Ferrari ROMA | Page 37 | FerrariChat

Ferrari ROMA

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by ajr550, Feb 7, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    I think it would look better if it was at least 2 inches shorter behind the front wheels

Attached Files:

AD211 and Alpintourer like this.
  2. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    And look gorgeous...and so does the silver....incredible how the red with shields looks so bad compared to these two!

3. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    That's the Miata :)

4. Garretto

Garretto F1 Rookie

Sep 3, 2003
    Bilbao, Spain
    Full Name:
    Rodolfo Di Pietro
    Actually, it should be the other wayr Ound :D

elmadi and Igor Ound like this.
  5. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    new stratos? ;)

6. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    2 inches longer makes quite the difference ;)

7. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    especially in diameter. :)

llk likes this.
  8. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    I meant radius... ;)

italiafan likes this.
  9. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
  10. manya81

manya81 Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2008
    Full Name:
    Robert
    It’s me or the wheels looks much biger than the Portofino ones?
    Other than that I LOVE the sf90 and LOVE this new Roma.
    I think that Ferrari is achieving what they predicted, differentiating 2 different product lines, Sports cars and GT cars.
    Honestly don't worry me what others think about aesthetics, It’s always a matter of personal taste and it’s something that makes this world wonderful.

Ciao! buona giornata!

PS: Really like the front grill

11. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #911 4th_gear, Nov 14, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
    Personally-speaking I am not into coupes... too claustrophobic, one-dimensional driving experience.

I do not like some of the design details but I do like the overall purpose of the design, which appears to present an elegant 2+2 GT in a body that is substantial but manages to not look too big and clumsy.

WEIRDNESS
    ===========
    Where I disagree is the unnecessarily weird "grill", which will likely be quickly fixed by many buyers but still haunt the image of the car. I sense the reason for this weirdness is the designer(s) wanted to make a complete break in design cues - which is a mistake, just like what Chris Bangle did with BMW. Ferrari is about tradition, so designs for volume production models need to tip the balance towards being more conservative rather than being more radical. I believe the Roma is not supposed to be an experiment.

DITCHED THE WRONG DESIGN CUES
    =================================
    They should have retained some aspect of the round tail lights so the rear doesn't look so much like a Porsche 911 or Jaguar F-Type. Similarly, they should have used a silver front grill, retained a slender air scoop on the hood. The lights are a bit too linear in shape, too modern. If only the grill were more recognizable as Ferrari, the lights would be OK, but not great, because you tend to just ignore the lights as they are not really innovative.

I think they made too many changes to the interior. They should have retained the round air vents, perhaps in a more modern rendition, but the formless, shape-conforming vents look like standard vents in ordinary passenger cars. The round, exhaust-nozzle-like vents of recent Ferraris have a recognizable form that is iconic for the brand. And the designer(s) tossed it without presenting a similarly iconic, new shape for the new car. Very foolish.

They should have kept the red "ENGINE START" button. What the heck were they thinking?

NOT WISE TO CHASE OR LOOK "MODERN"
    =====================================
    Not impressed with the "iPad" control screen. Flat panel displays are VERY BAD performers in cars because: 1) if you wear polarized sunglasses, they go black, 2) in bright light, you cannot make out what is displayed and 3) it is dangerous to try tapping flat panel control widgets when you are driving. Why do you think really expensive exotics use milled aluminium controls instead touch screens like a Tesla? Why would you want to make a Ferrari interior look more like a Tesla than a Pagani?

Anyway, the Ferrari design team needs to get their heads straight. Are you trying to look exclusive or just modern? I do not think it's a good idea to compete with a modern look... because it's cheap to duplicate. Anyone can copy you. If they wanted "more modern" they should have at least retained more connections to past design cues, make changes slowly.

Maggio23, tomc and AD211 like this.
  12. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Chassis numbers and colors of the four new "Roma" shown yesterday and tonite in Rome:
    247406 Grigio Titanio Metallizzato FQ3238 with Nero VM 8500.
    247610 Rosso Portofino 205111 (228122) with Sabbia 4310.
    248047 Blu Roma (QA016028) with Tortora 130426.
    248644 Bianco Italia with Bordeaux 4481.

Marcel Massini

elmadi, Garretto, R J and 6 others like this.
  13. stavura

stavura Formula 3

Sep 1, 2016
    U.K
    Full Name:
    Harold Lounge
    :D:D:D

14. cesman

cesman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2008
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Craig
    The car looks great and they will sell thousands most likely to buyers who are new to the brand. The overwhelming impression of people at the launch (many of whom are not the target market) was that it is a beautiful car.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and will vote with their wallet - and that’s great because you don’t have to buy it.

Incidentally the new twilight treatment of the SF90 and Roma is fantastic. Unmistakably Ferrari but always modern never retro.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Boomhauer likes this.
  15. George330

George330 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2009
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    George
    Lusso Sales are over...no more orders accepted

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

of2worlds likes this.
  16. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #916 TheMayor, Nov 14, 2019

I’m not insulting AM. I just don’t think AMs are special anymore. They used to be. More profitable? Probably.

The Roma is a beautiful car designed for someone looking at a Panamera or AMG or AM. I get it. But none of these are special and I think Ferrari should be.

On the plus side the car looks amazing, looks like “a Ferrari”, is priced correctly, and has great bones with the SF90 gearbox and V8 turbo motor.

The interior is a bit too Maserati to me though.

of2worlds and JotaEle like this.
  17. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    I would like to hear why someone would choose this over porto? Why give up folding top without clear advantage to do so?

MRJW likes this.
  18. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    I guess you have not heard of CO2 regulations...

Making a machine easy to use is the purpose of every engineer, from an alarm clock to a spaceship.

Absolutely stunning motorcar!!!

It's a lot quicker than the Porto (to the point of 1.5'' to 124 mph) and 200 kilos lighter. Also, a lot of people dislike convertibles.

Boomhauer likes this.
  19. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Is Blu Roma = Blu Simond Marcel?
    Just curious.....

of2worlds likes this.
  20. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Of course an engineer can build a better tool but what they are also essentially doing is also making driving easier and drivers less skilled.
    U see that in F1 no way the 18 year old coming in nowadays can drive the older cars but the opposite is true.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Nothing genetically different about 18 year olds today compared to 30 years ago...of course an 18 year old aspiring F1 driver today can master ANY race car ever built.

Boomhauer likes this.
  22. perrinnation

perrinnation Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2012
    The Detroit area
    Full Name:
    David
    The only think funnier than proclaiming this car looks too much like an Aston are the pronouncements that ‘any’ Ferrari looks like a Corvette! In my mind a Corvette that looks like a Ferrari is a lucky Corvette indeed!

The lines of the Roma harken back to the great Ferrari GTs of the mid/late 60’s. The Daytona for example can be seen (felt) in the Roma.

Seems to me those lines belong to Ferrari anytime they decide to call upon them. Is it just possible....that the Astons some guys keep referring to have been aping Ferrari’s designs instead?

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Boomhauer and G. Pepper like this.
  23. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    What...wait...you think the Roma looks like the Daytona? And you mock people who see Aston Martin in the design?
    Hombre...get to an Optometrist asap.

[gTr], HotShoe and perrinnation like this.
  24. colonels

colonels Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2011
    #924 colonels, Nov 14, 2019
    stavura, pcht5, deltona and 8 others like this.
  25. 500tr

500tr Formula 3

Feb 28, 2004
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Volkmar Spielmann
    Me, designwise, nothing else