Official C8 Corvette picture thread | Page 20 | FerrariChat

Official C8 Corvette picture thread

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by atomicskiracer, Jul 19, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Beard Bros.

Beard Bros. Karting

Aug 22, 2018
    Midwest USA
    Full Name:
    James
    As noted in an earlier post in this thread I have an early allocation secured for a C8 coupe. After seeing the convertible model I have changed my order. Although the convertible is slated for late 2020 1st qtr. production I think it will be worth the wait. I like the way it looks and I think it will be a great GT car. I have seen all the reviews and comparisons and I think for the price you get a good looking, easily serviceable GT car. It will have depreciation just like any other mass produced car but it has a lot going for it. Of course it is by no means a Ferrari and it is a completely different animal than my 1989 328 GTS, but I know I will enjoy it and since I have been wrenching on GM cars all my life it should be easy to take care of. Here are a couple pics of the spec I have on order.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

of2worlds, Boomhauer, CK7684 and 6 others like this.
  2. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Yah I was only interested in a convertible so I put down a deposit the day they showed the coupe. I'm keeping my Alfa 4c as they are apples and oranges. The Vette is really a luxury GT daily driver --and there's nothing wrong in that. The 4c is a real sports car.

LightGuy and Beard Bros. like this.
  3. Beard Bros.

Beard Bros. Karting

Aug 22, 2018
    Midwest USA
    Full Name:
    James
    I saw the Elkhart Lake Blue C8 that has been on tour at Hawk Chevy in Joliet IL on 10/8/19. Here is a list of my thoughts and things I noticed about the car.

• First off I have to say the car looks better when you see it in person and I cannot wait to drive it.
    • I am 6' tall, 205lbs, regular build and the drivers cockpit is a perfect fit. Everything was within reach and the layout makes everything easily visible. The interior is a 3LT option and the build materials are of high quality and it all feels good to the touch. The seat bolsters are worn out from the 20000 people that have been in and out of the car. I watched for a while and over half the people getting in the car slid their ass all the way down the seat before they sat down. I made it a point to try and get into the drivers seat without doing that and it was no problem, easy ingress and egress for me, no worries about worn out seats. The gray interior is also very nice in person. The only part of the interior I have seen show wear is the seats, everything else seems to be holding up well.
    • I brought my bodyshop paint matching light, the sun-gun, along with me and checked out the quality of the paint on this car and it is very nice. The metallics are all laying nice and even with no mottling and the bumpers and other parts all match perfectly. I am told this one was done on the C7 production line so it should be close to production models, but I am sure there was some extra care taken in these touring show cars. Along with this the clearcoat is glass flat and smooth. There is no way the production cars are going to have a finish this nice, I have never seen a North American OEM production car without some texture, or orange-peel as some would say, in the clearcoat. Since this is a show car it has been color sanded and buffed out like a high end showcar would be. I have alot of experience with this as I own a bodyshop and have done many custom cars over the last 30 years. I am sure the paint quality will be as good or better than the C7 but we will have to wait until some real production cars come off the line to see what they will really look like.
    • The front and rear storage areas are larger than I expected. Your not going to be able to bring all the stuff back from Home Depot to build your garage but there is a surprising amount of room for luggage if you wanted to take it across the USA on tour.
    • The engine bay looks very cool with the exposed LT2 under glass. It will however be exposed to any water from rain or washing via the vents alongside the rear hatch glass. So expect to be cleaning the engine bay if you get it wet and want to show off a perfect looking engine. Also as with any car if you drive it in the rain there will be some residual mist/road grime that will make its way into that area which will also make it more of a chore to keep show quality clean.
    • After looking at the engine bay and the trunk area behind it and seeing the cutaway car video I see it is obvious what we will see with the guys who are going to modify these cars for the high horsepower applications. If you remove the rear trunk and all the plastic covers in that area you will have a very large area for turbos and exhaust, of course you lose the ability to stow your removable roof panel though. As for supercharging applications it looks like there is plenty of room between the engine and the glass for one but the logistics of getting the belt drive setup to work will be a little tricky, but someone will figure it out.
    • I think the forward visibility and proportions of the car are just right, not too big or small, too wide or tall ( hey I sound like Dr Suess! ). It looks like it will be an easy car to get used to driving and knowing where your corners are.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    with the z-51 option, are summer tires fitted? if so are they run flats or do we get a spare wheel(space saver)?

5. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    All season on base, summer for z51. All runflats I believe even w michelin 4s. Must be like vette mpsc which were runflat as opposed to the usual ones

6. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    No spare tire. All tires are runflats (base and Z51)

7. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Interesting observations about the paint quality and what might be a more realistic expectation for the regular production C8 builds. The mottling problem was especially an issue on the silver paint for the C7 where that color was restricted for some period of time as they worked to resolve that paint problem. Time constraints in the regular paint process seem to contribute to the 'orange peel' issues. I think clear coat on the C7 is noted as being a very hard type of finish.
    GM spent millions on a new paint department but time constraints seem to hurt the finished paint results. I believe the front and rear facia pieces are now painted with the body instead of at a separate location for a better matching color appearance.
    Even something as simple as the suspension geometry settings for the C7 has more latitude than would be preferred under ideal production conditions. Again with production time demands allowing tighter tolerances to be REJECTED during the manufacturing process. Thank you for sharing your paint knowledge and thoughts regarding the new C8 Corvette!

8. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
  9. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
  10. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
  11. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    might as well park the car
    useless in the snow w/o snow tires
    had a ridiculous snowfall today here in MoTown. Way too early for this crap

12. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    OOPS!

"Good tires" Bob mused while smoking a cigarette "but certainly not great tires"

13. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Like I said.........they are useless w/o snow tires, this time of the year.
    Might as well park it for 3-4 months.
    Yesterday was pretty dicey driving, even by Michigan standards!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

of2worlds and TheMayor like this.
  14. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    how the heck do you people live there?

VAF84, Thecadster and jm2 like this.
  15. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    rdefabri, TheMayor, crinoid and 3 others like this.
  16. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
  17. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    No.
    Chuck Jordan had one as well as Henry Haga.
    Mitchell never owned a Ferrari. C. Jordan owned several.

of2worlds likes this.
  18. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Bill Mitchell drove the dream cars that GM created. The closest Bill Mitchell got to a foreign car was a Rolls Royce in a London fog. That car was said to be the inspiration for a new Cadillac coupe. However plans changed and the car was instead sold with a different model name as the new Buick Riviera.

19. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
  20. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Not for me, thanks

21. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
  22. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    must be, not my photo

of2worlds likes this.
  23. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
  24. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    One of big GM execs had a Pontiac Firebird with a Ferrari V12 installed. It was a very interesting car.