355 - 355 Rear Glass Defroster Lines... | FerrariChat

355 355 Rear Glass Defroster Lines...

Discussion in '348/355' started by F1ScuderiaTifosi, Nov 7, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F1ScuderiaTifosi

Mar 16, 2015
    Hill Country TEXAS
    Full Name:
    JB
    Does anyone know if the defroster lines are on the inside or outside of the glass on an F355? I want to remove the old glass tint but I'm nervous I may damage the defroster lines. They seem to be imbedded in the glass but I just want to make sure before I get to work on it. Thanks in advance!

2. The Outcast

The Outcast Formula 3

Apr 19, 2011
    Royal Oak Michigan
    You're OK...just peel it off. Had the same situation with my first 355. No worries.

3. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    dont peel, dont scrape!
    Get a thick black trash bag, and cut it out the size/shape of the rear window. Put some ammonia in a spray bottle and mist the tinted size, then apply the trash bag immediately to keep it from evaporating. Leave the car in the sun and reapply the ammonia every 10-20 minutes. after 30-60mins the tint will almost fall off, and you wont risk damaging the glass.

Qavion likes this.
  4. F1ScuderiaTifosi

Mar 16, 2015
    Hill Country TEXAS
    Full Name:
    JB
    That's a nifty trick! I've heard of using a heat gun to remove the tint but not ammonia and a trash bag. I'm assuming all of the leather trim has to be removed to prevent damage to said leather when applying the ammonia?

And are you implying the defroster lines are on the surface of the glass and not imbedded within the glass?

5. F1ScuderiaTifosi

Mar 16, 2015
    Hill Country TEXAS
    Full Name:
    JB
    So the lines are imbedded in the glass?

6. The Outcast

The Outcast Formula 3

Apr 19, 2011
    Royal Oak Michigan
    Yes. They are not on the surface.

7. The Outcast

The Outcast Formula 3

Apr 19, 2011
    Royal Oak Michigan
    Hit it with a heat gun.

8. F1ScuderiaTifosi

Mar 16, 2015
    Hill Country TEXAS
    Full Name:
    JB
    Thanks for confirming, Outcast. Much appreciated. I'll most likely use a heat gun.