Question regarding parts availabilty and DIY ability regarding Ferrari's | FerrariChat

Question regarding parts availabilty and DIY ability regarding Ferrari's

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by TheMidnightNarwhal, Nov 9, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheMidnightNarwhal

Nov 9, 2019
    Full Name:
    Jeremie Coursol
    Hello

I currently own a 2011 BMW 335is and in my current financial state doing my own work on it has saved a lot of money and made be able to more easily afford a car like this. Also I've learned mechanical skills and know the job is done right.

I'm looking at grabbing a Ferrari F430 or a 458 in the upcoming years as a weekend car I just fell in love with these cars but I have a few questions. I understand BMW is a more "widespread" brand so more DIYability on this but still, I am sure a Ferrari is workable on it, it's all nuts and bolts in the end.

I've found a couple of videos and guides here for DIYing certain jobs but I still have the questions below.

Diagnostic and dealer software: Can you obtain the Ferrari dealer software for diagnostics and code reading and for example force trigger ABS pumps, etc. On my BMW the dealer software can be found easily online and is able to reads BMW specefic codes from all modules, do certain tests and procedure. I assume Ferrari also has their dealer software although perhaps it is not install able on a laptop like BMW's is? Or perhaps not even available?

Service manual/torque specs: This kinda goes back to dealer software I think (BMW dealer software includes all service procedures and torque specs) but is this easily available online or via software or only good old paper manuals?

Part diagrams catalog: Is this information easily accessible to lookup part numbers and part diagrams? For example BMW has https://www.realoem.com/ .

Parts sourcing: For BMW I use FCP Euro exclusively thanks to their lifetime warranty on parts and to order parts online. While I understand Ferrari parts probably won't have lifetime, can I order all the parts I would ever need online or it is only via dealer? My closest Ferrari dealer is in Montreal (I am in Ottawa) about 2 hours away.

Car longevity: How long do more modern Ferraris last? I see cars with 30k miles considered high milleage. Again, I understand it's a different type of car but still, wouldn't the engine be expected to last at least 80k miles? I would assume Ferrari engines are built to quality and built strong considering their purpose.

2. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    When you get past all the hype,a Ferrari is still just a car,albeit one that was designed and built by people who like olive oil,red wine,and going on strike. The hardest part about working on your Ferrari is that the company refuses to make service manuals available to owners. Nevertheless,all you really need are a few basic hand tools. These are the tools that get the job done on my Portofino:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Wade likes this.
  3. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    Make sure you keep that tool kit intact. They will be valuable some day. ;)

4. afwrench

afwrench Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2004
    NY
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Pretty sure the pipe wrench is the wrong color.Mike

5. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    I believe that most late model Ferraris have red pipe wrenches. Your Ferrari must be very old.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. TheMidnightNarwhal

Nov 9, 2019
    Full Name:
    Jeremie Coursol
    Am I missing something? Is the pipe wrench a Ferrari Chat joke haha?

7. TheMidnightNarwhal

Nov 9, 2019
    Full Name:
    Jeremie Coursol
  8. tantumaude

tantumaude Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2016
    Burlington, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mat
    I have an older one (456) but also came from the BMW world. I found the 456 much easier to work on. A lot of parts are common as well (suspension cells are from an E32 7-series, etc). At the end of the day it's all nuts, bolts, stupid plastic trim fasteners and expensive electronics.

9. TheMidnightNarwhal

Nov 9, 2019
    Full Name:
    Jeremie Coursol
    Yeah totally agree it's all nut in bolts in the end but I would still need a diagnosis software and torque specs. Also ordering parts online because my closest dealer is 2 hours away.

10. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    So the rub with the latest cars is you need a diagnostic scanner to get ALL the systems in the car. Some scanners will allow you to get the ABS, AIRBAG, etc. and reset lights. For other systems like the stability control, instrument cluster, etc. you need an SD3 for the 430 or as I understand the online Ferrari system for the 458 and later. For this, it's the strategy that will help you reduce costs. For MOST things you *should* be able to get an idea whats wrong at least on the 430. With the 458, the computer systems are so integrated you might need access to an independent with a Leonardo scanner or the like. Bolting on parts is the easy part. I find my 360 easier to repair than my Porsches. Parts diagrams can be found online for the model on most of the parts suppliers.

For parts you have the used market or Ricambi, eurospares, etc. I use FCP for my Porsches. And yes, it's cheap. Don't expect FCP pricing for Ferrari's. Add a few zeros. Parts are cheaper but not cheap by any means. All this Youtube BS of buying a part for $5 and having it work or cleaning it and it magically works... that's the exception not the rule. I've done the Porsche thing, and yes you can be a grad student and afford to own one if you do your own work... I warn you, Ferrari's are in another league all together. Sometimes you get lucky, other times... it will be Ferrari pricing and you have to pay the price. If you can afford it new, you can afford it used.

The good news is the reason most cars only have 20k miles on them is the owners only drive them once a week or once every few weeks. Based on my experience, if you drive your Ferrari once a week to oil operating temp, it will be reliable. If you let it sit.. it won't. Mine has been about as reliable as my 986 Boxster. There are examples out there that the owners take their cars to mechanics who don't know what they're doing, don't drive it, or abuse it, and have a different experience than I've had.

TheMidnightNarwhal likes this.
  11. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.