Sissor Lifts | FerrariChat

Sissor Lifts

Discussion in '308/328' started by redqv, Dec 5, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. redqv

redqv Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 26, 2015
    Almost Oregon, California
    Full Name:
    Ron Stevens
    I'm sorry to bring this up again, but I searched past Threads and didn't find my answer. I am seriously considering purchasing a "QuickJack" system and wonder if any of you have one, and if so, what model? Before anyone tells me to get a 2 post lift, lets just say it's not in the cards. I have used my own home built wooden ramp system for years which gets to car up in the air 18" - just enough to crawl around under. But I want to do some suspension work this winter and of course all the wheels will want to be off at the same time. The QuickJack looks like the best bet, but I'm unsure what length I'll need to hit the right lifting points on my '85 308.

2. sltillim

sltillim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2009
    San Diego
    I would imagine any of the quickjack sizes would work. you would just need a rubber block / hockey puck to correctly interface with your jack points....

3. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    I bought a Bendpak mid rise lift years ago. It works great for mid engine cars.
    I used it on my Dino 246, Testarossa, and multiple 308s.
    https://www.bendpak.com/car-lifts/mid-rise-scissor-lifts/md-6xp/

I sit in my chair as I worked on my brakes, suspension, front of the motor, change out clutch, remove engine fans, etc.

4. Cuddy K

Cuddy K Karting

Oct 30, 2017
    Full Name:
    Ian Karr
    I have the quickjack 5000 XLS and it works nicely. The challenge is that the quicjack frames must be kept parallel, but the lifting points at the engine frame and front frame on the car form somewhat of a V. I split the difference and put the forward block on the angled frame behind the front wheel, and the rear as far back as I can get while still landing on a frame member. My car is also an 85 QV. Hope this helps!

waymar likes this.
  5. Pero

Pero Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 22, 2011
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Peter R
    I have a Q-J that I have used on a Mondial. Very pleased. Bought it with the 12V kompressor, very handy. Thought it might be a bit slow with 12V but was surprised how fast it works.
    /Peter

6. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

I did similar when I got mine a week ago. But at those points the car is very unstable. I lifted half way to the first lock point and pushed down on the rear bumper. The Quickjack frames actually raised up off the garage floor. So I flipped them around so the ramp part with the warning stickers is facing the rear of the car.This allows you to place the blocks further back towards the engine and the factory jack point. Now the lift is very stable. I haven't had the balls yet to raise to the highest lift lock.

7. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
  8. dinoart

dinoart Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 30, 2004
    Westminster CA
    Full Name:
    David
    The lift is on sale $100 at Costco.com 12/5 to 12/11 for under $1000

Image Unavailable, Please Login

★★★★★★★★★★4.4 out of 5 stars. Read reviews.

(47)

Item 1268102

Online Price1,099.99$

Less100.00$-
    Your Price
    999.99$
    $999.99 After $100 OFF

$100 manufacturer's savings** is valid 12/5/18 through 12/11/18. While supplies last.

Shipping & Handling Included*

Features:
    • 5,000-lb. Capacity - Per Pair
    • Remote Pendant Controlled
    • Dual Locking Positions: Mid-Rise and Full-Rise
    • Hydraulic Flow Divider for Precise, Equalized Lifting
    • Strong, 14-gauge Welded Steel Frames

• Qty

The estimated delivery time will be approximately 5 - 7 business days from the time of order.

9. redqv

redqv Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 26, 2015
    Almost Oregon, California
    Full Name:
    Ron Stevens
    Thank you all for the great help, and especially Mike for the Costco tip. I just place the order with Costco. Hopefully I’ll make it down to Pasadena this next year, and with new suspension!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

miketuason likes this.
  10. ilappassionatodicavallino

Nov 2, 2016
    Texas
    I bought the QuickJack BL-7000SLX Car Lift, the SLX Frame Extension Kit, and the SUV and Light Truck Adapter Kit in August of this year. So far I have used it with my 2006 F430, 2005 Acura TL, 2005 Chevrolet 2500HD Crew Cab Pickup and 2013 Infiniti G37 Coupe. I do all routine maintenance on all of my equipment. I have also used the lift to perform maintenance on my John Deere 5403 Tractor, Bush Hog 297 Rotary Cutter (I'm a farmer, by the way) and a Cub Cadet GT1500 Lawn Tractor. The lift performs as advertised with all of these vehicles. Having worked as an technician on high performance military aircraft for over forty years, I am no stranger to maintenance operations.

