Conversation of a Digiplex 801A to 802A possible ? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Conversation of a Digiplex 801A to 802A possible ?

Discussion in '308/328' started by paul01, Nov 1, 2019.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. alhbln

alhbln Formula 3
    Consultant Owner

Mar 4, 2008
    Berlin, Germany
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    No, i was going to use an industrial grade MPX sensor from freescale, the white rectangle at the lower edge of the PCB is the footprint for the sensor.

2. paul01

paul01 Karting

Jul 31, 2011
    Steve,
    yes there is an electromagnetic coil or two. If somebody open it, you see the mechanism but you have no values. Maybe you would see a defect in a membrane.

Tim,
    "played with the timing curves" I don´t think that is possible with the existing standard system. Except for the air pressure sensor input and output.

Adrian,
    ok. Not the original sensor.

It seems that nobody knows too much about the sensor E70.

A few years ago i saw Fiat/Lancia Digiplex MED402A . Housing looks similar. There is also an Air pressure sensor. E70 ?
    If so there is a possibility for defect sensors.

Image Unavailable, Please Login View attachment 2851903

Perhaps www.fluentinferrari.com is able to use this and transform it to a 801A or 802A.

Paul

Attached Files:

3. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Don't know specifically about that Digiplex MED 402A, but, based on the shape of the housing and where the vacuum port is located, I'd sure guess that it uses the same sensor, too.
    On the Microplex series there is an air sensor, too, but I believe it is a silicon chip style like Adrian mentioned as it is positioned in a way like it is a flat chip soldered to the PCB. Unfortunately, I've only got a picture of the backside of the Microplex PCB that someone previously posted, but you can see from where the vacuum port is located how this matches with a flat package being soldered to the other side of the PCB (and they smartly took the high-current transistor out of this ECU and put it in its own replaceable housing ;)):
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. paul01

paul01 Karting

Jul 31, 2011
    Steve,
    ok. If i buy a used Digiplex MED 402A i would tell it here if there is a Sensor E70 inside.
    Paul

5. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    Can anyone tell me why the little covers on these seem to 'go missing' A LOT and in their place someone always seems to squirt in red or white, rubberish epoxy?

Alway seems so 'ghetto' to me, but what do I know?

6. Badman

Badman Formula 3

Mar 4, 2007
    Gotham City
    Full Name:
    Bruce Wayne
    Just seeing this thread, thought I'd chime in on the rebuilds available from David at fluentinferrari.com. His rebuilds replace everything but the cast aluminum box. It contains a new circuit board using a 32-bit ARM processsor, and an MPX vacuum sensor like mentioned by alhbln above. One of the most important things he's got is new custom molded connectors, as these connectors were specialty and you can't just buy them off the shelf. Due to the way the connectors were made, trying to use the old connectors on a new board would be unlikely to be successful. The rebuilds are also designed with a much more rugged power supply than the original OEM units. Jump starting the car, pulling the battery while the car is running, reversing the battery, etc could all potentially kill the OEM boxes. His boxes are protected against the kind of reverse current and power surges those situations can cause. Timing is also sharper, and the individual curves are now a single modern map, so the timing transitions smoothly instead of jumping from curve to curve.

Yes, he can take the FIAT 402A boxes as a core for a rebuild. Anything that came in that box can be converted to anything else, since the innards for the rebuild are all new.

The discussion about the 'ethics' of turning an 801A (US 2V version) into an 802A (Euro 2V version) is about the Clean Air Act of 1970. It forbids changing the function of any emission related system in your car. It's a small fine for a private individual to do; it's a larger fine for a manufacturer. He's likely sensitive to that. But if you simply send him 801A cores and ask for 802A units back, I'm not sure he'd outright refuse.

I know plenty of cars that run 802A instead of 801A, as well as 803A instead of 805A (QV versions). They drop right in, and work well. Typically need an idle adjustment, as the Euro curves run more advanced at idle. But that's about it. I ran a set of 803A rebuilds in my US spec QV for a few years before I sold the car on to the next owner.

He also rebuilds the Microplex units as well.

7. Badman

Badman Formula 3

Mar 4, 2007
    Gotham City
    Full Name:
    Bruce Wayne
    Are you talking about the power transistor housing? Magnetti Marelli only put the riveted metal covers on the very early boxes. Under those covers there was always the white RTV as protection (you really don't want to be touching that transistor while the car is running. Ouch!). The red was painted on the top on some of them, but most of them are simply the white RTV.

mwr4440 likes this.
  8. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    #33 mwr4440, Dec 22, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2019
    Found one on ebay for €49.00

The 401A outwardly appears to look identical too.

IF David can work with these two alternate Fiat boxes, and turn them into 'Ferrari' boxes,

THAT is a

GAME CHANGER.

9. paul01

paul01 Karting

Jul 31, 2011
    Hi,
    yes the used 402A are available all the time €30....€150. So it is a good possibilty to turn in 801A/802A. But maybe also a source for the pressure sensors E70 (APS, vacuum sensor)
    Paul