Ferrari SF90 Stradale : picture and news thread | Page 111 | FerrariChat

Ferrari SF90 Stradale : picture and news thread

Discussion in 'SF90 Stradale' started by maha, May 29, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    Obviously it depends on driving conditions which is why I described the condition about which I am asking. And the scenario I present is using the car to travel, not track. I thought the intent of the SF90 was not track only, but that it was intended to be used on the open public roadways.

People argue that the 812 is a Sports Car and not a GT. Ok that is fine as far as it goes, but I enjoy traveling in it. And it is a fine traveling car. To “regenerate”, all i have to do is pull into a gas station. The range varies by how hard I drive, but no matter how hard I drive, it only takes a few minutes to regenerate. No extra equipment or planning necessary. And I will have access to all the power available for the entire trip.

Not so with a Tesla. It is very limited on where it can efficiently travel due to both range and regeneration options. No matter how categorized, the Tesla (or any EV) will not be a traveling automobile until it can have a 500-600 mile range.

Whether or not the SF90 is GT or Super Car (whatever that means), if someone is planning to use the car for a road trip, it would be helpful to know the recharge rate on ICE alone. As opposed to the 812, when I pull out of the gas station after a few minutes, I still do not necessarily have access to the full power potential of the car.

I think that would be a good thing to know before shelling out $750k for a beautiful car!!

John

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Dela and Caeruleus11 like this.
  2. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    According to Motor Authority, 255/35 up front and 315/30 rear on 20” rims.

Caeruleus11 and of2worlds like this.
  3. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I think the SF90 is a model that can be either. With the Fiorano pack, you lose the ability to adjust the firmness of the ride, so no more bumpy road mode. This puts an SF90 in a category of a fairly hard-core track focused car.
    If you order it without the track pack, it will be more normal sportscar, like the 812 and 488. I actally suspect that the ride of the standard setup will be more Pista/ than 488GTB.

So yes, a high end sportscar/supercar for sure, but with the "usual" uncanny Ferrari ability to mix astonishingly brilliant performance of a car such as the Pjsta and 812, with a level of comfort that makes the car easy to live with.

But to keep the GT ability Ferrari has in bumpy road mode on their sportscar line, one should probably stay away from the Fiorano pack.

Caeruleus11 and jumpinjohn like this.
  4. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Thanks

Just saw that it was on Ferraris website under specs. Hope they will use MPS4S rather than PZ4.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  5. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    are you sure about this?
    i would be surprised if it did

all hybrids have some form of regen braking, but not all, actually virtually none, have IC engine recharge capability.

(mine does, but only since i added the special module).

6. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Of course. From Ferrari's release: "Performance: This mode keeps the ICE running because the priority is on charging the battery".

I am not aware of a hybrid car that does not charge the battery using the ICE; even the Prius does.

Doug23 and of2worlds like this.
  7. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    ok. will be interested to see how that actually works.

8. [gTr]

[gTr] Formula 3

Mar 11, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    Even though it does not answer your question fully, I found the video from the factory explaining the various driving modes to be very well done. To me SF90 is more like the Porsche 918 where for long distance you use the hybrid mode with both the motor and the battery working together. It is not designed for ICE only use with the battery being constantly charged by the motor for long drives. In my mind ICE only mode is for short trips in a city or leaving your house in the morning without waking the neighbours.
    The one thing that is a bummer about the SF90 is the small trunk which makes it less suitable as a long trip GT car vs. the other non-hybrid mid engined ones.

stavura, Caeruleus11 and jumpinjohn like this.
  9. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    Thanks! I will look it up. Agree about the lack of storage. If my bride is accompanying-no dice!!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  10. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Still think the sf90 does not have enough of a big impact compared to the f8 visually. Unlike between v10 and v12s Lambos for example.

11. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    You must mean "electric motor", not "ICE".

[gTr] likes this.
  12. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I think this is exactly right about the hybrid mode. I don't think its meant to be used in full tilt mode all the time. I don't think its at all like being an EV.

Going a little bit OT, I think you have to look at EVs differently from ICE cars when it comes to filling up. ICE, most of us don't have refueling at home. So we have to fill it up at a filling station. Thus, the filling stations allow us a fairly speedy fill up. Whereas with EV you will charge to 100% at home. So you don't have to fill up 100% at a charging station, you just need enough juice + margin to get to your next place. Sure, taking a long road trip right now is a bummer, but, I think that's one of the many reasons why we're not going to see many cars going pure EV for a long time.

13. j09333

j09333 Formula 3

May 7, 2004
    #2764 j09333, Nov 11, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
    Most of hybrid cars regen with 1 engine and 2 brake or both.
    I assume SF90 regen battery with engine only. 918 has both regen methods.
    Engine only regen happens in 2 cases.
    1. Costing (foot off gas pedal)
    2. Excess of power (when not in need, engine power distributed to wheels and generator)

I really hope that SF90 has lexus hybrid like feature, which is when you turn on the vehicle, hybrid battery juices 12V battery system for ICE thus eliminating the need of constant charging for 12v system. I can park the lexus for a month not worrying about battery jump. For lexus, when on, electric mode is activated and moves the vehicle and then, when the ICE system is ready, engine turns on whenever is needed.

Caeruleus11 and of2worlds like this.
  14. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    As I have written above, the SF90 Stradale recharges its batter both via the ICE as well as regenerative braking.

Doug23, KenU and of2worlds like this.
  15. j09333

j09333 Formula 3

May 7, 2004
    Oh... now I searched and you are right. It is indeed a full hybrid with brake regen.

Caeruleus11, REALZEUS and of2worlds like this.
  16. [gTr]

[gTr] Formula 3

Mar 11, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    Ahh yes, that is what I meant. Thank you for correcting!

REALZEUS likes this.
  17. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
  18. kandi

kandi Formula 3

Jun 27, 2014
  19. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Frankly I don't know ..

20. KenU

KenU Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2004
    Planet Earth
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Just put my order in for a golf cart also, just in case:D

stavura, raclaims, of2worlds and 2 others like this.
  21. kandi

kandi Formula 3

Jun 27, 2014
  22. Dela

Dela Karting

Aug 8, 2019
    Full Name:
    D
    CarlosArtGb18, REALZEUS and stavura like this.
  23. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
  24. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name: