Drove the F8 today and placed my order! | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Drove the F8 today and placed my order!

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by buddyg, Nov 8, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. David Richardson

Mar 10, 2018
    Full Name:
    David R
    Congrats! I placed my order and configured my F8 last April with Cauley after they sold my 2015 458 Spider.....I went with Rosso Corsa, Cuoio Daytona seats...Tom is an excellent rep .....I flew in and Tom and the owners helped me with my configuration...really top shelf service....hopefully my car will arrive March/April 2020!

daytona355 and of2worlds like this.
  2. 338Lapua

338Lapua Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2015
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tony
    #27 338Lapua, Nov 8, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
    I don't want to steal Buddy's thunder but I drove the car right after he was done. Here are my impressions -

- Looks much better in person, especially the rear of the car. The angle of the rear tailights with the large spoiler is a great design. The engine cover is very fitting for the car and the look is spot on.
    - I think silver colors are REALLY nice on this car and show the lines superbly
    - Interior is very familiar even coming from a 458 as I am. Controls are intuitive and as expected, the graphics are much better on each of the screens
    - The view of the instrument cluster is nice as it seems to be more "open" through the steering wheel
    - I was surprised as the amount of bite the brakes had even when cold.
    - The tech fabric on the A pillars and roof have to go. Would have been much better in alcantara or leather. Obviously this is an option but it is my observation on this particular car
    - Acceleration is fantastic and lots of mid range grunt as expected
    - Very "tight" feeling car although when you have "bumpy road" activated, the ride is VERY similar to my 458 Spider
    - Shifts were very smooth and during torque transients, there was no jerkiness or abrupt clutch engagements when you changed gears. A torque transient would be a situation when you accelerate hard and then lift your foot off the throttle then execute an upshift or downshift. This is only one example of many type of maneuvers that cause the engine and trans to be "tricked" into thinking the torque is higher than it actually is. Hence what you are doing is executing a shift during the change in torque and the calibration will call for certain parameters which can result in a harsh shift
    - Sound - Well I'm going to get criticized for sure but it was VERY disappointing. The sound was OK from a tone perspective but it was extremely subdued. So much so that I couldn't even get a burble or crackle when doing aggressive downshifts. Got it, the turbos will do that and I understand. The best way to describe it (for me anyway) is there was no "giggle" factor. The car delivers the speed but it's like a...Tesla (flame suit on). Sure its fast but it's missing exciting one of your senses. The 458 isn't as fast but when you first start out, it has this undertone that tells you it 's going to get real "angry" when you step on it. And when you do the car wakes up and barks, growls, spits and yells as though its asking for more. And you push it harder just to hear it yell louder. Then you laugh....

In the end the F8 is tight, looks great, accelerates and pulls hard but I can't give up my 458 for it. For me, part of the experience is making the car bark and growl. If I was just coming into Ferrari and and had no other Ferrari to compare it to, I'm sure that this wouldn't even cross my mind.

So there is my opinion and my opinion only. Call me a turbo hater, poser or whatever else you want, but the 458 will be with me a little longer. Hopefully an F12 will accompany it in the future.

3. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    Tom is top shelf - even remotely!

Congrats on your spec. I have no idea when mine is coming. Did it last year when they announced ....

4. Texas2step

Texas2step Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2018
    Full Name:
    Bola olusola
    Thanks for sharing. No one can fault you for your opinion. It is not fair to compare F8 sound to 458 for obvious reasons. I am looking forward to sound comparisons to 488 to see the effects of the GPF

5. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    daytona355 likes this.
  6. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Very good review and yes I love the F1 sound of my 458 that will be sorely missed. I just think everything else is so much better I can live with the sound. Maybe aftermarket exhausts will help?

7. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    What did yours price out at?

8. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    Well I'm sure you (and dealer) are very happy.

Enjoy.

IloveGT likes this.
  9. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    I’m really a spider guy but that Lexan cover showing the gorgeous engine is going to get my vote this time.

10. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Thanks for posting. Congratulations on your purchase. Looks stunning in silver.

11. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    Wow...for real?

12. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Honest review. For some of us, the aural thrill is integral to the driving experience. Dont think I could give up my Huracan and its soundtrack for an F8 but maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised like Buddy.

In your video it does look nice.

Thecadster likes this.
  13. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Love it but imo no one can use that much power anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. D11

D11 Karting

Sep 26, 2010
    Beautiful spec, congrats. I’m considering adding an F8 once I’ve enjoyed my 488 a little longer. The debate of Coupe versus Spider is tough on this one.

15. 338Lapua

338Lapua Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2015
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tony
    My comment was referring to the sound "experience" (I took your comment as though I was referring to acceleration). The Tesla is real quick but it does it with a lot less fanfare then other ICE cars and that is how I viewed the F8.

16. 338Lapua

338Lapua Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2015
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tony
    If I had my 430 or something older that is on a different platform than my 458 (which is obviously the same platform as the F8), then I'm sure my thoughts would be different and I would order an F8.

Surfah likes this.
  17. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    I have never driven a Tesla so I can’t compare it to a Tesla. However I don’t feel the experience was that subdued. Of course I was getting the car a little sideways and squealing tires so it could’ve been a different driving experience for me.

18. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    Post deleted. I had cough medicine last night and probably shouldn’t be posting!

Have fun!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

19. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    The Tesla is a hoot to drive for entirely different reasons! Not to get P&R, but I have my NRA decal on ours, and may have a “Fueled by Natural Gas” decal made... ;)

VAF84 likes this.
  20. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    This is why I have not ordered my F8 yet and am looking seriously at the 812 GTB.

21. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    812 is completely different driving experience. That V12 is amazing!!!

tickerhound likes this.
  22. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    And above all, thank you for your review.

23. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    They had an 812 in the showroom pretty car, I think the sticker was $439,000.

24. Art138

Art138 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Ft. Lauderdale
    What was MSRP on the CF Engine Covers....in my case I am at 365.000 (all leather inside but all carbon exterior) but feel I need to add the CF engine covers.

25. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    They are suppose to email me the price for my car, don’t know yet.

Thecadster and IloveGT like this.