Getrag gearbox issues anyone ? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Getrag gearbox issues anyone ?

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by [email protected], Nov 17, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    Look who's talking about cold :D ... until I get about 2 miles on mine in the morning it is sluggish too, although it is in a 60 degree garage at night. Going home at the end of the day it can be really cold and still takes only about two miles to get happy again.

Rick

2. daliguy1

daliguy1 Rookie

Jul 27, 2013
    Miami, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Jack Don
    Sorry to say the Ferrari contract with Getrag transmissions is an ongoing concern for collectors, as parts are not available to dealers for repairs. They gave the exclusive to Getrag to service and provide parts since the model 458 came our and all Ferraris with Getrag drivtetrains are the troublesome models that scares off new and exsisting buyers of the marque.

3. rocketman

rocketman Formula 3

Oct 1, 2009
    NY & Miami
    Which models have the Getrag drive train and has anyone else reading this had issues ?

4. daliguy1

daliguy1 Rookie

Jul 27, 2013
    Miami, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Jack Don
    Pretty much all new models built on or after the introduction of the 458 which initiated the problem as Ferrari rushed to market without having their own designed and manufactured transmission. Last drive train that you can buy parts and get serviced is the 430 models. After that it's downhill.
    J

5. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    Holy thread resurrection Batman,

this thread was started 9 years ago. The issues with the DCT have been well documented since then. In addition, there are service packs and Ferrari dealers do have getrag trained gearbox techs on site to perform any tear down and maintenance. So, the situation is not as dire as it might appear.

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  6. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    Not even Porsche manufactures the PDK box ... this is just hyperbole. A whole bunch of manufacturers use the Getrag gearboxes, including BMW and Mercedes. ZF builds the PDK for Porsche.

JotaEle and ingegnere like this.
  7. daliguy1

daliguy1 Rookie

Jul 27, 2013
    Miami, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Jack Don
    [We
    Ok......
    Yes the thread is old, but the problem still exists. Most dealers cannot order certain Getrag parts from Getrag, I have firsthand experience on my 2007 California and my 458. Both had failures under 1000 miles on gear shift mechanisms and the 3 Ferrari dealers, Then Collection, Lauderdale Ferrari, and another in the West Coast could not order the parts without sending the units back to Getrag as they were out of warranty.
    And finally you are right it is a 9 year old post but the problem still exists and the shortfall on the service end is a deterrent for me, to buy any new model after the 430 series. But like I stated, this is my opinion as a collector and as an investor reason not to trade the stock as is fluctuates with reason.
    J

8. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    I hear you - I don’t look forward to the day I get a DCT error. But can I ask - if the gearboxes failed with less than 1000 miles on them, am I right in assuming that the failures happened a long time ago? If so, I can understand the repair issues you faced. However, I really do believe the repair protocols and spares availability has changed a lot in the last few years and that DCT failure today is much less of an issue than it was 5 years ago.

9. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Gentlemen,

Every Ferrari has potential ticking time bombs in terms of cronic mechanical problems that can lead to hefty maintenance bills.

308, 328, Mondial, 348: water pump, fuse box, rubber belts.

355: valve guides, cracked headers, F1 issues, engine mounts, etc

360, F430: F1 issues, cracked headers.

My point: despite known and cronic issues, they’re great cars to own and enjoy. That shouldn’t disqualify a car from being interesting to drive and/or collect. Luck is always a factor, but if we managed to buy them, we surely should be able to afford to maintain them.

Use responsibly, maintain them, and repeat. Not saying it’s fun to spend 5 digits on servicing a car, but it’s better to enjoy life and spend money that way than in the pharmacy or the hospital.

Expensive things break on any car, regardless of brand. Getting out of the house is a risk these days, but we still get out of bed and enjoy life, as we should.

Just my two cents. Life is short, sometimes even shorter than you think. Make the most out of being well off and healthy enough to enjoy your Ferrari(s)! Worrying about doomsday removes happiness from life.

The recipe for success, imvho: History, PPI and due diligence maintenance-wise.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

10. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Erm, there are like... no 2007 Californias.

