they just haven't had time to pull it apart yet. Does anyone have a line on an engine? My car is a 94' 348 Spider.

2. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Andy 355 likes this.
  3. knocker

knocker F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 10, 2017
    Sydney Aus
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    This ones in Australia fwiw
    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com.au%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F292975643094

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

4. hercfe

hercfe Karting

Apr 21, 2015
    Northeast US
    Full Name:
    Ben
    Oil level was fine, no oil loss, within a year of its last major. Had it out for a nice drive for a few hours, didn't drive hard at all, was coming home driving slow in a 25mph zone in second gear, and heard the worst noise of my life. Pulled over and shut it down immediately. Towed to Scuderia, it cranked, so not seized, they are swamped so it's sitting in the shop until they can get to it. Clearly I'm thinking the worst.

5. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    ugh best of luck. Let's hope its not something simple missed/done wrong at major forgot to tighten something and something came loose and rather its something simply fixed!

Dino L likes this.
  6. Dino L

Dino L Rookie

Oct 29, 2018
    sacramento, ca
    Full Name:
    William D Lozano
    As a fellow 348 owner I feel your pain and wish the best. I will be following to see updates. Good luck

7. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
  8. jferrante

jferrante Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2016
  9. hercfe

hercfe Karting

Apr 21, 2015
    Northeast US
    Full Name:
    Ben
    Thanks guys, I will update when I hear. The water pump is OEM. And thanks for the leads on the engines!

10. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    Hopefully it won’t be as dad as you fear.

I believe there are a couple over here in the UK, eBay, eurospares. Also try red bay cars in Belgium and pro sport.

(cost of shipping is remarkable cheap so don’t let the distance put you off!)

fingers crossed it’s something cheap!!

11. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    several engines are on eBay right now

12. Andy 355

Andy 355 Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2013
    Sydney
    What was the worst noise of your life?

13. hercfe

hercfe Karting

Apr 21, 2015
    Northeast US
    Full Name:
    Ben
    An interference motor, interfering...

14. QSA

QSA Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    Kingwood, TX
    Full Name:
    Quinn
    Sorry to hear it, but thanks for sharing and keeping fellow owners updated, as it may help someone else head off the same result.

If you go down the road of engine replacement, don’t forget to factor in what you could sell your current long-block for; even if it’s worst-case, needs pistons and complete top-end; a good core, crank, and ancillaries should easily fetch you a few grand.

15. hercfe

hercfe Karting

Apr 21, 2015
    Northeast US
    Full Name:
    Ben
    I certainly will. I'm getting the feeling it may have been something simple that could have been replaced on the last major, that's just not a "standard" consumable part. But, we shall see. To your point, I've been searching parts sites all over the place, and it's sad to say, but the car may be intrinsically worth more parted out... However, there is no price to be put on the feeling you get driving these things. It may be a very tough choice...

16. JasonS

JasonS Karting

Sep 5, 2019
    Green, OH
    Full Name:
    Jason Stropki
  17. Andy 355

Andy 355 Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2013
    Sydney
    The worst noise of your life would be your wife coming home when your girlfriend is over. That makes a 348 engine very cheap indeed.

Themaven, BOKE and Pangea like this.
  18. flying butress

Oct 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    Robin Kohn
    I regret that I don't have much to add, but I also take my 348 Spider to Tony for service inasmuch as his shop is 10 minutes from my house. Hopefully your problem is truly something 'little and stupid'. In anticipation that the fix will be easy, please contact me as a local member of the Brotherhood.

19. mojocoggo

mojocoggo Rookie

Jul 28, 2013
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Dylan Leff
    It’s troubling to hear of yet another potential catastrophic failure within such a short time after a major service.

I can only imagine the feeling of hearing that sound while driving. Keep us updated.

20. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    is this a new issue? If so I know what is going on. It almost happened to me but caught it at the worst install stage.

21. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    A 348 had this happen with a Capristo pump 2 weeks before this thread, the thread is out there.

22. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Using the waterpump as an idle bearing for the single timing belt, what could possibly go wrong?

Rifledriver and Wade like this.
  23. Eric C

Eric C F1 Veteran
    BANNED Rossa Subscribed

Mar 20, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Maybe clutch, flywheel or half shaft took a dump on you...

24. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Hopefully as minimal damage as possible...keep us posted, I will be watching this thread.