Replacing just one tire | FerrariChat

Replacing just one tire

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Scout123, Nov 10, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Scout123

Scout123 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2017
    After having my 458 spider for just three days, a Kansas City manhole cover created a slight gash in a front side wall. This car had new Michelin Pilot Super Sports put on 2000 miles ago. I ordered two new tires for the front per the typical practice of always replacing at least two tires. However, just interested in your thoughts that since the miles are so low on these tires of just replacing one.

2. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Shouldn't make a heck of a lot of difference. Depends on how much tire wear there is. You can also adjust the pressure up or down 1/4 PSI (on one tire) sometimes to help balance things out, if needed. But for most driving situations, you aren't going to really notice it.

Get yourself a good digital caliper and measure the tread depth. Measure across all grooves and you'll see variations there as well.

On my SUV, I track the tread depth on all four tires in order to know when to rotate the tires front to rear and/or side to side. Even with exactly the same miles on each pair of front tires, for example, the depth isn't ever exactly the same. As long as the depth is within about .010" to .020" of each other, then you should be okay. You can check your current tires and also find out the depth of brand new tires to help make a determination.

Ray

3. triathgeek

triathgeek Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2010
    Santa Clarita, CA
    I would also check the date codes on the tires if they are not recently new. I have read not to run tires more than 5 or 6 years old. No problems for me as I wear them out much sooner than that.

dschaak and Caeruleus11 like this.
  4. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    I am very conservative when it comes to tires. I get about 7,500 miles on the rears on my 458 Spider. Michelin Pilot Super Sports.

Even though the fronts are about half worn compared to the rears l replace all four tires. Recently l was losing air in one of the rears. Couldn’t find the problem. I live 3.5 hours from Denver and don’t trust the locals to mount my tires. So l replaced all four tires. Considering the cost of the car and the hassle if something goes wrong l feel this is a very cheap solution.

I suppose very few people would be so anal about this. But it is my money and it works for me.

dschaak and Bandit23 like this.
  5. Bandit23

Bandit23 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 28, 2016
    Miami
    i tend to change all 4 tires too, i like or prefer having the new compounds on all for wheels... dont like having mis-match set. new and used ..
    each to their own i guess..

PhilNotHill likes this.
  6. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    For me, 2 at a time is fine.

7. DXB599

DXB599 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

In Dubai during the annual inspection they check tire date codes and after 5-years, the tires must be replaced regardless of condition.

dschaak likes this.