Drove the F8 today and placed my order! | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Drove the F8 today and placed my order!

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by buddyg, Nov 8, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    What happens if you arrive at your destination in the midst of that process and turn the car off?

2. jim g

jim g Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2003
    Waverly, Pa.
    Full Name:
    Jim Gress
    I've had 2 488's and am driving the F8 Wednesday at 2. I'll compare them the best I could on a cold day with cold tires.

tekaefixe likes this.
  3. Texas2step

Texas2step Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2018
    Full Name:
    Bola olusola
    Looking forward to it. Comparing F8 to 458 to me is pointless and takes us down that 458 vs 488 rabbit hole. I am interested in 488 To F8 comparison from you with your personal 488 experience.

jumpinjohn and jim g like this.
  4. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    Well, I do not know directly what Ferrari will do.

I also do not know if Ferrari indicates on its dash if the car is currently in the re-gen process (of the GPFs), and I wonder if Ferrari will have a "forced regen" process like this:
    https://www.fleetowner.com/maintenance/how-reduce-forced-regen-hassles

Once someone has an F8 owner's manual, it could make for some very interesting reading...

Even more interesting reading this:
    http://www.freepatentsonline.com/y2016/0201532.html

If the car is shut off during a regen, I would expect Ferrari would perform a series of "partial regenerations" as long as it had to in order to complete the GPF soot burn off, so, if you arrive at your destination the car would turn off like normal and once the car could continue the GPF regen, it will.

These are sufficient reasons for me to completely avoid ownership of any fun / exotic vehicle that includes GPF (you should read through that patent link for all the absurdity required!)

of2worlds, Surfah and tekaefixe like this.
  5. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I greatly appreciate your thoroughness. You have become the FChat defacto expert on this subject matter! :)
    I know pulling off the GPF will void warranty and need ECU retune, so accepting that, do you have a personal belief that the "wizkids" at companies like Novitec will be able to accomplish such a feat?

6. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Tony , have you driven a 488 ? If so could you compare with that. Best , Kirk.

7. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    Thank you!

At present word is Novitec is not too keen on attempting, however, over time they may try and if successful I am sure it will be a very popular product.

There are companies out there specializing in re-tuning Ferrari ECUs:
    https://www.celtictuning.co.uk/services/ferrari/488-2015/petrol/3-9-v8-twin-turbo-660-bhp-2015-ECU-remap-chiptuning/stage-1

and
    https://www.evo.co.uk/ferrari/18065/ecu-remap-brings-777bhp-to-dmc-tuned-ferrari-488-gtb

If Ferrari 'makes it easy' to re-map the ECU so much the better...but it will be a big job as there are a lot more parameters than remapping for horsepower gains.

Question is, if they (Novitec/others) "build it", will customers want it? Maybe not for the first several years until warranty expirations have occurred...so, I expect a "GPF DELETE" option will eventually appear :)

8. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    It is a real choice. Do I trade my 458 Spider for an F8 Spider. Based on the sound of the F8 my answer so far is no.

I was invited to drive the F8 in Denver. It is a 3.5 hour drive each way over two mountain passes.Snow packed roads. Accidents in I-70 everyday clogging traffic. Have to spend the night in a hotel. Just not worth it. Maybe in the summer when the roads are not so iffy. Just maybe.

9. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    The performance difference between the 458 and F8 is insane! That won me over as well as the updated interior and the engine under the F40 style glass. I am normally a spider guy but I want to try the coupe this time.

stavura, Surfah, tfazio and 2 others like this.
  10. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    You will almost certainly drive a coupe more often. It's just easier to live with.

11. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Not sure I understand what you mean? I drive my spider all the time and there has never been a time I thought if I had a coupe I would drive it more?

jm2 likes this.
  12. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Maybe I'm overestimating the time and convenience (perhaps you drive it closed a lot), but my 458 coupe is so easy day to day that I'd probably stick with a coupe too, even though I love convertibles generally. Even 20-30 seconds every drive adds up.

Also for me, in the first year or so of my 355 Spider I developed sun spots [mostly on my left cheek] for the first time ever.

of2worlds likes this.
  13. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    The top opens and closes pretty quick and I try to drive it with the top open as much as possible! If it's not the best weather I still drive it just with the top closed.

tekaefixe and ryalex like this.
  14. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    cannot see any practicality issue when comparing coupes and hard top retracting convertibles. theyre same

tekaefixe likes this.
  15. Texas2step

Texas2step Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2018
    Full Name:
    Bola olusola
    You just echoed my point. I doubt you will trade your 458 spider for 488 spider for the same reason of the sound of the car. I find that most who don’t like the 488 because of the sound are unlikely to like the F8 for the same reason. I am happy with the 488 sound so if F8 with GPF sounds at least as good as the 488 that is good enough for me.

16. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Posters on here say it is much quieter. I have not heard in person, but the videos don't sound as good as the 488.

17. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    That’s because they are static Rev battles. What did they ever tell anyone?

18. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    I completely disagree with this sentiment. How is it easier to live with?

Il Co-Pilota and PhilNotHill like this.
  19. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Sound is important to me. That is why I disconnected the lines from the baffles on my 458 Spider.* Now the baffles are open all the way through the rev range. With the lines connected the baffles didn't open until about 5,000 rpms in Sport Mode and 3,000 rpms in Race mode. Now I hear the exhaust music all the way to 9,000 rpms.

The F8 may be much faster. But the 458 is plenty fast enough for me. It scares me sometimes...in a good way. I really enjoy it.

For me a convertible is a must in a sports car. It is a much more sensual experience. You can see the mountains and smell the pines and aspen. Also feels like you are going faster than a coupe. Probably has saved me a fortune in speeding tickets.

(A Tesla may be faster than 458 but it does not meet my criteria as a sports car. No sound. No convertible. The distances where I live are too much to have to plug in for hours after driving 300 miles.)

*recommended by the dealer. Does not void warranty and can easily be reversed.

gabf1 and jm2 like this.
  20. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Not sure how you get to that conclusion? With the hardtop, they are virtually the same to live with. Not sure what makes a Tributo easier to live with thzn the Spider? Virtually same luggage space, both have virtually the same cabin and noise/heat insulation etc. Yes, back in the day there was a significant price to pay for drop-top motoring in either practicality, performance or comfort, but since the 488 Spider with its stiffness and hardtop, I really don't see any drawback in terms of comfort and practicality, and performance loss is minimal.

21. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    There's one major difference. Not only has the 488 and F8 roof gotten a few seconds faster than the 458 roof, you can put it down while moving. That is the single most dimwitted thing about the 458 Spider. Not even being able to put the roof down at 25-30 mph. Glad they changed that.

And if one gets the smarttop device thingy, one has the ability to lower the roof before even entering the car, or operate the roof with only a one-touch of the roof button.

ryalex likes this.
  22. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    The F40 style glass over the engine is too cool to pass up though.

buddyg likes this.
  23. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    of2worlds and buddyg like this.
  24. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I agree, but will it scratch? Is it glass or plastic?

25. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Agree. Best not to have any GPF or regen and associated complications to worry about - just more things to go wrong and get choked up. The car needs less restrictions not more! F8 has joined what is now a down hill run on a very slippery slope.

of2worlds and JTSE30 like this.