16" Dino Wheels Cromodora Design from Superformance | Page 3 | FerrariChat

16" Dino Wheels Cromodora Design from Superformance

Discussion in '206/246' started by Dino Club Germany, May 16, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Longstone Tyres

Longstone Tyres Formula 3
    Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    #51 Longstone Tyres, Mar 18, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
  2. Longstone Tyres

Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
  3. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    Presumably these are now available through Kevin O'Rourke (Mototechnique / Telaio).

4. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    The ones he made were 17”. I think there would be a good market for a 16” version.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    Freeman, you have seen that car - what do you make of the headlamp covers? Mine has covers, and the idea of covers that don't let in soapy water every time I wash the car is very appealing.

6. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    The idea is good but the shape/curvature is wrong. These are really flat. The shape should be like Brandoli’s. You’ll always get condensation no matter how well you seal it. I would work out a quick and easy to remove system to clean and reinstall.

7. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    John, is Kevin related to Robert O’Rourke of Coachtrimmers?

8. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    Robert, a.k.a. Rorky, is Kevin's son.

Jack-the-lad likes this.
  9. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Thanks, John. I visited Coachtrimmers a couple of years ago. It’s a very nice crew and the work is impeccable.

10. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    I am not so sure that the curvature of the headlamp covers is straightforward, and I guess this comes from the fact that they were not factory-supplied in the first instance.

The covers on mine (which may or may not be "original" - they are listed on Maranello's original invoice, so they could well be the set with which the car came, back in 1973) are "flatter" than those in your photos. I have also looked at photos in contemporary UK road tests and they appear to be "flat", too. They certainly look more like the shape of the covers on my car / the Mototechnique version, than the ones in your photo of the red car above.

By "flat", I mean that if you take a line from bottom front to top rear of the covers in a profile photo of the car, it is almost a straight line.

My car:

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Yes, when you look at Maranello Concessionaire’s covers, you can see they were made from flat plexiglass sheet. I believe the original covers were “design intent” when you look at the early blueprint and see how it continues the curvature of the fender. In 1968, the US regulations changed to not allow covers. Most manufacturers eliminated covers. I believe Scaglietti developed and offered the covers originally and then Brandoli took them over. Hopefully Matthias or Marcel can confirm and/or add to this. The covers are handed left and right (mirrored) as to the nuances of the left and right fenders.

12. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    I wonder who made the covers that Maranello fitted? And were covers commonly fitted in countries other than the UK?

13. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    #64 4CamGT, Nov 13, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
    The ones by Maranello Concessionaires seemed simple to create by just heating and rolling the flat plexi over a cylinder shape. I wouldn’t be surprised if they were made in house or locally. The ones by Scaglietti/Brandoli are more complex and are drape formed. Maybe Matthias or Marcel could chime in?

14. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    The aero testing prototypes had covers installed

Shawn

15. Longstone Tyres

Sponsor