Fuel Leak F430 Coupe LH Fuel Pump | FerrariChat

Fuel Leak F430 Coupe LH Fuel Pump

Discussion in '360/430' started by conscom, Sep 8, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. conscom

conscom Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2008
    Vancouver BC Canada
    Full Name:
    Gary
    #1 conscom, Sep 8, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    An expensive repair indeed. Initially I noticed a fuel smell in the cabin at an autocross event. I initially thought maybe from the venting system. Later, the smell became much stronger so finally I took it in to my mechanic. Sure enough, it was a crack in the top of the left hand fuel pump (see photos). I consider myself very lucky as the fuel was literally spewing out from the top with engine running. Not only was the pump cost out of this world, so was the shipping and repair costs. The cost including shipping (had to be shipped as "dangerous goods") was close to US$1,000!! Then the gas tank had to be drained in order to remove and install the new pump (check the length). This is beginning to sound like a common occurrence? So if any of you detect fuel smell in the cabin, please immediately check both left and right fuel pumps by simply removing the side panels. I was very lucky!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. c6vette

c6vette Karting

Jun 4, 2009
    St. Petersburg
    I know this is a very old thread but has anybody replaced the pump themselves? What all is involved in removing it? I understand the fuel tank has to be moved quite a bit to get the pump out. I have a service manual but it is for a spider so it is of no use. My fuel gauge recently stopped working (showing full at all times) so I am thinking of taking on this project myself. Thanks for any input!

3. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
  4. kreh

kreh Karting

Feb 21, 2006
    OC
    Full Name:
    Kim Reh
    Should replace both pumps at the same time. Saves on the NRE. I had the same issue.

5. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    If ever I have to replace my pumps I will prep and fill these cavities (weak spots)
    with a gas/oil resistance epoxy. There are lots of those for industrial use, such as Belzona.
    Cheap insurance. Obviously the best time is when the pumps are new.

6. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    This post bring up sad memories for me....the OP is Gary Yee, a great and wonderful person. He was a passionate Ferrari owner, but also owned Porsches and BMWs. Retired, he loved driving and volunteered as a driving instructor for the BMW Club chapter in British Columbia. In early 2017 he was in WA St at a club track event and was in a terrible accident and died. May he rest in peace.

Bbash47 and whatheheck like this.
  7. c6vette

c6vette Karting

Jun 4, 2009
    St. Petersburg
    sorry to hear that...

8. c6vette

c6vette Karting

Jun 4, 2009
    St. Petersburg
    Anybody have any real info about getting the left side pump out of the car on a coupe?

9. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    You could be lucky if you have an earlier model 430 (05/06) as they have a flange plate on top of the tank that the pump fits into. Undoing the plate simply allows the pump to lift out. The picture at the top of the page is like mine, no flange plate. (07) A much bigger job. Undertray off, plastic inner gravel guard off, for access to tank which has to go rearward a few inches or as far as you can, to get the pump up and out. Pumps are about $500 so not too bad. You will notice in the photos the original pump plastic is white. (flawed) The new pumps are yellowish orange and are the newer upgraded pump, time will tell. If you have white ones I would replace both.

10. c6vette

c6vette Karting

Jun 4, 2009
    St. Petersburg
    Thanks! Mine is an 05 so it does have the flange plate. I was not aware that removing the plate would allow the pump to come out so I really appreciate the info!

11. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    You are a lucky man. You may still have to remove the pump from the plate to get it out but unbolting the plate allows the pump to come out on an angle unlike the later version.

12. West Point

West Point Karting

Oct 21, 2019
    Full Name:
    West Point
    Why wait - would there be any issue in filling these cavities with epoxy on existing (not yet leaking) pumps?

13. bzubi

bzubi Karting

May 7, 2007
    NOVA
    Full Name:
    Bashar Zubi
    I'd like to know the answer to the above question? That's what I was thinking. I could clean it up as best as I can, then fill the cavities with a gas/oil resistant epoxy as a precaution.

14. Zack Hawker

Zack Hawker Karting

Feb 27, 2018
    Paradise Valley, Az
    Full Name:
    Zack Az Realtor
    I have replaced mine as I was lucky and its an 05 so it has the plate to remove and you don't have to loosen the tank. I ordered from scuderia auto parts. Think it was less than 500. I added the plastic epoxy like another member suggested. . There are about a dozen small bolts that hold that plate on, the back one is a bit tough to get to but nothing crazy. All in it took me 2 to 3 hours.
    I drove the car for a bit woth the engine panel off to see if there were any leaks or smells etc. Can't believe they did away with the plate in 07 and up models, maybe one less place to leak from...

15. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Zack which epoxy did you use?

16. Zack Hawker

Zack Hawker Karting

Feb 27, 2018
    Paradise Valley, Az
    Full Name:
    Zack Az Realtor
    Can't remember exactly but It was especially for plastic and a two part high heat epoxy... Hit up any hardware and there a bunch of good options.

17. West Point

West Point Karting

Oct 21, 2019
    Full Name:
    West Point
    Thanks to Zack. Your photo suggests that you epoxied your new (yellow) pump during replacement and from all you say that seems to have worked (or at least did no harm. I wonder why Ferrari didn’t do this on the OEM part given all the apparent early problems.

I was wondering if this can be usefully done on an original (white) pump before it fails and so actually prevent the cracking / leak and expense altogether?

18. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    this happened to me too.
    ultimately replaced both pumps and all of the stuff going with it as a precautionary measure.
    cost $5k at foh.....of course.

what really pisses me off about this is that Ferrari Spa does this on purpose - sends cars to the usa market that have parts that are not resistant to the issues that can occur when using fuel containing ethanol.....they know this is the case in this market and yet equip the cars with inadequate and destined to fail parts.
    borderline criminal.

19. Zack Hawker

Zack Hawker Karting

Feb 27, 2018
    Paradise Valley, Az
    Full Name:
    Zack Az Realtor
    Correct, I did this to my new pump as a precaution. I would not hesitate to do it to any existing pump that is not leaking as a precaution. Granted I am no expert but can't see how it would hurt.

20. shad99

shad99 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2013
    Japatul Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Andy
    I used Permatex Plastic Weld. Available at Auto Zone. Thoroughly cleaned with carburetor cleaner first, then roughened surfaces with a Dremel tool and jeweler's files. 24 hour cure time, then good to go. Mine has lasted 2 years.

21. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    Epoxying a new pump cant hurt I guess. I tried epoxy on my cracked leaking pump to no avail though. As has been said the new yellowish pumps are an upgrade and I haven't heard of any failures.

22. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

I think once its cracked its to late. Epoxying a pump before it cracks is a wise move in my opinion. Pre maintenance

23. wiley355

wiley355 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 10, 2010
    Vancouver, WA
    Full Name:
    Wiley
    I would like to remove the left and right engine compartment side panels and take a look at my fuel pumps to see if there is an issue on my 2005 F430. I assume that you have to at least disconnect the bottom of the engine cover struts in order to remove the side panels. Dumb question: how do you disconnect the bottom of the hood strut? There is a clip that is easily removed but I can't figure out how to disonnect it. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

24. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Just use a tiny screwdriver to pry the clip outward and then the strut will come off. Have something ready to prop up the engine lid cuz it wont stay up with only one strut.

wiley355 likes this.
  25. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Wiley- If there is a problem, you will smell it for sure. Voice of experience.

wiley355 likes this.