Looking for a radar detector hack | FerrariChat

Looking for a radar detector hack

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by ncjetskier, Nov 5, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ncjetskier

ncjetskier Formula 3

Jul 7, 2012
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I have a Uniden radar detector which I really like. The cigarette lighter plug worked well on the 348, 360 and the 430 however does not work well in the 458. The electric plug keeps popping up which turns off the detector. Does anybody have a simple solution to fix this other than hard wiring the detector as I would rather not go that route? Thanks for any help.

2. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    If you go on Amazon and look up cigarette lighter adapters they have some heavy duty ones, and the ones that you push a button to turn on and off (they work very well and don't pop loose either). The downside you are going to have to cut the adapter you have a attach the wire to the new adapter. I had to do this in one of my Porsches and the AMG GTS. I am going to hardwire the unit in my 458 because I am using the cig adapter to charge my phone.

3. ncjetskier

ncjetskier Formula 3

Jul 7, 2012
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Thanks! I will look up the part on Amazon! I don't mind cutting the cord to the radar detector and soldering a new end to it.

4. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    On my 360 I wired my V1 into the dome light in the overhead console. Was great because then Smoky could not see the cord.

On the 458 I have not yet done that. The reason your plug keeps popping out is because it is a different size (diameter) than a cigarette lighter. My BMW motorcycle had the same issue