488 Pista Spider Picture Thread | Page 37 | FerrariChat

488 Pista Spider Picture Thread

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Lukeylikey, Aug 17, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
  2. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Awesome, and the list goes on and on . Great to see aluminium calipers :)

3. Scraggy

Scraggy Formula 3

Apr 2, 2012
    England
    Full Name:
    Scraggy
    Have tried so so hard to avoid being a last of the naturally aspirated bore but having just taken my beautiful 488 PS out I am SO disappointed with the sound track.

I am baffled why F can’t do better the LT Macs are so exciting.

I missed the whole normal 488 series (after an extensive test drive) for this reason and feel really despondent (first world problem of course).

The car is very fast, handles beautifully and looks stunning and the drivetrain is almost lacking lag but I just can’t see past the noise aspect, at all revs.

of2worlds likes this.
  4. leopoldo

leopoldo Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2013
    Full Name:
    mark1
    i am sorry, do you mean 488 standard series has a more engaging sound of pista’s?

5. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    Bummer
    I would have expected the drop top to sound superior
    Is the sub-par sound enough of a distraction to negate all the positives you appreciate? Deal-breaker or disappointing?

6. Scraggy

Scraggy Formula 3

Apr 2, 2012
    England
    Full Name:
    Scraggy
    Just feel that they could have dialled in ore excitement aurally even if a bit fake, Mac seem very good at that my LT even spat flames. Don’t want tacky I know but it feels a bit “grown up” but more exhaust crackle than the 488 standard as I recall.

7. leopoldo

leopoldo Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2013
    Full Name:
    mark1
    many people say after 1000 miles the sound will change .. hope this is thrue

8. Scraggy

Scraggy Formula 3

Apr 2, 2012
    England
    Full Name:
    Scraggy
    I heard about that, cant see any basis in science and that will take me two years !

9. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Disappointing to hear your experience (pun intended).

If you had to order all over again, would the anemic sound be a dealbreaker? It would be for me.

10. leopoldo

leopoldo Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2013
    Full Name:
    mark1
    ahahhaha

11. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #913 Shadowfax, Nov 8, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2019

I found the inside sound initially disappointing as well but you will find the problem is mainly due to the valves closing upon each throttle lift off which pretty well knocks out any engine sound on the inside. Since fitting Forza's latest Pista valve controller system that particular problem has thankfully been resolved. With valves open the inside cabin sound is now where I expected it to be for this type of GT car. Prior too it was like a Lexus without sound deadening on the inside....you couldn't hear the engine. The controller makes quite a difference to the enjoyment of the car especially when trundling around in traffic or at lower speeds in a mainly off throttle situation. Its amazing how such a small change can make a difference that counts where its needed.

Since putting some miles on the car i'm finding it is sounding even better/louder but I do still find myself reaching for the valve controller a lot when I'm not consistently on the throttle during sporty type driving. I'm very happy with mine now. I also know a member on here who has fitted a full Kline system and he is very impressed with it, so my thoughts are if you are looking to max it out add the forza to the Kline and you will be very hard pressed criticizing the sound again. It sounds very tough.

Those who've driven behind or around me say mine sounds very good on the outside...so its somewhat comforting to know the car is sounding right on that front. I found the lack of engine sound in the cabin is primarily due to the road noise intrusion which can overtake the engine note when the valves are closed and can become even worse depending upon the road surface. This is where Forza's unit shines but then it's also great having the option of switching things back as on a longer run the volume can need some taming down on occasion (I've found lately).

Personally I think you are jumping to conclusions a little too early in the piece but I do get you as I also found the initial experience quite disappointing for a 700hp special car. So yes on that note I would wholeheartedly agree with you that Ferrari really should try a lot harder in future although as their line up is heading hybrid it doesn't bode well for the brand overall. What really blows me is how Porsche has made their Gt cars sound so amazing (GT2 in particular being a turbo 6) and still provides a non hybrid line up yet Ferrari has gone the opposite direction and on top of that have toned the sound down even further and, making it impossible to fix the lack of sound. Crazy.

12. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    I'm not sure if it is the sound that gets a bit louder with mileage or whether it's just the ears re-adjusting but I would agree it does seem better than when I picked the car up. Currently I'm finding the sound where I would expect it to be for this type of car but in saying that a few tweaks are still needed IMHO. I guess the upside with Pista is we still have the opportunity to amp the sound up relatively easily and inexpensively whereas with F8 the cure is looking to be an expensive exercise if even possible. Time will tell but it doesn't look good at this stage.

of2worlds and Caeruleus11 like this.
  13. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Is the car brand new? I was initially a bit let down with the sound on my coupe but I was told the exhaust would break in after about 100 or so miles- and it did! It won't ever scream like NA, but it makes a very purposeful and, I I think very, delicious sound. Give the sound a little time.

Bundy, of2worlds and Shadowfax like this.
  14. Scraggy

Scraggy Formula 3

Apr 2, 2012
    England
    Full Name:
    Scraggy
    Maybe

15. Scraggy

Scraggy Formula 3

Apr 2, 2012
    England
    Full Name:
    Scraggy
    I am encouraged that I am not imagining this. I have been told by the Tech Manager at the AD that it will get better.

of2worlds and Caeruleus11 like this.
  16. Scraggy

Scraggy Formula 3

Apr 2, 2012
    England
    Full Name:
    Scraggy
    So helpful and informative could you please PM me with what you are recommending as it sounds very helpful to the experience but I don’t understand the products you are referring to !

17. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Again, I hear you with that remark. Had I not owned other cars which sounded great and driven utterly amazingly I may not have had that same thought but I did have it initially. Now after a couple of months and some kms I'm feeling fine and am rather enjoying the car. My best advice is to settle back, relax, run 1000 up on it and then make a call. Agree with what Caeruleus11 says totally. Will PM you the detail shortly.

Caeruleus11 and of2worlds like this.
  18. Ray Schumi

Ray Schumi Karting

Aug 12, 2018
    Full Name:
    Ray Ch.
    Please PM for me, too!

Gesendet von iPhone mit FerrariChat

of2worlds likes this.
  19. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    I'm not surprised. I'd be disappointed as well.

20. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Guys after now having 800 miles on my car, I can tell you it is really incredible and, I wouldn't have believed this, but I dont miss driving my 458 at all. And it is still in my garage, not going anywhere, but the Pista- wow! It is perfect. I think we are so conditioned to think the factory has to make too many compromises for exhaust. Some of that will be personal preferences, but I think the car is perfect straight out of the box. I don't think the Pista is the kind of car you can drive for 5 minutes and declare its the best car ever! Especially when new. Once you drive it for a bit and bond with it, you will understand better what I'm getting on about.

21. leopoldo

leopoldo Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2013
    Full Name:
    mark1
    Thanks ! but technically speaking why a car should change its sound after some miles ? Anyone have an answer?

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  22. JackCongo

JackCongo Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 22, 2006
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    I understand that you had a 458 SA and moved to the pista spider

I am going the same way as I just sold my 458sa and should receive my pista spider beginning of next year.

It was a tough and painful decision to let the aperta go, but a 812 gts is also on its way and at some point there is a need to make some space in a garage for new comers...

Can I ask you if you would say you’re happy with that move or do you have any regret?

Thanks

Jacques

23. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Certain membranes get burned and that's where that smell comes from.