The C8 and future Ferrari sales? | Page 17 | FerrariChat

The C8 and future Ferrari sales?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Nachtfalter, Jul 21, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Any new car with a warranty will have maintenance costs less than a 360,430 or 458.

Until the C8 has rear seats for my child.. there is a reason a 911 is a better all around car.

I don’t think people realize how non-impressed people will be by the C8 will be until it’s out for 3 months. Everyone will have one.

randkin and G. Pepper like this.
  2. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    i recently saw a parked c7 z06 in a lot and i was impressed. probably several years old. doesnt matter what civilians think, true car people will always be impressed w cool cars regardless how many are on street

3. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    sampling bias.
    In a forum for quilting, posters will prefer quilting over playing Minecraft.
    doesn't mean quilting is a more popular activity.

4. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Hey most likely most posters here have some knowledge of the supply and demand curves. There is no question that the introduction of a new low cost high performance sports car will affect the sales of used similar used sports car (more supply) – C8 vs. 360/430/458. The only question is how much. I would suggest in short term the demand, given a reasonable economy is more constant perhaps slightly increasing.

However I would suggest that the C8 will not affect those Fcars prices so much.

The supply of the 360/430/458 is very limited relative to the supply of the C8 after the first year of production. The C8 while not unlimited will be relative plentiful (and they will be making more in large quantities each year) vs. the supply 360/430/458 is still relative limited. Also the vehicles are not exactly comparable – newer vs older, the charisma of a Fcar vs. Corvette, warrantee vs. no warrantee, lower maintenance vs higher maintenance, convenience of service (most cities have a Chevy dealer and only larger cities have Fdealer or folks who can wrench a Fcar.

Folks who have aspired to owning an Fcar are just not the same group of folks who want to own a Corvette although there may be some overlap. The Fcar fans/prospective owners, while a much smaller group are likely far more passionate about Ferrari ownership and less likely to accept substitute (more inelastic demand). The Corvette group is likely a much larger group but perhaps more likely to accept an alternative (elastic demand) since cost of the vehicle is a larger factor in the decision purchasing process. Corvettes have been competing against Ferrari and Porsche for decades. The Corvette has always been a lower cost alternative yet Ferrari and Porsche continue to be able to sell all the vehicles they produce. The price of used Fcars and Pcars continue be substantially higher than Corvettes of a similar year. So IMO the introduction of the C8 is NOT a real game changer but just another factor in the market of sports cars – I could be wrong but I doubt it. :)

5. Mazzie1983

Mazzie1983 Rookie

Nov 13, 2019
    Full Name:
    Caleb Ross
    I get what your saying but I've been through enough cars to know what starts eating at you after you own an exotic, especially when you mix in family and job responsibilities. People dedicated to the brand, history, and nuances of driving a Ferrari will pick a Ferrari everytime. I'm talking about the general demographic of people who want a cool sports car, and are willing to spend beyond what a Mustang costs. Those people cross-shop used Ferrari's, and probably pick up more of them than we realize. Until now.

The C7 did compete but one, the performance wasn't so much crazier on paper than other options, and two the styling made it very generic because it wasn't just C7s flooding the roads. C5, C6, and C7 didn't change enough to notice any major differences, and the higher performance C7s are pretty stiff and brutal, and they aren't mid engine. And the prices on Californias have taken a hit, down to below 100k.

I'll put it this way, I know a doctor who bought a Porsche and he makes multiple six figures a year so affordability is no issue. He went with the Porsche because he could drive it anywhere and not worry about a thing. He could afford a Ferrari no problem, but he simply didn't want the hassle. Another doctor who was on the fence over a Porsche and Ferrari, went with a C8. These people know cars, can pick one, and choose less hassle with great performance everytime. They also don't need everyone gawking over their car. They don't mind being seen, but really don't care if anyone notices. They want the car to look good to them.

