Metering device flap - is this normal | FerrariChat

Metering device flap - is this normal

Discussion in '308/328' started by Freddie328, Nov 4, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Freddie328

Freddie328 Formula Junior

Jul 29, 2013
    Herts, UK
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Hi All
    Is corrosion like this often seen after 50k miles? Cars a 88.5 328.
    I don't suppose it will make noticeable difference to performance, and is it individually matched to the metering unit housing?
    Thanks for any tips.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. BrockBenson

BrockBenson Formula Junior

Oct 18, 2018
    Australia
    Hi Freddie,
    I've not seen corrosion like that unless its seen moisture. The intake is designed with some traps and drains to allow any water ingestion to drain. To me it looks like water has sat on the air valve for a while? If it was mine I'd at least put some rust converter so it doesn't continue, or even better pull the valve out to clean and treat it. Remember these are balanced between fuel pressure and airflow, so don't remove any weight from the valve.The service manual has a good description of how to remove, install and align the valve. Cheers, BB

Freddie328 likes this.
  3. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Looks like it has been exposed to a high humidity place or it got wet. Just make sure it’s not like that along the edge as it might rub against the wall.

Freddie328 likes this.
  4. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Wouldn't the mixture adjustment be disturbed if the plate was removed and not installed exactly as it was originally? I would leave it alone. Cad plating must be awfully thin there.

5. Freddie328

Freddie328 Formula Junior

Jul 29, 2013
    Herts, UK
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Yes, that what I thought, and the plate will need re centring.
    Its a bit odd. The Probst book says the K Jetronic metering plate should be made from Aluminium.
    Are these systems some sort of hybrid to the basic K Jetronic system?

6. Hinecker

Hinecker Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2011
    Hello Andy,
    Yes it would be disturbed, yet it's really easy to center, here's the trick... You place a sheet of paper inside the hole(perpendicular to the plate).
    Install the plate (it's a tight fit with the paper in the way). Once the plate is secure with the screw, you remove the paper sheet... Job done!
    The plate is zinc plated steel, once you have it removed you can clean it and replate or go for another plate if it's really corroded or pitted. You can also make it from sheet steel and plate it. If you go this route. weight and exact diameter have to be kept.

Just my experience.

John

paul01 and Streetsurfer like this.