Hypothetical for the forum... | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Hypothetical for the forum...

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by davemqv, Nov 3, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Cleantechnica is not a peer review. They are a biased pro ev not pro reality website. And I don't mean that as harsh as they sound but they do zero on taking a look at battery tech or the industry objectivly.

2. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Planes aren't that bad...it depends on a lot of things.

A long-haul airliner gets on average 80 mpg per seat. If you somehow are on a long-haul flight by yourself than yeah it would be bad, but at max capacity it's pretty good. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel_economy_in_aircraft#Long-haul_flights

For cars, carpooling will beat that figure. If you get 25 mpg and drive alone, the plane will do better than driving. If you carpool with 4 people total, the car will do better. An inter-city bus like Greyhound is better...intra-city is not as all the stop and go really kills it.

The best I think is still rail. CSX gets about 470 miles per gallon per ton. Hard to beat that...very little energy lost to friction on rails and there is no stop and go traffic as everyone else has to stop for you. :) https://www.csx.com/index.cfm/about-us/the-csx-advantage/fuel-efficiency/?mobileFormat=true

Buying an old car is a lot better than new...building a car is very resource intensive. It takes years to create the same carbon footprint in the form of fuel use and maintenance than it did to build the car.

davemqv, anunakki and G. Pepper like this.
  3. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    Not sure where this thread is in relation to the original question at the moment, but when it comes to cars, bikes and planes, for me the noise is a major part of the equation and if that noise was replaced or removed then there is no point in having the experience.

davemqv and daytona355 like this.
  4. rampante550

rampante550 Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2010
    NC
    Full Name:
    D Day
    A

Didn't Enzo say something to the effect - I sell engines, and give the car away for free? I think there was something else about how aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines... So without the engine, what are we talking about? Maybe B is the paperweight :)

Either way, I view B as tantamount to all these movie remakes. Not only would it not hold up to the original, it hurts the legacy of the original. Instead of banning engines, how about we acknowledge the sad practical joke that the electric car push appears to be :)

daytona355 likes this.
  5. Alaman

Alaman Rookie

Sep 24, 2019
    Full Name:
    Carl Randall
    There is not enough electrical grid power in the U.S. to support all cars being electric and having to be charged.

daytona355 likes this.
  6. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I'm now very familiar with the Tesla Model 3 Dual Motor AWD after riding around for over a hundred miles in one that belongs to my BFF (A car guy from way back, who had a Lancia when I had my X1/9 in the 70's). The car is no joke. In fact, it's amazing. His is optimized for range (Well over 300 miles), and it still accelerates quickly enough for me to have said wow out loud, and it corners amazingly well, and almost as level as a billiard table because the CG is lower than ANY ICE car. It borders on the supernatural. It rides kind of like a BMW 5 series, so not a luxe barge either. A very entertaining car to drive through curvy roads (We did the road up to Lake Arrowhead).

An all electric Ferrari would kill every legacy car they've made: AWD, 4WS, and traction control plus torque vectoring for each wheel (Perhaps a motor for each wheel).

Times change. I love the sound of my five valve V8, but the world is moving on from that paradigm.

I'm less interested in a Ferrari hybrid than an all electric one!

Redflash likes this.
  7. kuni12345678

kuni12345678 Rookie

Jan 8, 2016
    I realize that gasoline powered cars will be phased out in the future and driving gasoline cars will only be permitted for special events. I know that most classic car owners only drive their cars to car shows or to car and coffee events and not as daily drivers and that includes me.

8. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    A- leave it as it was and use it at specifically dedicated times.

9. Scott Lively

Scott Lively Rookie

Apr 17, 2018
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Scott L
    Not happening in any of our lifetimes.

daytona355 likes this.
  10. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
  11. POLO35

POLO35 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2005
    Treasure Coast Florida
    Full Name:
    MATT
    Listen to the words of the song Red Barchetta by Rush it speaks exactly of this hypothetical...... for those not familiar the young lad who's Uncle has a farmhouse with a red barchetta in storage and he takes it out and along comes a flying car and they race it's a really cool song.... arguably Rush's best!

