458 challenge exhaust | FerrariChat

458 challenge exhaust

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by fattyk, Nov 5, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fattyk

fattyk Rookie

Mar 30, 2013
    has anyone have any experience in fitting a challenge exhaust onto their 458

I have seen the part. it's basically a straight through pipe (made by tubi) to replace the rear muffler

it certainly looks good with twin tailpipes

how does it sound compared to other exhaust such as tubi, capristo & akrapovic?

does the challenge exhaust give any increase in Hp

thank U for your kind feedback. I am seriously considering to have it on my 458

2. 458trofeo

458trofeo F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2013
    City of Angels
    Full Name:
    101 aki
    #2 458trofeo, Nov 5, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2015
    The 458 challenge exhaust has race cats, no muffler and no exhaust valves.

I do not recommend putting this exhaust on for street use as if a cop stops
    you for excessive noise (it happened to me, I wonder why :D)
    you will not have the option to quiet the exhaust down
    when you bring it in for testing as there will be no mufflers or valves.

Therefore, in order to get the ticket cleared you would have to go thru the
    hassle of putting your stock setup back to clear up the ticket.

Additionally, (as per Graziano the Ferrari Tech God) having no mufflers on the street car might raise issues of excessive heat forming in the
    area of the lower mesh grilles of the street car (as it has a slightly different internal lower diffuser design than the challenge car).

If you want more sound go with an exhaust valve control system, put race cats (200 cell recommended) and run
    an 'anti-CEL' ecu tune (EVOSmit) if you use 100aki fuel or above as you will most likely get a CEL.

Pm me if you have more questions :)

Carnut likes this.
  3. MaseratiCorse

MaseratiCorse Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2014
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Nicholas
    It must be pretty damn loud with the ch. exhaust because your exhaust Carlo is a seriously noisy piece of kit. I watched a couple of videos of her and I'm not sure I could actually handle or want any more noise - and that is just from the sound clips. Any louder and it starts to lose it's tone and crispness IMO.

4. 458trofeo

458trofeo F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2013
    City of Angels
    Full Name:
    101 aki
    Never too loud haha :D you should hear the muffler less race spec 458's and you would change your mind LOL

The only reason I don't go muffler less is because of the risk of excessive heat issues on the back diffuser, and you loose the flexibility of having valves and quieten the noise if desired.

xo

5. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    As the one who recorded sound and video for Carlo's car, let me just tell you its not too loud and it sounds incredible. In other words, its perfect-nirvana-genius-boss all in one. Do it.

6. Roupin

Roupin Formula 3

Oct 7, 2013
    Encino
    Full Name:
    Roupin
    As the one who stood next to the car during said recording, let me tell you I wish both of these guys lived on my street.

:)

7. Stevenb

Stevenb F1 Rookie

Aug 5, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Steven
    There is no such thing as too loud. Not when it comes to engine noise. carlo got his car figured out to the perfect point. always a joy to hear. Looking forward to this Sunday's drive :)

8. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    As Carlo knows quite well, the Challenge exhaust at full throttle and high rpm is 105-107dB.

Honestly, it's pretty damn loud. I'm usually wearing a helmet and custom earplugs when driving...and it's loud inside.

FWIW, there is a silencer kit we install when running at noise-limited tracks, based on testing it really does not effect HP/Torque and only takes the edge off the sound (to around 95dB).

9. mik458spider

mik458spider Formula 3

Jan 13, 2013
    Can the Challenge's exhaust come close the the XX cars for the loudness and quality? I'm turned-on every time I heard the XX cars' sound.

10. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Reviving an old thread to ask if anyone has any info on 458c silencer kits for use on tracks with noise limitations.

11. Yellowgallardo1

Yellowgallardo1 Karting

Sep 19, 2018
    Full Name:
    marcus
    Or does anyone have two challenge mufflers they would make a reasonable deal on?thanks

12. MarkTodd

MarkTodd Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 3, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Ferrari sells a sport muffler with a less restrictive silencer that is street legal. They also have a track only version, but the track version I believe is quieter to meet track noise restrictions.

13. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    What about turn down tips?

14. Suborbital

Suborbital Karting

Apr 25, 2018
    Fallbrook, Ca
    I have the Ferrari performance muffler mentioned above, I get a questions at each cruise from other 458 owners what exhaust I have. It’s louder than stock but not obnoxious. Sounds great!

MarkTodd likes this.
  15. Lovedriving

Lovedriving Karting

Jul 14, 2018
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Eric D'Amours
    What I like is the high pitch F1 like sound of some of the aftermarket exhaust...would the Challenge exhaust get me these high pitch notes?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

16. speapp

speapp Rookie

Apr 8, 2022
    Reviving an old thread but I think I could add to the discussion.

I recently bought the Tubi 458 challenge muffler (269963) for my 458 spider and to my surprise it is actually quieter than the stock one.
    The previous owner bought it and instantly regret it and bough a Fabspeed one instead.
    Since he was selling for half the price it costed new, and the exhaust was so new that wasn't even dirt, I decided to buy it and now that I know that it sounds like crap, I'm gonna "straight pipe" it to see if I can get a better noise. I Bought it because I was looking to have a better sound in low revs and a high pitch at high, but now the car sounds like a 488. o_O
    I can post the end result here if anyone is interested, but it you are thinking in only buying the muffler to get louder, I do not recommend.