None of this should be a problem for a potential die-hard used Ferrari buyer, because it will drive out the non-purists and make them more accessible to those who really want the Ferrari. Prices on 360s and Californias are below 100k, along with 308s, 348s, and 355s. It's a great time to be a used Ferrari buyer, and I believe we can thank the lower cost higher performance options in the market for that. The C8 just became the Joker in the deck for high performance sports cars.

nexus77241 and one4torque like this.
  6. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    G. Pepper likes this.
  7. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    When the corvette can no longer carry two full sets of golf clubs and stops highlighting that I’ll go look at it... :D

Just kidding. I won’t be interested regardless. Just too many amazing Ferrari’s to choose from.

After attending the FCA national event this year in AZ around 700 other owners and immersing yourself in with all those F-cars on the road...

No way on the c8... I’ll take all that our Ferrari ownerships dish out.

I don’t think there is really anything else to discuss. This thread was done a month ago.

Time to put something you love in your garage.

Robb

INTMD8 likes this.
  8. Mercedes

Mercedes Karting

May 1, 2018
    Full Name:
    Orlando mercid
    that is the point. beat up on the c8. ride it use it enjoy it ,couldn't do that with my Ferrari !!! but look at it sitting in the garage. couldn't go pass the mileage because then it would depreciate.or break down. even my brothers 458 has multiple issues. c8 1 word reliability! theirs not one Ferrari owner that has not gone out in there car and hope something dint break..not even my 91 nsx or Bentley had so many issues.as these cars.

9. Bill ochrane

Bill ochrane Karting

Oct 26, 2018
    Galveston, Texas
    Full Name:
    William Cochrane
    Let's face it, boys and girls. Most of us can admit we own a Ferrari because they are unique in many ways. I live in a tourist town southeast of Houston. On any summer weekend, the Island is congested with hundreds of expensive cars. But, it's rare to see a Ferrari or Lambo. Plenty of Corvette's? All colors. Left and right. Everywhere. The C8 will be all over the place too.

10. kes7u

kes7u Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2017
    Shorewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    #410 kes7u, Nov 13, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
    EXACTLY! You are correct! You want a new, modern, reliable, fast and extremely common sports car. You have chosen well. Enjoy it.

(But why did you buy a Ferrari to drive in the first place if you were afraid to drive it over depreciation fears?)

Kevin

11. Bill ochrane

Bill ochrane Karting

Oct 26, 2018
    Galveston, Texas
    Full Name:
    William Cochrane
    Seriously? you say - "c8 1 word reliability!". How long have you had your C8? LOL

Robb likes this.
  12. Mazzie1983

Mazzie1983 Rookie

Nov 13, 2019
    Full Name:
    Caleb Ross
    I agree, however I think people are grouping "reliable", and "cheap to fix" together. I think the point being made here is there is an equation in everyones head where they combine performance, maintenance costs, exclusivity, styling, and other intangibles. Used Ferraris used to have the equation in their favor because performance was even, or close enough that you would say a Porsche or Vette didn't have enough to stop you from spending 10k more plus higher maintence for the Ferrari. The C8 has pushed it on performance and some would say styling to make a lot of people reconsider how much exclusivity and brand feelings really matter to them.

13. CarAholic

CarAholic Formula Junior

May 10, 2016
    Still don’t believe sales will be hurt on the used F market because of the C8, two different buyers in most instances. I don’t understand the emphasis on performance so much. Cars are way to fast today and 99% of people do not track their cars. A 360 is way more then enough performance on the streets, my F430 is way to much to really explore. I daily drive a C7 Z06 and it’s one of the biggest mistakes I have made in my car buying decision history. Your in a constant state of constraint when you drive the car as you can never really get into it. If you feed the beast at all your in triple digit territory. Now it would be a great track car or weekend mountain brawler but it is not a DD. For most this may make sense just off the cuf. Where the Ferrari separates itself from the vett is it’s an experience at slow speeds and still provides excitement. My Z on the other hand is just boring and dull driving slowly around town. When you open it up it’s fantastic but that is few and far between. This isn’t necessarily a vett problem either just a new car problem. They are getting to easy to drive and your being constantly being placed further away from the driver experience. Rant over

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Will see if the c8 performs better .... need more testing on track and real world to see if it has the fizz!

if it has the performance numbers in the important areas to perf car people And it is inexpensive and reliable... the c8 will be taken seriously

I’m anxiously waiting for this data.

in the mean time I’m fixing my 360 dash stickies suspension warning light. At least that’s it right now lol!