Jdubbya and tomc like this.
  12. john a barnes

john a barnes Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2018
    muskego wi
    Full Name:
    John a Barnes
  13. john a barnes

john a barnes Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2018
    muskego wi
    Full Name:
    John a Barnes
    I've been a top shelf tech for 40 years. I've worked on everything. I've seen the evolution of all ICE systems. Including the diesels. I work at home now and I see cars that cannot be repaired with an eye toward value equation. Bad modules and batteries. Communication issues etc. If the engine lite is on it cannot be registered. Pure electric stuff will only kill US productivity regionally. Cold weather will tell everyone how it will REALLY work. I do think about the RUSH song "Red Barchetta" though.

anunakki and rampante550 like this.
  14. POLO35

POLO35 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2005
    Treasure Coast Florida
    Full Name:
    MATT
    I too believe the internal combustion engine will be around for a while what is going to change is the fuel. The most abundant resource on our planet is water. If one could find a cost-efficient way to extract the hydrogen and find a way to have a safe hydrogen fuel cell that would be the solution to our energy problems in Reliance on fossil fuels. Lest us not forget about the Hindenburg!

daytona355 likes this.
  15. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    I have been in a regular base spec Model 3 a colleague at work has. Quite impressive especially the cornering ability. As a daily I am good with the idea of one but I can't really get excited about it.

G. Pepper likes this.
  16. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    I always think of that song when talk of ending or outlawing ICE cars comes around. For me nearly the whole experience is about the sound and smell. I think smell is such a powerful trigger, it's actually one of the things I miss most about not having an old gas guzzling, totally impractical car in the garage. So I guess my answer to the original question would be: If I still owned a Ferrari or get another I'd rather be restricted on when or where I can drive it than convert it to a soulless EV.

17. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Here is another hypothetical...a friend who owned a 308 at the same time as me always said the 308 would be about a perfect car with a hundred more horsepower. Yes at least one 308 has been converted to EV but has anyone thought about making a hybrid by adding electric power? I'm not saying I'd want one but I bet some would.

Oh an here's the Rush song with lyrics in case you haven't heard it, although I don't see how anyone could possibly not have heard the greatest rock band of all time! :)

sammysaber likes this.
  18. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    I guess per the op's initial post A for me.. I would leave the cars as they are.. I do believe if this does happen there would still be driving days or driving ranges available so I would keep my cars as they are maybe even trade a few and then have my electric car also .. would be a sad day for me

19. rampante550

rampante550 Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2010
    NC
    Full Name:
    D Day
    The joke is not any specific electric car, it's the push of electric cars that I'm saying is the practical joke. They are ironically unsustainable (battery impact, power sources, supply chain, subsidies, etc.). Times change, but let's not pretend this is the natural result of a superior technology winning the day. If we removed limitations to design the best vehicle possible, I doubt we'd come up with a 19th century technology that's experienced several cycles of failure already.

Back to the hypothetical - I'm saying option A, because eventually time will pass and the scheme will either collapse on itself or a truly innovative technology will emerge and you'll be glad you have a preserved example of motoring perfection (with what Enzo himself identified as the true heart of his work - the engine). Besides, who would want to put an instagram filter on the Mona Lisa anyway?

20. john a barnes

john a barnes Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2018
    muskego wi
    Full Name:
    John a Barnes
    Yes, supply chain also. China holds all the cards for neodymium.

rampante550 likes this.
  21. FLORIDAsnakeEyes

FLORIDAsnakeEyes Formula 3

Jul 7, 2015
    Sarasota, Florida
    Full Name:
    OC
    None of this is hypothetical once like minded twits like AOC gain control.

Sent from my SM-F900U using Tapatalk

kes7u likes this.
  22. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Please don't bring P&R into this. PLEASE!!!!!!

If you really have to scratch that particular itch, please take it to the appropriate subforum. I'm more interested in the hypothetical question of what fellow car lover would do if they simply couldn't use their ICE cars on the road anymore.

BMW.SauberF1Team likes this.
  23. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    I’ll prob move on to some other hobby by then.
    We’re a long way from realizing electric boats, waverunners etc.

24. SamRo

SamRo Rookie

Dec 17, 2018
    I actually had a deposit down for the electric e-Type. They were going to do it with knackered ones, and apparently you could (if you wanted) replace the ICE engine very easily. Sadly it appears they have cancelled the project and are going to return my deposit. An electric Range Rover is more important (which is fair enough I think).

25. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall