355 - Shock Actuator & Shock Gear (Front Left)... | FerrariChat

355 Shock Actuator & Shock Gear (Front Left)...

Discussion in '348/355' started by F1ScuderiaTifosi, Nov 12, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F1ScuderiaTifosi

Mar 16, 2015
    Hill Country TEXAS
    Full Name:
    JB
    The suspension dash-light illuminated recently so I checked all of the actuators and shock gears.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

It ended up being the set located on the front left shock. The actuator gear and shock gear were both broken. I forgot to take photos of the broken actuator gear, sorry.

The procedure to remove the actuators for inspection of the gears are pretty straight forward so I didn't take photos of that process. Access to the upper shock components in the front compartment is a bit tricky because they're in fairly tight spaces. You'll need to remove the weather seal and felt compartment-liner to see and access the shock components in the front compartment. This write up is specifically for the front left components...

I sent my 2 actuators (I had 1 spare that also needed a rebuild) to Captain Z CNC to get rebuilt. I also ordered 2 new shock gears from him. Captain's turn-around time was excellent. I got an e-mail notifying me they were completed the same day he received the package! That's a 1 week door to door turn-around! Nice quick work, Captain!

I got to work once I received my rebuilt actuators and new shock gears. The actuator gears are now metal instead of plastic. Nice!

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

I didn't have a small enough punch so I used a small nail to drift out the roll pin. I cut the point off of the nail and filed off the burrs to prevent roll pin expansion and galling. Like I mentioned, it's a tight fit in the workspace so I used a very long needle nose plier to hold the nail while I lightly tapped out the roll pin with a small ball peen hammer and said nail. It doesn't take much force to drift the roll pin.

Here are the broken pieces of the OEM shock gear and the new shock gear from Captain Z.

I pushed in the roll pin far enough to stay put but not too far to prevent the gear from smoothly slipping on the shock's adjustment shaft for installation. As you can see, the shock gear is machined in a way to limit the adjustment rotation. I purposely pinned it on this side of the shock gear for a reason. The top of the shock has a stationary stop ledge facing outwards. If I pinned it on the other side, I wouldn't be able to get access to the pin to drift it in. Did that make sense? LOL!

Captain Z included this note in the shock gear baggie. All you have to do is slip on the new gear, align the roll pin with the shock's adjustment shaft's roll pin hole and lightly drift the pin in until it's fairly flush with the gear's face.

Once the shock gear is installed, reseat the actuator, lock-in the actuator with the clip and rejoin the connectors. Done. Down a beer.

WATSON and JLF like this.
  2. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    I thought there was a sticky for this somewhere. Did you use the sewing needle method to align the pin and the holes? It can also save you dropping the pin.

I think I used pliers to insert the pin on mine. I didn't want to break something by hitting it with a hammer.

3. F1ScuderiaTifosi

Mar 16, 2015
    Hill Country TEXAS
    Full Name:
    JB
    I was able to align it by sight and feel. I thankfully got it on the first try.

Qavion likes this.