Why did I wait so long to lower my 458? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Why did I wait so long to lower my 458?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Nsd991, Oct 24, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Sorry but a proper shock setup to prevent binding during spring action is a thrust bearing.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Image Unavailable, Please Login

On a motorcycle, this allows you to adjust pre-load without removing the shock which usually requires removing a whole lot of parts including the exhaust. I am underwhelmed with the OEM suspension components on cars costing upwards of half million dollars. They should be top notch and fully adjustable high/low speed compression and rebound. Re-valving is an art and makes a world of difference as well.

RayJohns likes this.
  2. Corradosv

Corradosv Karting

Oct 17, 2016
    Monaco MC
    Exactly that.
    By the way I have never seen such a complication on any road car or road motorcycle, and I can tell no top level road racing motorcycle has it. I can't speak for racing cars nor off-road in general, as I don't have first-hand experience there.
    All in all, what is the actual benefit that can be achieved in real world, vs. the introduction of weight, complication and cost? For sure the preload on a motorcycle shock absorber is commonly and easily adjusted without removing the shock, and without a thrust bearing.

3. Nsd991

Nsd991 Formula Junior

Jul 19, 2012
  4. Nsd991

Nsd991 Formula Junior

Jul 19, 2012
  5. Golattus

Golattus Karting
    BANNED

Dec 15, 2017
    Full Name:
    JN
    IMO the problem of lowering the 458 on standard springs is that to get this you have to reduce preload very much and the suspension will be less solid under heavy load and you will take the, difficult but feasible, risk of belly touching the tarmac with obvious consequences.

That’s why is much safer and way correct to lower the car with specific springs with higher ratio to compensate the above.

John Bond likes this.
  6. Jason B

Jason B Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2006
    Hbg, PA
    The question is why did Ferrari leave these so high from the factory? Was it just them thinking for real world use and people with steep driveways, etc, not to bottom out? It can't corner as well being up that high. That wheel gap is only thing that needs to be addressed. On my Gallardo and that's the first thing I did, and factory coils are adjustable also.

[​IMG]

7. Gary Ike

Gary Ike Rookie

Oct 20, 2019
    My 458 is on Novitech springs and it looks great and handles just fine. Problem is that I’m constantly touching the undertray on the less than smooth back roads I’m used to bombing in my 991 coupe. I’m going back to stock ride height so I can bomb the same roads in the 458.

docf likes this.
  8. HX_Guy

HX_Guy Karting

Jun 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    Val B
    I had the same issue and had it raised about 1/2 inch, now its fine 99% of the time, still rubs just a tad on super big dips but Im good with it, love how it looks.

9. Gary Ike

Gary Ike Rookie

Oct 20, 2019
    Was the 1/2" added using the preload collars with the Novitech springs? I might try that before swapping back to stock springs.

10. rumen1

rumen1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2012
    Bulgaria
    If the car has lift system, you will need lowering springs for the front, because even on the lowest possible position, the front springs are sitting too high. Ridiculously high, actually.