The Cali was unveiled in October 2008 and came out as a 2009 model in the North American market. Are you sure you own these cars? The DCT is just a newer type of automatic transmission. Ferrari unwittingly made its maintenance expensive in the beginning by making Getrag sole source for repairs but that is no longer the case so repairs are similar to automatic transmission rebuilds. If you are that worried you can buy extended warranty.

The claims you made about the dealers not being able to order parts because the cars were out of warranty makes no sense. Instead the converse should be true. By the way, how can your cars be out of warranty if they had less than 1000 miles use when they broke down? Again, this makes no sense.

Also neither the California nor the 458, except perhaps the Speciale Aperta, are considered collector cars. If you want a collector car you need to spend much more money to own one and then put very few miles on that car. Nobody cares about DCT worries with a collector car.

You also seem to be commenting on the Ferrari stock which has nothing to do with this thread. Ferrari continues to use the DCT on all their cars so you are wasting your time. As more units are made, parts and labour will get cheaper and more commonly available.

You are either a very confused owner or you haven’t got your facts straight.

11. daliguy1

daliguy1 Rookie

Jul 27, 2013
    Miami, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Jack Don
    Mr. Fool:
    Are you aware that the date of manufacturer is on the car, thus that is the actual year of manufacture not the year the model was released in. If you feel compelled to argue over such a petty issue , get you facts straight and leave your remarks after you spell check them. I don't care what you post as it does not matter to me .
    Thanks for your unfounded critic.....
    lol

12. daliguy1

daliguy1 Rookie

Jul 27, 2013
    Miami, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Jack Don
    #37 daliguy1, Nov 5, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
    Ferrari California_Production:2008–2017 Manufactured date started in- 2007-on
    Link_https://www.classicdriver.com/en/car/ferrari/california/2007/624115
    Just another frivolous fact.....lol

13. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #38 4th_gear, Nov 5, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
    Ah, I see you are narrating your message under the name "Mr. Fool". Well, there's no need to call yourself such a name. I think you are only very confused or are stating the wrong facts. Unfortunately, you have now stated additional inaccuracies. Let me explain.

You said earlier that "...I have firsthand experience on my 2007 California...", clearly meaning "my 2007 (model year) California", and not "...my California, produced in 2007 (model year 2008)". In any case, why would a 2007 production date be relevant in this discussion as you could not have been driving it in 2007?

In addition, as I wrote earlier, the California was only announced in October 2008 (in Paris). And since you are in Miami, unless you explain otherwise, you would be owning a North American Cali model and the Cali was not sold in the North American market before 2009. So it is impossible for a North American California model to have been produced with a 2007 production date. BTW, the car you located on the "Classic Driver" link you provided is a UK (United Kingdom) car. It's also RHD (right hand drive) - see below for a screenshot of the ad.

FYI, Classic Driver is a Swiss publication with an address in London UK and it is not a US publication so beware, most of the cars it lists are not US cars. In any case, the Classic Driver author of the ad appears to be also confused because his ad for this "2007 California" states "...Delivered in August of 2009..." implying the car was a 2007 California delivered in August 2009. That's almost 2 years without a (first) owner. Well, I have complained about auto journalists before. Shown below is a screenshot of the car's service history with first service clearly recorded as having been in 2010. So is that car really a 2007 model?

Finally, I'm curious about your saying "...get you facts straight and leave your remarks after you spell check them...". I think you meant to write "...get your facts..." but anyway while I know my facts are straight I'm not aware of any spelling errors in my message. It's not that I don't make spelling or grammatical errors as I sometimes do, but my spell checker did not pick up any errors in my previous message. I would be grateful if you can point out my spelling error(s) in case my spell checker is using a flawed vocabulary.

Thank you in advance.

14. AlfistaPortoghese

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Gentlemen, please be cordial. This is debate about a Califonia mechanical issue that I’m sure is of interest to the vast majority of owners and enthusiasts. I’m sure we can proceed by sharing different points of view and experiences that end up creating a constructive and broader discussion. Namecalling has no place here.