I recommend this lift to any owner who enjoys turning his own wrenches.

11. Cuddy K

Cuddy K Karting

Oct 30, 2017
    Full Name:
    Ian Karr
    I orient mine the same way...stickers facing rear. So do you just place the rear block on the frame and let the front fall as far foward as possible?

12. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ

Rear block at the steel triangle near the factory jack point, then the front block on the angled frame member that runs to the main straight frame.

13. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    If you can swing the couple bucks extra for a bend pack scissor mid rise, do it. It’s extrememly heavy, poorly mobile, put has perks.

You can work on the car sitting upright, rather than on your back. Also, you can take a Porsche and Ferrari motor out without extra gadgets...

Plus, it’s built like a tank...

Toonfosi likes this.
  14. Dean Palmer

Dean Palmer Formula Junior

May 21, 2010
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    Dean Palmer
    Is there any special details to know for someone buying this lift for use on a F430 and a full size pickup truck as well?

I was concerned if it would be a good fit for both vehicles, or if there is a downside for the smaller Ferrari.

15. Cuddy K

Cuddy K Karting

Oct 30, 2017
    Full Name:
    Ian Karr
    On my 308, the ideal lifting points are pretty far apart for a car that size, so the longer QJ would probably work. Best to check the dimensions of your F430 lift points and compare to the pickup truck's. Keep in mind that the QJ must be kept within 3 inches of parallel...so the lifting mechanisms can't be angled.

16. david

david Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2001
    Northwest
    Full Name:
    david
    I've never tried this, but I thought I'd throw it out there as food for thought. It has occurred to me that I could actually set the QJ frames crosswise to the car if the lifting points didn't work using the QJ the normal way. I was thinking about doing this with a little Miata that we have. My plan was to lay the frames crosswise and put a 2X6 on top of the frame if the rubber blocks were outside of the lifting points. Then put rubber blocks on the 2x6s if needed. In this case, the QJ that I have just is short enough, that it fits the Miata, so I never got to test the theory. This would also be a useful approach if you wanted to lift at points behind the front wheels and points behind the rear wheels.

17. pizzadude

pizzadude Formula 3

Feb 20, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    My details shop uses a quick jack for some jobs in this manner and they said it works fine that way.
    I have lifted some of my other cars with my QJ but not my 328 yet. I will probably try it like this when the time comes.

18. Cuddy K

Cuddy K Karting

Oct 30, 2017
    Full Name:
    Ian Karr
    QJ showed sideways placement in the manual for the first gen one I bought. Not sure if they're still recommending it, but I don't see how it wouldn't work.

19. Dean Palmer

Dean Palmer Formula Junior

May 21, 2010
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    Dean Palmer
    It would work for sure, but the physics of "what if" motion (I made that up) could cause issues if for some reason "what it" the car experiences forces put on it by work or even someone leaning on it and it is at the theoretical limit of balance. With more of the car's weight and balance point off-axis of the quickjacks, the jacks have less of a capability to counter such force, and may tip. This is unlike normal where the longitudinal force is inline with the jacks, and the latitudinal forces side to side have no car hanging over and thus the jacks are firmly able to counter any normal side to side motion. I'm sure it's not about if they can work that was, it's the "what if" liability factor for stupid human tricks.

20. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ

I think this type of lifting is actually shown either in the QJ Manual or the online video..........I can't remember which.

21. ilappassionatodicavallino

Nov 2, 2016
    Texas
    The BL-7000SLX fits nicely under my F430 using the shortest rubber blocks at the factory jack points. Make sure you get the SLX length lift as the EXT lift will not fit between the F430 wheels. The SLX Frame Extension Kit will extend the length enough to safely lift your truck. Take care to ensure that the blocks don't contact the floor pan. It cracks easily. For my truck, I use the SLX Frame Extension Kit with the SUV and Light Truck Adapter Kit. It's all pretty straightforward.