Chris Harris: Pista vs Mc 600LT | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Chris Harris: Pista vs Mc 600LT

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by dustman, Nov 5, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    I realize that heritage ( another word for past accomplishments) is of significance to some, my priorities focus on the present. I have no interest in a car that does not excite me and the fact that it is manufactured by a company with a haloed history, does little to alter my sentiment.

2. Newjoint

Newjoint Formula 3

Jan 17, 2016
    Heritage or history may mean little to some but those who ignore it are bound to repeat it. FERRARI has been at this longer than most supercar makers and yes they have had some real clunkers in the past but they learned and rarely produce clunkers today. McLaren may be an innovative company that has disrupted the supercar game but some of their mistakes are those of novices in the street supercar game which have left many recent customers disgruntled particularly when it comes to turnover and residual values. Kind of reminds me of early adopters of technology or beta users- exciting stuff to use but with problems yet to be discovered and obsolescence built in to the mix- next greatest thing please. Make no mistake-McLaren is playing for keeps and has moved along the steep learning curve at an amazing clip.
    But don’t underestimate FERRARI- they have heritage nee history on their side- at least when it comes to street cars

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  3. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    For me, history plays a huge part in appreciating the car I am driving. I see it as me being part of something larger than "just the product." I adored Ferrari's when I was young, and never dreamed that I would actually own one; and now I smile when I am driving mine down some winding road on a beautiful sunny day. I have read numerous books about Enzo and other important people at Ferrari, and I have visited the Factory, which gives me a sense of the people and the birthplace of these magnificent cars. I have watched countless F1 races (both on TV and live in the V10 era) and admired Schumacher screaming down the track with enormous Ferrari flags waving in the background.
    Ferrari is magic.
    Oddly enough, the individual car is only a part of the experience.
    I am not a race-car driver, no racing team is watching me and contemplating signing me up to be a driver, my friends won't admire me more if I shaved 2 sec off my time at Sebring, my Wife certainly doesn't give a damn, you don't give a damn how fast I am my fellow Ferraristi....so why should I care if with car "A" I can squeeze out a little more performance than car "B" on a track?

4. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Being an actual owner of both brands , I read some of these posts and just laugh. What’s with the blind allegiance with some of you guys? As if every single one of these manufacturers wouldn’t screw tou over to make an extra nickel.

Ferrari is great.
    Mclaren is great.
    Porsche is great.

Some of these posts read as if they are from the pr departments of the companies.

Each brand has its warts and each brand has its accolades. Just enjoy the cars for what they are- tremendous driving experience.

5. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Totally agree. I would add that “Lamborghini is great.”

6. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #31 Shadowfax, Nov 7, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
    I'm not driving a history book.....the car needs to deliver especially when it's more expensive.
    In this case I prefer the Pista but the other one represents better value on the scale of performance.

And so much for the cheating argument...https://wwos.nine.com.au/motorsport/f1-2019-toto-wolff-ferrari-fuel-flow-clarification-cheating/f50bf961-7ef9-4539-a94b-cc768f8adf9c

Seems to be a case where both are as bad as one another in this area. It's really only becomes a matter of who gets caught.

And looking at actual race wins it appears Porsche is a long way ahead of the game.

7. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    It's only great since Audi bought them out - before that not so great.

FordGTDriver likes this.
  8. Clembo

Clembo Formula Junior

So - are we not allowed to have passion for anything other than lap times? Can't some of us also celebrate heritage and other factors?

The Post from the guy acknowledged how great a McLaren may be, but he simply stated that other things were as important or more so to him than just performance. What is wrong with that?

Very few of us on this forum will be capable of getting anywhere near the final 5% of performance from any of these cars. They are better than we are as drivers. They are all great.

But each of us choose for different reasons. Even if many of us choose multiple brands at the same time (I do). Can't we still appreciate why we love Ferrari for more than just a lap time?

jpalmito and italiafan like this.
  9. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #34 Shadowfax, Nov 7, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
    I don't think anyone is denying anyone of celebrating a given brand heritage but keep in mind there are some who don't appreciate driving in a dust cloud behind other marques of lesser heritage. And then there is the paying a lot more to buy one only to then take an equal or larger hit as the lesser priced (yet equally or better performing) brand of (claimed) inferior heritage. The game has changed.

