Mondial muffler compatibility question.. | FerrariChat

Mondial muffler compatibility question..

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by davemqv, Nov 7, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Hey All,

The muffler on my 1983 QV seems to be dying. Loud, raspy, etc. I think the baffles are going/gone.

Trying to source a used muffler and wondering if the 3.0QV and 3.2 QV mufflers are compatible? They look pretty much the same in photos. I'd really appreciate it if someone could enlighten me!

On a side note, can mufflers be repaired? I have never heard of anyone cutting open a muffler to repair blown baffles but maybe it's done?

Thanks
    Dave

2. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    For the euro spec version they are the same, but for the US version it seems to be different.
    https://www.ferrariparts.co.uk/part/ferrari/128206?id=55224
    https://www.ferrariparts.co.uk/part/ferrari/131955?id=57914

Not sure how much you would pay for a used one, but a real (custom) exhaust service can repair your current one. I have a Nouvalari (No sport version, which gives a pretty nice sound for not too much money.

davemqv likes this.
  3. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Have a look on the P D Gough web site in the uk, they are the same as Nouvalari. It is a name they sell under in the usa i think.
    By the time you have tried a repair it might be cheaper to renew it. They have a set of web pics so u should find a match

4. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Hi Dave

I had mine cut open and the loose baffles rewelded.

Urs

davemqv likes this.
  5. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    That's what I would have thought the obvious option but I'm having a hard time finding someone up where I am (NYC area) who can do it.

6. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
  7. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I'd be interested in a SS non-sport exhaust like you have...but it would need to be California legal. Not sure those qualify.

8. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
  9. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    While the original exhaust was off for repair (it rattled with the loose baffles...) I had a Nuvolari Sport fitted.
    It sounded great under load but was annoyingly resonant at around 50mph. I was happy to go back to the original muffler.
    It was clearly the better compromise for normal driving.

Here a pic from "inside":

Image Unavailable, Please Login

It's a standard QV Euro muffler:

The openings are visible on the top surface:

10. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    Whats the requirement for CA legal? Supposed to have OEM equipment? With all the classic and modded cars in CA I'd think this might not be to much to skirt around, but maybe it is?

11. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    All smog/emissions equipment on post 1975 model years cars is required to be OEM. Not sure if exhaust figures into that though.

12. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    I guess not, It only act as a silencer. it does not reduce any emissions. Not sure if there is a max. decibel requirement. In NL we have, but for the classic cars they never make any discussion about it.

davemqv likes this.
  13. syata

syata Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2017
    You don’t need OEM mufflers in CA but the muffler must be rated for CA Street legal. On my X1/9 I swapped the stock single tail pipe with an Ansa four tail pipes and have been passing smog every time it get it SMOGed.
    I think with our vintage cars smog techs does a visual but for the muffler as long as it passes the emission numbers you are good.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app