This is a first and final warning.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

4th_gear likes this.
  15. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    As for DTC parts availability, Ferrari has made it harder and harder to get replacement parts for the Getrag DTC gearbox. Now an independent repair shop or individual can no longer purchase repair parts/kits for Getrag gearboxes.

The car must be at a dealership for the DTC repairs, and all of the car's information (VIN, mileage, etc) has to be sent by the dealership to Ferrari before they can get authorization to order replacement parts.

16. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    OK, let's look at what these gearbox repair parts/kits are. Here's the list provided by Eurospares, which, aside from UK and EU spec kits also carries US-spec kits (NOTE: only parts with a GREEN dot is shown as in stock):

Here's an image showing what some of these kits consist of. As you can make out, some kits like the SC3 Kit (#7) is made up by a combination of other kits (#1, Delta 2.1, SAP 2.1 and CCP 2.3) :

I think there are some plausible reasons for what you describe: 1) Ferrari is giving priority to warranty repairs, 2) there is a shortage of parts which may or may not be due to artificial reasons. If there is a shortage of service parts, Ferrari would likely direct what inventory they have to meeting warranty commitments before supplying out-of-warranty dealer repair requests and would be even less likely to supply non-dealer repair shops.

As for whether Ferrari is purposely restricting availability of parts, obviously I don't know but these parts are expensive so I imagine most companies do not hold large inventory of spare parts. OTOH, I believe dealers actually make more money by doing repairs on out of warranty cars than servicing Ferrari warranty work. So I don't think a shortage of parts benefits dealers. As for restricting supply to independent repair shops, that also seems counter-productive for Ferrari because the factory is putting out 10,000 new cars every year and the first cars that came with DCT came out 11 years ago. Every one of the current new cars use DCTs. We are also not getting increasing numbers of authorized dealers/service garages every year to address such a sustained annual increase in Ferraris with DCTs.

The age limit of cars for obtaining NewPower Warranty is 12 years. You also cannot get NewPower Warranty if the DCT in your car doesn't pass inspection. So Ferrari has to allow ways for such cars to stay on the road. It doesn't want to see junked Ferraris featured on YouTube videos. It would kill the brand image.

As cars get older and rack up mileage, more and more will be out of warranty and need DCT service. It doesn't make sense for Ferrari to make it difficult for owners to keep their cars on the road or create an image of a company that is forcing owners to buy warranties they do not want or cannot obtain. Why would Ferrari force some owners to abandon or not be able to drive their cars, or be given reasons to avoid buying another Ferrari with a DCT? Ferrari is into selling new cars, servicing them is really a (after)sales support function. They are into selling cars and selling brand image - not repairing their cars would be suicidal.

So I suspect the parts shortage is temporary and may be due to the original parts suppliers having to schedule the manufacture of sufficient quantity to reconstitute spare parts inventory. Ferrari does not make these parts and I suspect Getrag also does not make all of the parts either. Both Ferrari and Getrag rely on other suppliers to provide various parts that make up these repair kits and the DCTs. As more cars with the Getrag 7DCL750 model DCT enter the market, the suppliers will increase their supply volume. At least Ferrari is using the same 7DCL750 DCT for all of its cars, which in effect improves the serviceability of the cars using the same model of DCT.

So my suspicion is that the supply shortage is unintended and temporary.

Finally, there are apparently some DCT repair kits that are in stock. Here are 2 currently listed by Scuderia Car Parts:

Radu, lucasines, ANOpax and 1 other person like this.
  17. AlfistaPortoghese

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Spectacular post. Extremely informative. Thank you for taking the time to share, Michael!

Kind regards,

Nuno.

18. Captbern

Captbern Rookie

Apr 2, 2021
    Ferrari Cali 2013 The Gertag transmission saga continues We have the transmission apart and we need the inside seals one that goes on each side of the housing they are Kaco seals Made in Hungary
    Seal sizes 34. 48. 10/12/01 counter clock rotation
    D.G. 34. 45.5.4.5/6.5 LF 01
    900. 90481. 60
    Any help or guidance would greatly be appreciated thank you respectfully Bernardo

19. Vilhuer

Vilhuer Karting

Aug 3, 2008
    Helsinki, Finland