lack sf90 interest? | Page 6 | FerrariChat

lack sf90 interest?

Discussion in 'SF90 Stradale' started by 95spiderman, Oct 31, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Finally Ferrari makes a state of the art car and people dismiss it cause they don’t understand how it works...

2. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    I agree, with the caveat that all modern Ferraris are state of the art, whether they use electric motors or not. ;)

Boomhauer likes this.
  3. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    The Porsche 918 and the LMP cars also use front electric motors.

Yes, adds deadweight, but 1000 bhp to the rear wheels is a lot of power, and also they can use torque vectoring. It actually works, although some say that feels artificial.

maclover, Caeruleus11 and Igor Ound like this.
  4. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    There is less than 850HP to the rear wheels of the SF90 (IC engine+3rd electric motor, together I think is ~840HP).

As for the 918, yes, it does use front electric motors, also weak motors. Even the Telsa (155mph) and Taycan (170mph) have more effective electric motors than the SF90.

as for LMP, according to what I can find in this chat
    https://www.reddit.com/r/FormulaE/comments/auhfs3/til_the_toyota_lmp_endurance_car_has_368_kw_of/

they are so inconsequential that it almost does not matter, but, I could not find reference that they use electric motors to drive the front wheels, only the engine for boost like the KERS in F1. I am not immersed in LMP tech, but from here it looks like LMP may eventually due electric front motors:
    https://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=107659&page=410&styleid=2

of2worlds likes this.
  5. raclaims

raclaims Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2007
    Northern NJ
    I'm super excited to get mine honestly. What surprised me is that they are making it relatively "easy" to get. Maybe it's the price tag?

I put down my deposit a couple months ago.

6. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    They do.

"The front system utilised a 185 kW (248 hp) motor–generator (MGU) on the front axle; when braking, kinetic energy was converted into electrical energy, which was stored in water-cooled A123 Systems lithium-ion battery packs that were installed centrally in the passenger side.[14][17] This gave the front axle better electrical energy regeneration and traction under braking,[9] eliminating turbo lag.[21] Under acceleration, the front generator operated as a single electric motor to run the front wheels via a differential with electricity upfront and petrol at the rear.[11][21] It temporarily made the car four-wheel drive as the electric motor directed an extra 400 hp (300 kW) to the front wheels for a total of 1,000 hp (750 kW)."
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porsche_919_Hybrid

of2worlds, jpalmito and F142George like this.
  7. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    In real life too

8. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Congrats we will be anxiously awaiting your pics and vids. Any idea on when you will get delivery?

9. Jas

Jas Formula 3

Mar 2, 2005
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Jas
    Ugly, heavy, overpriced and only 875hp normally.

day355, furoni and Astrid.Didier like this.
  10. therryzsx

therryzsx Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2011
    it's impossible to always be a winner, Ferrari is run by human and human make mistake ...

Astrid.Didier likes this.
  11. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Only 875... you can hardly follow the traffic flow with that kind of puny power...

x z8, Napoli, PTG1 and 4 others like this.
  12. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Not much to do there now, current mods decided to turn that section in Mercedes f1 chat, so tiffosi have left the building...Elton buddies have no one else to troll so they went back to under the rocks they came out! Posts went dow more than 50% so all is quite now.....

stavura and Igor Ound like this.
  13. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    maybe we should hang out in the f1 section of mclarenchat, would get fewer trolls there for sure and is just as interesting right now

14. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Possibly :)...i guess we won't find many elton fanboys around there...trhey're all on Ferrarichat!

15. Twosherpaz

Twosherpaz Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2014
    Thermal, CA
    Full Name:
    Private
    I am also shocked that the majority of posts here denigrate the SF90. Shocked!

This is the fastest street car Ferrari has ever built. The most technology, aero, speed ever.

I guess I just fell off the turnip truck. But after spending the last three seasons driving my FXX Evo or FXXK Evo, I am excited to get to have the evolution of that technology transformed into a phenomenal street car.

16. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    I agree. The SF 90 is amazing.

Tell me about the battery technology how it has functioned? My only hesitation is about the electric portion, given Ferrari’s battery issues. For instance we could not take our 812 on a trip a couple of months ago because it would not start - having been faithfully kept on the charger.

I know the Evo is track only, but have you found it to be reliable?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

jpalmito likes this.
  17. KenU

KenU Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2004
    Planet Earth
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Not to worry. I won’t leave you on the side of the road. I’ll come pick you up and we’ll both go get our SF90’s together!:D

of2worlds and jumpinjohn like this.
  18. Jas

Jas Formula 3

Mar 2, 2005
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Jas
    Deliberately missing the point?

The point is the advertised 1000cv is only available for 1 lap in its special track attack mode. The normal power output is 875cv (860hp?).

So, for 860hp you have a car that is MUCH heavier than a much cheaper F8 Tributo, with probably lower power to weight. How is that an achievement?

WLFerrari likes this.
  19. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Im not sure that's entirely true, I think in other modes you can- at times- get the benefit of all that power.

Its just new technology, things are a little different. With F8 or prior cars you have the potential to get at all that power at any time, but you can only get it with high revs- which is exciting- but its not like you use all 720cv of the F8 all the time either.

And lets keep in mind F8, SF90, etc, they are all street cars, so weight does matter, but I think Ferrari is a master of hiding that weight in most street circumstances. I am excited about the SF90, I expect it will be brilliant to drive- Ferrari is not going to disappoint with this car!

x z8, Andrew97, stavura and 3 others like this.
  20. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    I think it's great that you'll have that chance, i'm pretty sure it's an amazing machine, an i guess for the price nothing will come close to it...but...it wouldn't hurt if it was a little bit better looking!!!!

21. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Max power is not available just for one lap. At any rate, even in the lower power setting it will be much quicker than an F8.

x z8 likes this.
  22. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    My view is this car represents what the 959/918 did for Porsche, a technological marvel but because the tech overshadows the car itself. I don't particularly like the idea of yet another turbo V8 car, simplistically one could say Ferrari actually makes only two engines, one of which is now used ins 4 different cars, its difficult to give an engine a distinct character when used in 4 applications, all of which are vastly different, I hope that have succeeded at this but for me the looks of the SF are really off putting, granted it might look fantastic in person but the pictures so far show a rather odd mix of La Ferrari, 488 and F8.

Astrid.Didier and Caeruleus11 like this.
  23. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I added an underline- because my reaction to the statement you made, which is entirely reasonable and understandable, is- but yet they have! The V8 turbo is quite different feeling in the Portofino, Pista, and F8. Haven't driven the GTB in a while so its hard to compare. You rightly have put your finger on one of their challenges, but I think they are up to the task.

24. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    The Australian launch will be in Victoria my State. The car is not for me but im invited to see her in the flesh. Crazy thing is our state will be forced 9 cars to sell however in another state NSW they are being told to sell 40 !. I cant see 40 buyers for Million dollar plus cars. The game has certainly changed.

25. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    I disagree slightly with you, I drove the Portofino, the 488 GTB and the 488 Spider and honestly could not tell much difference between the applications, the sound of the engine to my ear mostly the same. I am sure though the Pista should be very different and really hope it is!

Perhaps the F8 will be different again, based on videos so far this might be the case.

Caeruleus11 likes this.