15. kes7u

kes7u Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2017
    Shorewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I've had a periodic, worsening suspension warning light since I purchased the car. From my reading, it is most likely one of the vertical acceleration sensors or less likely one of the shocks. STILL haven't been able to hook it up to an SD2 to diagnose. Have you diagnosed yours??

Kevin

16. Loucho26

Loucho26 Rookie

May 19, 2019
    New york
    Full Name:
    Anzelmo giovanniello
    A C8 is a everyday car a F430 is a weekend car. I would park a c8 at any food store and wouldn’t care if it got a dent. A C8 is someone who can’t afford a Ferrari

Apollo 11 likes this.
  17. Mazzie1983

Mazzie1983 Rookie

Nov 13, 2019
    Full Name:
    Caleb Ross
    But plenty of them can. The price of a C8 is even with what a 360/California would cost, and not far from a 430. That is the point, there are far more people out there who may have gone with a used Ferrari until the C8 came around. It's all speculative as to why, but what is not speculative is the depreciation and current pricing on used 430s/360s and even the California.

18. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Usually the one behind the passenger engine panel due to the heat.

kes7u likes this.
  19. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    I love all the comments about reliability and driving dynamics for a car that hasn't been released yet. Love it. When it gets outside the warranty period parts will be cheaper.. but we don't know how "reliable" Chevrolets first mid engine car since the Fiero will be over time. Will the frame crack? Will the heating lines fail? The key is.. nobody knows until it's out. Especially long term reliability.

randkin likes this.
  20. kes7u

kes7u Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2017
    Shorewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Thank you!! I may try just changing that one out.

Kevin

21. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    And plenty can't. What is to say that someone looking for a used sports car who had money to spend on a 360 or 430 would have gone with the C8. Why would they go with a C8 versus a Lexus coupe? Or for that matter a Mustang GT350? You assume that someone would buy based only on the "mid engine" layout?
    Hmmm... let me see if I have a spare around for testing this weekend...

kes7u likes this.
  22. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    Honestly I’m not overly surprised that on a Ferrari forum there aren’t many corvette fans, especially
    considering we either have owned or own a Ferrari. But it appears the many in the car field believe the C8 will have an impact, some believe it will shake current modern supercars prices loose from their current values the question is how much.

I do think it’s going to have an impact, but I do t know how much and I don’t think the impact will happen until the more performance oriented variants come out.

Again my crystal ball is quite fuzzy but the only way I see 360 and 430 prices affected is if it shakes the price of the 458 and 488 loose. Some of the price deprishiation will be due to Ferrari’s own marketing of new cars, offerings from Mclaren, Porsche, and Lamborghini but some will be due to another midengined performance car entering the arena. So if 458 and 488 are easier on the wallet folks that want to move up will and will be offering their 360’s and 430’s for sale creating more supply. But the above is all a big what if and full of maybeys and could be’s.

So yeah I think the C8 will take away a few new buyers looking for a first play toy, but likely not seasoned car buyers especially if they have previously owned a Ferrari and liked it. How much it will impact prices remains to be seen.

Loucho26 likes this.
  23. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Like some already said, there seems to be a confusion between cheap repairs vs. reliability. They certainly are not the same. Some cars are reliable and some are cheap to repair but few cars are both cheap to repair AND reliable. In this case we are just assuming the repairs will be cheap and no information on reliability. So this is currently just speculation on both matters IMO. :rolleyes::confused:

Dewinator and vrsurgeon like this.
  24. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    Who knows what the long term effect is on used Fcars .. to me the real question is Do I go out and pay $400 k for a new turbo charged F8 beautiful car etc or do I pay $80k for a new C8 corvette also a beautiful car.. while they may not be exactly comparable . I think that is where any impact will ...atleast for the next 3 years .

25. FerrariF50lover

FerrariF50lover Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Nate
    This is such a funny discussion. First this conversation came about when the Gallardo came out and people said there would be no impact, then the 12C came out and people said there would be no impact. Now the truth is there were allocations going unsold for 488's and new cars that you could catch a discount on. The Ferrari competitors made pretty big impacts on the V8 market. If you think the C8 won't sway some buyers you're a fool.