car design thread | Page 368 | FerrariChat

car design thread

Discussion in 'Creative Arts' started by jm2, Oct 19, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
  2. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    ModernLou, colombo2cam, Tcar and 2 others like this.
  3. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Hadn't seen this.
    Who did it?
    Is it a one off or series production?
    Where and who will be making them if production?

Googled it & nothing comes up.......
    Where did you find it?

anunakki likes this.
  4. Qvb

Qvb F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2003
    Newport Beach Ca.
    Full Name:
    John Dixon
    A lot to like here. I love the simplicity, so rare today. Where does this car fit in the lineup? Turbo V8, so maybe just above the Portofino?

anunakki likes this.
  5. Qvb

Qvb F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2003
    Newport Beach Ca.
    Full Name:
    John Dixon
    It's on the Ferrari website. Production car.

jm2 likes this.
  6. lambchop

lambchop Karting

Apr 29, 2005
    We all see different things in design, maybe what we want to see. The new Ferrari Rorschach is Low Drag E for me with some Miami Vice thrown in for good measure. And, I like it. Photos, especially Ferrari's, never come close to doing new cars justice. So far, however, I like this direction.

7. energy88

Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
  8. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    OK, so it's a gen u ine Ferrari.
    Like all new designs I need to see it in the tin to really evaluate it....BUT....from the photos I'll venture the following impressions:
    beauty
    simplicity
    elegance
    traditional
    voluptuous
    clean

I'll add to that as i look more closely at the photos.

9. Qvb

Qvb F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2003
    Newport Beach Ca.
    Full Name:
    John Dixon
  10. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    It is certainly all those things. Interestingly, I see a lot of Aston Martin in the front 2/3 of the car

But that is hardly a knock - both are extremely graceful

11. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Guess it will grow on me... :(

Isobel likes this.
  12. energy88

Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    colombo2cam likes this.
  13. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    It's good looking alright, but those headlights need to be shortened and made less conspicuous. Very tight greenhouse and nicely blended side crease. The front does look a bit generic like the Mazda Miata is, but don't go overboard on the grill like alot of other lesser companies seem to do(BMW/Lexus ect.).

Maybe they should go more rounded on the front grill and frontend, retro 1966/67 GTB4.

14. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Maybe just use the Monza SP2 nose on the car. This nose is not great, but still good looking and somewhat Aston Martin like, only better.

colombo2cam likes this.
  15. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    Loving it. Ferrari is moving on from the surface cuts and slices and they are...simplifying.

And kudos for trying new things like the grill and tail lights. These might come off as kind of weird and jarring, but new often is.

Looking at video the side seems a little "plumpy", I wonder if the section curves could have been made a little tighter.

But mostly I'm grateful for the simplification of the design.

-F

16. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I love the Ferrari Roma. It's the first new Ferrari in years that I've thought actually looked really good.

Modern Ferraris have, unfortunately, looked overwrought on detailing, with juvenile-looking winglets, vents, and creases everywhere that made them look like an assault on the eyeballs. The Roma recaptures much of the elegance the brand has been losing. I think it's a step in the right direction.

All the best,
    Andrew.

furmano, anunakki and jm2 like this.
  17. Continental AutoSports

Sponsor

Aug 22, 2006
    Hinsdale, IL
    Full Name:
    Bobby Williams / Parts Manager
    #9192 Continental AutoSports, Nov 15, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
    While I haven't totally cozied up to the Roma just yet, I agree with you regarding the almost over-engineering of do-dads on the exterior of their current lineup. The Roma is pedestrian in the Ferrari realm but I'm ok with that, even appreciate it more.

furmano, anunakki and NeuroBeaker like this.
  18. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
    Like it, though don't see much Ferrari there - maybe a little 612/375MM in the lower fender door profile - though that may be reflection creating subtle cove?

19. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    #9195 furmano, Nov 16, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
  20. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    The rear end is basically lifted from the 365. It just has updated tailights.

21. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
    Notice a bit of Daytona in the rear fascia portion of the deck lid, now that you mention, but my design finesse game could be more alert - ie can see Daytona influence in the 456 thru quarters & rear w/out my readers!

A little thick in these images, as Ferrari's can sometimes be, but dig the lines overall and appreciate the de-disco'd cleanliness.

of2worlds and anunakki like this.
  22. 330 4HL

330 4HL Formula 3

May 12, 2005
    Vancouver
    Full Name:
    Rick Bradner
    I can't argue with your characterization of the Roma, and yet I find it decidedly uninspiring.
    I see the front 3/4 view as somewhat ubiquitous and with little personality, and the nose reminds me of too many cheap kit cars from the late 50s like the multitude of Devins.
    Not long ago, talking about the 4 Rotor Corvette and I said " to this day, that was the Corvette I really wanted - soft curves, and sharp lines in equal measure; really sophisticated design."

That was a car I lusted after, the Roma is not -

jm2 likes this.
  23. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Had a long discussion with my designer friends about the Roma the other day. Several divergent points of view. Everyone was in agreement that it was refreshing to see a design that didn't rely on lines going everywhere all over the body. Yet some of us thought that maybe it would have been better to treat the D'Line/window opening more like the 'old' Daytona rather than looking like a Jag or Aston. I'm not a fan of 'retro' but some elements could have been better associated with Ferrari's rich design history. If one were to remove all the badging and ask what car it is, not sure Ferrari would be the answer.

The body color grille opening brought memories of a mid '80's Cadillac we did. :eek: Funny how what goes around comes around.

Overall I do like the Roma. It's a step in the right direction in bringing back beauty to design execution. Something that has been lacking of late. IMHO, it just needs a bit more 'spice'/character in the overall execution to give it more Ferrari and less generic. But I believe the customers will respond positively. And at the end of the day, that's what it's all about
    . Image Unavailable, Please Login

kandi, rmnunez, of2worlds and 6 others like this.
  24. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    My issue is less with the 'eggcrate', rather more with the huge black/multi-material/texture spoiler/intake below it......too big and too much going on.....:confused:

jm2 likes this.