What are these reference marks? | FerrariChat

What are these reference marks?

Discussion in '308/328' started by Freddie328, Nov 14, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Freddie328

Freddie328 Formula Junior

Jul 29, 2013
    Herts, UK
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Hi All,
    I'm adjusting the valve clearances on my 328 and noticed these reference marks on the camshaft lip seal /o ring housing. I can't find any reference to what they are there for.
    Anyone got a suggestion?
    Thanks for any help in advance.
    P.S. Whilst in there I found one of the O rings completely chewed up. The belts aren't long changed, so rather than do them again I changed the o ring by slicing a new one with a scalpel, loosened off camshaft, threaded the new o ring through then super glued it together. The join is in the 12.00 position shown in the picture. I figure that once squeezed in, even if the super glue degrades it will be oil tight. I'll replace it correctly next time the belts come off.
    Am I mad?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    Those marks are not "factory". No idea why you'd make them given that the seal housing is free to rotate. Looks like someone thought they had a good idea....which wasn't!

3. Freddie328

Jul 29, 2013
    Herts, UK
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Weird, someones given a lot of time to make them.
    I haven't had these housings off, so don't know whats inside. Are the internals completely symmetrical?
    No oil return hole gallery's to line up etc?

4. Hinecker

Hinecker Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2011
    Morning all,
    Lain is right, those are not factory marks, as a matter of fact, when you remove these housings there are no marks.

John.

5. Freddie328

Jul 29, 2013
    Herts, UK
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Great, thanks for the clarification.
    There's a groove in these housings on the side that mates with the head (which is just about detectable in the pic)
    Is the housing supposed to be positioned so the groove sits at the lowest point, to facilitate oil drainage?
    Maybe someones added the marks to assist in lining this up?

6. Freddie328

Jul 29, 2013
    Herts, UK
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Here is a slightly better view of the groove with the housing rotated slightly.

7. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Actually it was a very good idea.

8. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Correct. One of the causes of oil leakage in that area was oil trapped next to the seal with no drainage. Eventually the factory put a deep groove for that reason and put out a TSB calling for the seal housings to be replaced with the later version. This all happened during 348 production. Seal housings were expensive (NLA now) so many of us filed a deep groove during services. The factory method for alignment was a similar mark to be aligned with a corresponding mark on the valve cover. I just file a small line that should be placed directly upward.

Very good factory recommended modification that anyone servicing these cars should be aware of.

9. Freddie328

Jul 29, 2013
    Herts, UK
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Thanks, really helpful.