355 - Headlight problems | FerrariChat

355 Headlight problems

Discussion in '348/355' started by thurman_merman, Nov 13, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. thurman_merman

Jul 26, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Here's a weird one. I have lost my high beams somehow. When I pull the lever for highs my foglights come on as if my headlights weren't on. Fuses are good, i swapped the low and high relays and I have the same result. No voltage at the high beam headlight plug, if I switch the plugs the high beams run on the low beam circuit. Any ideas? TIA

2. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    #2 Qavion, Nov 13, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
    Aren't you supposed to push the lever to get your high beams on? Or do you just want to flash your high beams?

Anyway, looking at the wiring diagrams, it's possible that your "flasher" relay isn't working. That's relay "A" on most 355's (or "E5" as is printed on the relay panel socket). It's a Bosch 0332209159. I can't think of anything you could swap it with as swapping a similar relay in the forward luggage compartment might affect the operation of your headlights (in a different way). Do you have any spare relays? Otherwise, clean the relay pins/sockets or "percuss" it, to see if you can coax it into life.

Here's the diagram:

F355 USA Lighting Wiring Diagram

3. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    If you had a bit of wire, you could remove relay "A" and jumper the sockets "30" and "87" . That way you could prove the relay was faulty (or perhaps the wiring to the relay solenoid).

Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Andy 355

Andy 355 Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2013
    Sydney
    In some configurations, the pulling back on the stalk is used to flash on the fogs as a warning to other motorists you are about to pass them. And is 'fog' indeed the correct term for these lights? Assuming we are referring to the round lights housed in the front lower bumper bar.

5. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Usually the round ones (daytime flashers) are inhibited with the low beam headlights on. The inhibit is provided by relay "A". Fortunately, the OP's thorough description has provided some excellent clues to work with. I'm pretty sure it's related to that relay.

USA cars have combined "round" front fog and daytime flashers.

6. Andy 355

Andy 355 Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2013
    Sydney
    Good info there. ☺

7. thurman_merman

Jul 26, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Nice work guys. Flasher relay pictured. I swapped it with one of the headlight motor relays next to it and confirmed operation. The corrosion is confined to the relay, a new one and I'll be good to go. I had no idea "flasher" was the fogs, I assumed it was the hazard flasher. You guys saved me from digging into this way deeper than I needed to. I appreciate the help.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Qavion likes this.
  8. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Excellent!

As I said earlier, you gave me lots to work with. It makes "remote diagnosis" much easier.

Just wondering why the corrosion is so specific. I might have a look at mine today.

9. thurman_merman

Jul 26, 2017
    Austin, TX
    After posting I decided it would be a good idea to check the rest of my relays and they all seem to have a touch of corrosion around some of the pins along that row. As far as I can tell there is no corrosion into the fuse block and the connections within. I even opened the bad relay and there is no corrosion internally. Something corrosive must have dripped there at some point and not been cleaned properly. I don't know what else could have happened. I'll be replacing all of the relays along that row.

Qavion likes this.
  10. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Sorry, I should have mentioned that earlier. It's a common misunderstanding. The combined hazard/turn relay is in the cabin almost directly above the forward luggage compartment release handle. i.e. just above the top of the carpet.

Anyway, please let us know how the new relay goes.

Cheers.