Trouble code 1102 | FerrariChat

Trouble code 1102

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by ferraridriver, Sep 16, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #1 ferraridriver, Sep 16, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
    Can anyone confirm Ferrari 550 trouble code P1102, one table I have says it's the upstream O2 sensor bank 1 heater circuit, but I suspect this may be for a different motronic version.

2. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Still having problems, Dave?

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/posts/146602898/

I see you've replaced the sensors. Have you done any wiring checks?

3. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Yeah, I replaced the sensors as a "shotgun" while I was trying to reset the SAP monitor, I'd read they can get "lazy" and not allow that monitor to reset
    In retrospect I now think I had a "lazy" coolant temp probe. Anyway when I replaced the O2 sensors I got a P1102 code, I had wired the bank 1 sensor to the bank 2 connector. I changed then around and everything was OK until last month when I got a CEL with a P1102 code.

Now I'm trying to sort it because that sensor is only about 3 month old and very little mileage.

Maybe I just got a bad one, it was a Bosch 13819 from Amazon.

I can't find anything definitive regarding a P1102 code, I have a 360 code list and that is different from a 430 list so I'm up in the air until someone in the know chimes in. I don't know what to believe when it comes to Ferrari.

I hate the thought of crawling under and removing/replacing the undertray but that may be my only choice.

I've tracked the path in the fuse box (#2 fuse) and it's OK

I wonder if there are connectors in the O2 heater circuit that I can check from above........

4. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Dave on the 575M, it looks like that is the RHB airflow meter. Not sure if they correlate or not.

5. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Yeah, the codes apparently are different for the various Motronic versions. On the 360 list P1102 is the upstream bank 1 O2 sensor heater circuit open. The 430 list shows P1101 as LH-B air flow meter then skips to P1104. No P1102 nor any reference to the RH-B air flow meter.

All of the lists I have seen are unofficial, I'd like to get the real information but I don't know where to ask.

6. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    You may be able to check the heater circuit from the cabin (if you can access the "dashboard connection" near the Motronics ECU and the Motronics ECU plug itself).

The fuse panel supplies power to pin 1 of the right hand "dashboard connection" (277) which feeds the heater then goes to the applicable ECU pins (for the pre and post cat O2 sensor heaters)

Right Bank Engine Management

What resistance values you would look for, I don't know (0ther than matching pre and post cat O2 heater values). And if the code itself doesn't match the right O2 sensor, you'd be wasting your time.

7. robert_fulton

robert_fulton Rookie

Apr 28, 2004
    Oakland, CA
    Full Name:
    Robert Fulton
    For your MY2000 car, OBD codes are standard, and P1102 indicates a MAF sensor issue.
    I had the same on my 98, and cleaning did not clear it. if you try swapping MAF side to side, clear the codes and start the car again you should see the code jump to the other side. I have a good used MAF you can swap in for a test, and am in the bay area (PM if interested)

Qavion likes this.
  8. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I decided to take a look at the MAF sensors based on Robert's input. I found one side had a value of 1 while the other side had a value of 85 or so. I unplugged both sensors several times while cleaning with electrical contact cleaner. Now both side show a value in the 80's to 90's. Both MAF sensors looked real clean on the inside so I suspect a bit of corrosion on the terminals.

I'm still not positively sure about P1102 being a MAF sensor because when I unplugged them I got two different codes when the sensors went to zero.
    Maybe one code is for an open sensor while the other, P1102, is for a low reading. I don't know, I wish someone who has this knowledge would chime in.

I put about 25 miles on with no CEL but now I have to reset all the monitors. Time will tell..............sigh!

9. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Dave- On the P-Code lists you looked at, Ferrari uses a shorthand and only shows the left hand bank to save ink. You interpolate to get the RHB information. P1101 is LHB, P1102 is RHB, etc.

Qavion likes this.
  10. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    OK, here's the truth, I just got off the phone with Brian Crall who looked it up in the book Ferrari gave him at school. He said this is for the 575 which was current when he went to the Ferrari school.

P1102 is Bank 1 (right) o2 sensor heater circuit short to B+

This corresponds with two different files I have.

11. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Dave- Looks like I got that one wrong.

12. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Not necessarily, the list I have for the 430, Motronic 7.1.1 shows P1101 as LH-B Air flow meter, so by your interpolation P1102 should be RH-B Airflow meter

What Brian told me was that Ferrari gave the specs to Bosch to do a Motronic then when Ferrari asked Bosch for the documentation they were told it's proprietary and you don't need to know!!
    Makes for a good story doesn't it :)

13. 15765

15765 Formula Junior

May 14, 2012
    Las Vegas NV
    Full Name:
    Chuck King
    Look at an Audi list, I've found some numbers from Audi work on the 550. I found that by using Audi codes that a number that kept coming up from Ferrari telling me I had problems with my exhaust sensors causing slowdown lights and right bank shutdown. it turned out the engine only needed the throttle control sensors reset. Audi said to hold the accelerator pedal to the floor and turn on the ignition key for a few minutes without starting the engine solved my problem. I don't remember the exact number of minutes or which Audit came it from, possibly an A4. Some of their cars also use the Bosch piece of trash computer.

Chuck

ferraridriver and Qavion like this.
  14. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
  15. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

Dave, were you able to download this list? There seems to be something on that website that prevents the casual user from copying & pasting that list into another document.

16. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Qavion likes this.
  17. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

Thanks, that worked!