maser gt help from the 458 crew | FerrariChat

maser gt help from the 458 crew

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by marce, Nov 9, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. marce

marce Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2014
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Marcel
    Hello Guys,

Not sure if this is ok to.post here, so sorry in advance.

I have a 2014 maser gt sport(4.7).
    It keeps throwing the code p0481(insufficient airflow secondary air intake system)on my scanner. It has been to the ferrari dealer a couple of times, and they keep suggesting it's a carbon build up issue(exhaust manifold), The thing is after I clear the code, when it comes back, I was driving at 110kms and had been for about 30mins, from my understanding the secondary air system is only operative when the engine is cold(up to 50-60c)

they have also advised that 430 and 458 have had similar issues.

Has anyone had this issue ?

cheers
    marce

2. rob5819

rob5819 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2017
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rob Barry
    I have both a 458 Spider and a Maserati GT Convertible. I've had that code twice on my Maserati and it was somewhat of a pain because it was due for emission inspection both times and had recently replaced a battery and all the tests needed to be run. You are correct that the secondary air system test does not run if the temperature is above a certain threshold (I'm not certain on the exact temperature). It also will not run if your car has more than 75% fuel, so do not try it on a full tank.

The first time I had that code the Ferrari/Maserati service people put the car in an air conditioned bay with fans blowing on it all night with the hood open to get cold air into the engine and then were able to get the test to run and clear.

I think March of this year Maserati had a recall for emission systems involving the secondary air system test. It took about an hour to due the software update. My understanding is that it made the test run more reliably. I replaced the battery in August and the test ran and cleared within a day. My GT is a 2011 so the recall may not apply to you, but I'll see if i can find the paperwork around here with the specifics.

I have not had that code on my 458.

3. rob5819

rob5819 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2017
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rob Barry
    https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10154698-9999.pdf

"Model: Quattroporte(M139), GranTurismo and GranCabrio (M145) Model Years: 2011 thru 2015 Subject: Voluntary Emissions Recall # 373 – V8 Engine Control Unit Re-Flash

Maserati S.p.A. and MNA have determined that the above described vehicles were manufactured with an engine software issue. Specifically, at engine startup, the engine software does not properly complete the Secondary Air Monitor resulting in a low Performance Ratio (IUMPR) that is below the legal limit."

This was a voluntary recall and may have only applied to North America, but it was mandatory here in California to renew registration. It didn't change anything on the car, but it did allow my GT to run and clear the secondary air system test in 80+F degree weather, which was not the case prior to the recall.

Worth looking into, otherwise try the air conditioned bay and fans into the engine compartment.

4. marce

marce Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2014
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Marcel
    Thanks Rob,

In all this did your 'check engine' warning light appear ?

cheers
    marce

5. rob5819

rob5819 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2017
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rob Barry
    No check engine light for me, my problem was all the codes were cleared with a battery change. Then the conditions were not correct for the test to run so I kept failing emissions and finally got a bluetooth OBD2 reader to check for myself. In your case you may have an actual problem that triggered the event, or it may have been a transient error that gave you the code and the test has not run again since you cleared it. My understanding is the test should only run on a cold start within the first two minutes of turning the car on so the behavior you are seeing is very strange. My thought was just that the emission recall Maserati issued was their way of admitting there was a problem with how the secondary air system was tested.

And to keep it 458 related:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Best of luck,

Rob