Ferrari has a lot of history and Heritage as does Porsche, and it's a nice thought owning and driving these cars knowing the Heritage has actually held true to name against brands of lesser heritage. These days it seems Heritage is becoming less important than what it was and other elements are taking priority such as performance, appearance, reliability, features, buy price and resale values etc. There is also lot more choice nowadays. Heritage has been officially put on notice!

10. stan996turbo

stan996turbo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Stan
    I’m sorry but that’s patently false, I’m 6’3” and 215lbs and fit perfectly in my 675 with touring carbon bucket seats even with a helmet on.

SoCal to az likes this.
  11. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    I'd agree with this. When I tracked the 600 i had no headroom issues at all (i'm 6') although I did find the standard buckets were far too snug on the swab and i'm narrow around the waist/hips. Fwiw I felt the 600 had better head room than 488 with race seats. I don't think 488 is very generous in that area at all. The P car is much better in the headroom and helmet on than both...plenty of head room.

of2worlds likes this.
  12. ChadR

ChadR Karting

Jun 19, 2019
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Taj B
    Nice video.

13. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Celebrate a brand without denigrating another. Not a hard concept.

jpalmito, Dicecal and Thecadster like this.
  14. stan996turbo

stan996turbo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Stan
    We’re living through a time of astonishing technological developments in sports cars, but I personally feel that we have past the point where the special cars we aspire to live up to the hype. Sure they’re technologically advanced but they no longer feel like the truly bespoke, imperfect but soulful cars that you can connect to on an emotional level. The famous marque’s(Ferrari, Porsche, Lamborghini, Aston Martin etc.) are now designed by marketing departments of huge corporations to be just another luxury accessory for the super rich. The one benefit of not being attracted to new cars and just holding on to the older cars I have I’m losing less money in depreciation.

15. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    Except Lambo, if you are 6'3" and above.

16. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Hahaha. I’m 6’6” and I absolutely love my Huracan Performante...

Coincid and of2worlds like this.
  17. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    How do you manage it? Is it spyder?

Thecadster likes this.
  18. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Coupe. It’s not easy. I bring the seat forward 2 inches and exaggerate the rake backwards. My knees fit on either side of the steering wheel, more or less. I also slump in the seat slightly and my head drags along the ceiling. It kind of sucks, but the banshee wail of the NA V10 makes it all worthwhile. It’s pure comedy watching me get in and out. By the way, this only works with comfort seats as the race seats have a fixed incline.

Shadowfax likes this.
  19. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I’m 6,4”. Could not get comfy in a lambo. Would have loved to own a Perf.

Thecadster likes this.
  20. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    I recall seeing a rather tall largish guy on a group drive a while back get into his Perf and I thought to myself boy I'm sure glad it's him and not me lol. It was a fairly long drive too! Given the population is clearly getting taller by the generation the manufacturers really need to work on getting the ergonomics in order as a matter of priority or most are not going to be able to fit in soon.

Thecadster likes this.
  21. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    I’m about 6 2 and didn’t fit in perf spyder!
    Coupe I did ok esp with race seats.
    Didn’t stop me from putting 3,000 miles on spyder.

22. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    I struggled at 6' to get the right seating position but a mate of mine who is I think 5'7 or something like that owns a Perf and says it isn't an issue for him. He was saying the race buckets give a bit more head room but I haven't tried them out yet. Be interested to see.

PS. So Dusty are you saying even in race seats at 6'2'' it still isn't great? How do you think 6' would work? Or would I still have to lay the seat back? Is there more or less headroom in a spyder in your experience?

23. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    How can you even fit in? I tried the HP spider because in regular HP I hit the top of my head going over the bump. In the spider, a top quarter of my face is above the windshield...so I just gave up.

24. Big A

Big A Karting

Jan 21, 2015
    Australia
    6’ and fit reasonably well into a HP coupe with comfort seats. Could use a little more room but overall works well. Find the head room fine but I do bring the seat forward so I can drop the back down a little. Or else I find my line of sight is to high up the windscreen.
    I found the fixed bucket seats an absolute punishment to sit in. Way to upright.

25. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Agreed. The value for money factor argument is a dead end road though, as in the end the best VfM sporty car is a 20k Fiesta ST...

There has been a furore in the F1 world about this. The FIA has not deemed Ferrari's PU illegal and it is only their competitors that make these silly comments, as they are unable to match Maranello's power!!!

In which disciplines? Certainly not in F1, or the WEC-GT3 categories they are concurrently competing in.