FF cold startup loudness | Page 2 | FerrariChat

FF cold startup loudness

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by andyrichter, Nov 10, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bamsefar

Bamsefar Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2012
    No not really - I like it when the valves are open, and I do not like the smell from removing the cats...

otakki likes this.
  2. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    While I understand the appeal of the sound, I simply can't wrap my head around the idea of having your luxurious leather upholstered Ferrari smell like a 45 year old Fiat 124. No thanks.

otakki and Bamsefar like this.
  3. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    I
    I beg to differ. I was walking behind an 812 on start up today which was decatted. It didn’t smell in any obvious way.

Also, I have 100 cell sports cats on Portofino (not a decat but close) and no issues, incl with roof down

maybe these concerns relate to engines from 10+ years ago?

4. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    No.
    These are ossues I have experienced on most of the current lineup. You need to drive them and be in them to really experience it. Both a decatted and regular 812 will actually smell quite similar on startup.

You 100 cell cats actually does make quite a difference. We don't have to agree. Just my experience.

5. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    My Lusso with Kline cold start with the valves open is earth shattering. Love it....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Way2fast likes this.
  6. speedbird1000

speedbird1000 Rookie

Jun 29, 2008
    Europe
    Let's be clear ! My F12 has novitec with a push button valve controller, like many others have. However on start up, ferrari ecu immediately revs engine to like 4k for half a second only. That is for emissions compliance, because it heats the cats faster, making them work earlier. It is actually bad for the engine, because you want a softer start when it is cold to get oil flowing first.. But of course, emissions compliance won the day. Now, that first half second 4k rev happens when there is no vacuum pressure, so the valves are open as they need vacuum to shut. That first half second creates a monster loud snarl that is a nightmare on a Sunday morning !! Or when it is better to be discrete!! If you own one of these cars you will understand sometimes it is best to be silent. So the only way to solve this, is to add vacuum to the system, PRIOR to the start up so the valves remain closed in that first second. They close anyway after about half a second due to vacuum, but that first half second on 100 cell cats is very loud and I get many complaints one threated to call the police even as he said he nearly had a heart attack . So I will fit a mini "thing" soon that will create vacuum PRIOR to start. I heard rumours the lusso has such a system, if someone can please attach a photo of the thing under the bonnet, much appreciated!!!!

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  7. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Here is a pic of the switch on the steering wheel post[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Bamsefar and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  8. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    interesting!! very cool

9. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I have the Capristo mufflers and valve control on my LussoV12. The cold start is so loud that my wife is threatening me to take them off if I use the Lusso early mornings again, it literally sounds like thunder awakening suddenly. Aside from that I do find the low RPM drone to be annoying even in valves closed position but once it gets going nothing like it!

of2worlds likes this.
  10. Outrun

Outrun Karting

I cold start mine and switch on the remote that opens the novitec exhaust. The world needs v12 start up sounds, not snowflakes that don’t appreciate the aural pleasure.

Makuono, otakki, ANOpax and 2 others like this.
  11. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    All the wives hate me in my neighborhood. Their husbands all want nicer cars

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Makuono, otakki, Outrun and 3 others like this.
  12. Bamsefar

Bamsefar Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2012
    I would love to see how that switch is connected, and to what/why - any chance we could get a picture or two of the other side of that switch so I could well copycat ;-)

13. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I have no idea how it is connected. It came with the vehicle. Not about to pull it apart

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Bamsefar and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  14. speedbird1000

speedbird1000 Rookie

Jun 29, 2008
    Europe
    Solved it in a moment of imagination..

Insert 2x used regular sized Costa coffee cups into valved outlets, start, and take them out. !!

Gas still flows through muffled just like when valves are closed, thanks Costa...peace at last. I live next to old people's home and exhaust points in their direction normally, thankfully no heart attacks reported !!

Attached Files:

Makuono and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  15. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Lol. Good stuff. Wonder what people think seeing you stuff coffee cups in your exhaust every day before leaving. Post a vid of before and after:)

16. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    I've heard new AMG cars will have something called Emotional Start, which holds exhaust valves open when starting, and is activated by pulling and holding one of the paddles when starting the engine. Now Ferrari should do something like that.

17. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Sounds cool! My 16’ a63 doesn’t have that;(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I like the idea, that's cool. But who on earth comes up with those names? It's no different that the key for the Aston. An Emotional Control Unit. How boring and beige do you have to be, to come up with crap like that? That's one of the things I like about Ferrari. Yes, it's Italian and there's often a long list of nonsensical worlds thrown about when you're at a presentation or read some material, but a key is a key, and an exhaust is an exhaust. It would have been so much more cool and honest if they had called it "Aggressive Start" or something like that. Emotional Start? Really? What an utter girls blouse that sounds like. It's AMG for crying out loud!

otakki and Makuono like this.
  19. papou

papou Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    plantation Fla
    Full Name:
    daniel ross
    Thinking of the Forza Componenti controller .

20. Mike Chawla

Mike Chawla Karting

Dec 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    Mike Chawla
    Oh wow this is great info, thanks for this, will it also work for 812 cold start? Is it ok to mess with it long term for cold start? I for one don’t want to disturb neighbours
    Thanks again for your help

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat