355 - How to gain alil more hp on f355? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

355 How to gain alil more hp on f355?

Discussion in '348/355' started by Filippo7673, Oct 27, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Filippo7673

Filippo7673 Rookie

May 19, 2013
    New York
    Full Name:
    Filippo Barone
    Ty everyone. Deff dont want to sell thou lol. Car is beautiful and handles amazing. I guess it is what it is. Jeff ty will ask my ferrari guy if he can preform what u said

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    My most sincere opinion on best bang for the buck in performance

Really take the time to get to the track and learn how to drive the car. You would be amazed how much more performance you will get out of it.

Unless you want to brag 0-60 with all the ricers LOL

XO

Image Unavailable, Please Login

308 GTB, F129b, malex and 2 others like this.
  3. jeffdavison

jeffdavison F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2002
    Suwanee Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Davison
    Read the entire thread.... worth the read, learn from myself and others. This will definitely help understanding how it works and what it does.

4. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    I have a matched pair of still sealed 2.7 challenge ecu which should release a few more ponies if anyone is in need.

5. Tifosi Dude

Tifosi Dude Karting

Dec 16, 2018
    Full Name:
    Ata Orkun Oguz
    Guys, is there anything to gain from head work in F355? I don't think Ferrari left much on the table.

6. F355Bob

F355Bob Formula 3

Yes I had my heads ported. Needed to recalibrate the computers on a dyno.

7. F355Bob

F355Bob Formula 3

Stock heads flowed 218.5 cfm

Ported heads flowed 232.5cfm

8. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    ^ Bob did you flow the exhaust side as well? Stock valve sizes?

9. F355Bob

F355Bob Formula 3

stock valves. I don't have numbers for the exhaust. Gary Sharpe did it 10 years ago so don't remember. It is the only thing he did right on my engine. The Challenge engine builder that did my motor 2 years ago was impressed with the porting and thought it was done very well.

INTMD8 likes this.
  10. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    Need some ported ITB's to go with those heads. I think then it may need cams to really take full advantage

11. Tifosi Dude

Tifosi Dude Karting

Dec 16, 2018
    Full Name:
    Ata Orkun Oguz
    Thank you for information Bob

12. Tifosi Dude

Tifosi Dude Karting

Dec 16, 2018
    Full Name:
    Ata Orkun Oguz
    As I know Toda makes the only aftermarket cams for F355. And probably they won't sell them without the stroker kit.

13. F355Bob

F355Bob Formula 3

I think what we really want is more torque. You can gain 40 rwhp but it will be expensive to do. I think throttle response improvement and better midrange power will make the 355 faster . Let's face it, we are usually driving in the 2500 to 6500 rpm range. I put Bruce Wright' s smaller diameter headers and Goths exhaust and that really helped midrange. The Gruppe M also gives more torque in the midrange about 15 Ftlb as Atul posted in his dyno sheets. Also, advancing ignition timing 6 degrees and changing fuel trim also helps throttle response a lot. Drives like a different car. Much more power and response in the rpm where at least I drive. I think Jeff's COP would also help since the spark on these cars is so weak. MSD doubles the power of the spark and I think would improve throttle response and maybe also allow an increase in fuel with a good burn. Ferrari did leave a lot on the table as far as increasing braking, handling, and power. Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

INTMD8 likes this.
  14. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Cat cams makes cams for the F355 as well.

Bob, just a matter of preference. Anything I do will be to increase high rpm peak horsepower. (just my preference on this car)

15. F355Bob

F355Bob Formula 3

I do a lot of street driving and commuting with the car so I like good midrange. You're right personal preference and how and where you drive. Although with a greatly improved midrange still get 324rwhp at 8000rom on a Mustang dyno! Best of both worlds

Nur964 likes this.
  16. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee

Thats a nice cam for road racing they make. Totally forgot about it. I may order it with the required goodies. I have a spare motor and 2 sets of heads.
    Need to start playing again. That would really light up the 348 :)

17. Jackie and bill

Jackie and bill Formula Junior

Nov 29, 2014
    GB
    Full Name:
    William
    Oh, never really heard of cat camshafts. Has any one got a link to them please?

18. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    Jackie and bill likes this.
  19. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    They have a few different versions. Have them saved along with dyno results. I’ll look for it tomorrow :)

Tifosi Dude and SoCal1 like this.
  20. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    Thank you
    Would you have pricing also?

Jackie and bill likes this.
  21. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL

I have all info and pricing but may have changed from a couple of years ago. I’ll post everything I have tomorrow.

SoCal1 likes this.
  22. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    This was the info from them. At the time I asked (2 years ago) the cams were just under 3k usd for the set.

We only have dyno data if our customers give them to us.
    But our engineer let me know that we received them for the F355

So i am trying to give you enough info to work with.
    In attachment you find 2 pictures of dyno result from a customer that fitted our 1701102.
    This are the pics that is comparing the stock cams of that engine with our catcams.
    The data of the 1701102 are attached.

Another guy that fitted our 1701101 give some feed back.
    - solid follower conversion
    - lash cap thickness +/- 4.5mm. The caps he received from another supplier had a 3mm centering edge around the valve which he needed to modify for clearance to the valve locks, but ours are 2.5mm so they will most probably fit perfectly.
    - he used original valve springs, however based on the datasheet of another customer that could be that yours can be only 0.2mm from coil block (intake only). I suggest to have a look at the intake spring seat and grind off 0.5mm or (if possible). Maybe he did as well and forgot to tell me.
    - he used new pistons because the bore was increased from 85mm to 88mm (3.8L)
    - final result was 495hp at 9000rpm (full race trim)

Basically, the only problem they had when fitting the cams was the fact they needed to machine the cylinder head to clearance the larger cam. Apparently, you get really close to the spark plug seal, which they removed and used loctite instead.
    Therefor we created the 1701102 witch have a reduced lift that eliminates the need to modify the retainers and (excessive) clearancing of the head around the cam lobes.

If you want to go for the higher lift you need to make adjustments. you can do this by modifies the lower retainer or replace the upper retainer by a retainer that gives you 0.5 mm extra.
    You always have to check the clearance between the valve seal and the bottom of the spring retainer, clearance should preferably be 0.5mm at maximum valve lift. This could also be a reason to go for the lower lift version.

Please take your time to consider en check all the remarks.
    Also keep in mind that this is feed back from customers and nothing we measured ourselves.
    So you always have to see what is possible in your engine and check if everything has enough clearance to work correct.

For the mechanical conversion you can use our CC018 followers together wit our lash caps TS101 We have them in different thickness but they are not always all in stock.
    So for that is is nice for us to know if you are able to grind them yourself to the correct thickness so we can give you in case we run out of stock a bigger one then you are asking for.

Beside that we also have part number 1701103 that is for hydro followers.
    That is having the same specs as the mechanical 1701102 but for Hydro followers.
    Normally this is plug and play like we say.
    But same like the other you have to check clearance the moment you are assemble the engine

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Tifosi Dude and SoCal1 like this.
  23. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Webcams can make what you need, they have 308 and Testarosa and a few others but they make what ever you want as long as you supply the specs.
    http://www.webcamshafts.com/

Just a thought.

24. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    My previous experience was with SBC and LS Motors. Cam swaps were plentiful, easy and quick, a total contrast to the 355.
    It's understandable why no vendor has really address that market, the cost of R&D would be outrageous. On a LS motor, a shop could test/dyno multiple cam setups on a single car several times in one day.
    Unless somebody has a 355 on a stand with an engine Dyno, it's not at all feasible.
    Having said all that, I wonder how much Ferrari left in these cams for a gain? I wouldn't think much, he probably get the biggest benefit from porting the heads like 355 Bob's car
    Lastly, I would not get rid of the hydraulic lifters in favor of a solid lifter. That's a lot of periodic adjustments that are by Nature not easy in the 355 LOL